From: Fabio Fantoni <fabio.fantoni@m2r.biz>
To: "Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko" <phcoder@gmail.com>
Cc: Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar@gmail.com>,
	The development of GNU GRUB <grub-devel@gnu.org>,
	"xen-devel@lists.xen.org" <xen-devel@lists.xen.org>,
	M A Young <m.a.young@durham.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: pvgrub2 is merged
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 15:17:48 +0100	[thread overview]

Il 28/11/2013 15:05, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko ha scritto:
> [...]
>>> Yes, it was a bit naive on my side. Recursion in principle can be
>>> stopped by using global variable, but search is limited to the first
>>> match only anyway, so I guess it is not worth it.

>>> Please look in grub2 sources at docs/osdetect.cfg. It implements
>>> advanced run-time detection of possible bootable files from
>>> various operating systems. It boils down to loop across all devices,
>>> and of course you can either limit device names (like looking for hd*
>>> only) or explicitly exclude known ones (like memdisk).

>>> Not really. Currently the situation is
>>>
>>> - grub-mkstandalone hardcodes $prefix as (memdisk)/boot/grub
>>> - after launch grub unconditionally starts "normal" module if at all
>>>     possible
>>> - normal module always tries to load and execute $prefix/grub.cfg if no
>>>     explicit configuration file name is given as argument
>>>
>>> But I think that using osdetect.cfg or something based on this idea
>>> won't require changing defaults at all.
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> I did this script that is working about finding and include the grub.cfg
>> of pv domUs with many cases:
>>
>> cat > boot/grub/grub.cfg <<EOF
>> insmod lvm
>> insmod ext2
>> insmod part_msdos
>> insmod part_gpt
>> insmod btrfs
>>
>> insmod regexp
>> for dev in (*); do
>>      # $device: parenthesis removed from $dev
>>      regexp -s device '\((.*)\)' $dev
>>      set root=$device
>>      for file in /boot/vmlinuz-* /boot/linux-*; do
>>          if test -f $file; then
>>              set saved_root=$root
>>          fi
>>      done
>> done
>> set root=$saved_root
>>
>> if test -f /boot/grub2/grub.cfg ; then
>>      configfile /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>> elif test -f /boot/grub/grub.cfg ; then
>>      configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>> fi
>> EOF
>>
>> @xen developer: Are there other modules to insert for other partitions
>> or file systems, other grub cfg path for other distributions or other
>> kernel type to search that support xen pv domUs?
>> I think is good do and post complete pvgrub2 cfg that support all pv domUs.
>>
>> @xen and grub developer: I'm still unable to boot any entry of Sid pv
>> domU using official kernel:
>> xl -vvv create -c /etc/xen/sid.cfg
>> Caricamento Linux 3.11-1-amd64...
>> Caricamento ramdisk iniziale...
>> xc: debug: hypercall buffer: total allocations:247 total releases:247
>> xc: debug: hypercall buffer: current allocations:0 maximum allocations:4
>> xc: debug: hypercall buffer: cache current size:4
>> xc: debug: hypercall buffer: cache hits:236 misses:4 toobig:7
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
> Ah I forgot: you need to "insmod xzio" since debian ones are compressed.
>> If you need more tests/informations tell me and I'll post them.

Thanks for reply, in the meantime I rebuilt updated grub2 from git
(commit    b67422d33de8eee83700db534a45b2ac5e5ed67a)  and there is a
regression from build of some days ago (I don't remember the exact
commit, probably was of 24 or 25 november).
Fails on script I posted on previous mail showing some errors:
> kern/dl.c:619: module name: test
> kern/dl.c:620: init function: 0x3f5abdd4
> error: two arguments expected.
> commands/wildcard.c:164: Regexp is ^vmlinuz-.*$
> commands/wildcard.c:164: Regexp is ^linux-.*$
> error: two arguments expected.
> commands/wildcard.c:164: Regexp is ^vmlinuz-.*$
> commands/wildcard.c:164: Regexp is ^linux-.*$
> error: two arguments expected.
> commands/wildcard.c:164: Regexp is ^vmlinuz-.*$
> commands/wildcard.c:164: Regexp is ^linux-.*$

Full log with debug on attachment.