* How to force the use of git-native?
@ 2013-12-12 15:06 Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2013-12-12 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto Project

I've found that the latest bitbake fetcher changes (require
the use of branch names) fails with older versions of git.
I have a Fedora 13 machine which I routinely use to build
my Yocto projects that has git version 1.7.7.6.  On that machine,
all git fetches fail, no matter what.  On my Ubuntu builder
which has git 1.7.9.4, all is OK.

I see that there is a git recipe in OE-core.  How can I force
it to be built and used where the host's native git is inadequate?

Thanks

* Re: How to force the use of git-native?
@ 2013-12-12 16:20 ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2013-12-12 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: yocto

Hi Gary,

On Thursday 12 December 2013 08:06:31 Gary Thomas wrote:
> I've found that the latest bitbake fetcher changes (require
> the use of branch names) fails with older versions of git.
> I have a Fedora 13 machine which I routinely use to build
> my Yocto projects that has git version 1.7.7.6.  On that machine,
> all git fetches fail, no matter what.  On my Ubuntu builder
> which has git 1.7.9.4, all is OK.
>
> I see that there is a git recipe in OE-core.  How can I force
> it to be built and used where the host's native git is inadequate?

The solution we provide for this kind of situation is buildtools-tarball, as
described here (linked from the QS guide as well):

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#required-git-tar-and-python-versions

Interesting that git 1.7.7.6 is still not adequate though, that may be a
prompt to either fix the check to work with older versions of git or
increase our version number requirement.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: How to force the use of git-native?
@ 2013-12-12 16:28   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2013-12-12 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: yocto

On 2013-12-12 09:20, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> On Thursday 12 December 2013 08:06:31 Gary Thomas wrote:
>> I've found that the latest bitbake fetcher changes (require
>> the use of branch names) fails with older versions of git.
>> I have a Fedora 13 machine which I routinely use to build
>> my Yocto projects that has git version 1.7.7.6.  On that machine,
>> all git fetches fail, no matter what.  On my Ubuntu builder
>> which has git 1.7.9.4, all is OK.
>>
>> I see that there is a git recipe in OE-core.  How can I force
>> it to be built and used where the host's native git is inadequate?
>
> The solution we provide for this kind of situation is buildtools-tarball, as
> described here (linked from the QS guide as well):
>
> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#required-git-tar-and-python-versions

Thanks, I'll give this a go.

> Interesting that git 1.7.7.6 is still not adequate though, that may be a
> prompt to either fix the check to work with older versions of git or
> increase our version number requirement.

If you have ideas how I can investigate why this fails, I'd be glad
to help out (to see if it can be made to work with 1.7.7.6 or if we
just need a newer version period)

* Re: How to force the use of git-native?
@ 2013-12-12 16:31     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2013-12-12 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: Yocto Project

On 2013-12-12 09:28, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On 2013-12-12 09:20, Paul Eggleton wrote:
>> Hi Gary,
>>
>> On Thursday 12 December 2013 08:06:31 Gary Thomas wrote:
>>> I've found that the latest bitbake fetcher changes (require
>>> the use of branch names) fails with older versions of git.
>>> I have a Fedora 13 machine which I routinely use to build
>>> my Yocto projects that has git version 1.7.7.6.  On that machine,
>>> all git fetches fail, no matter what.  On my Ubuntu builder
>>> which has git 1.7.9.4, all is OK.
>>>
>>> I see that there is a git recipe in OE-core.  How can I force
>>> it to be built and used where the host's native git is inadequate?
>>
>> The solution we provide for this kind of situation is buildtools-tarball, as
>> described here (linked from the QS guide as well):
>>
>> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#required-git-tar-and-python-versions
>
> Thanks, I'll give this a go.

Oops, looks like I have a circular dependency problem since trying to make
the buildtools-tarball actually needs a working version of git??

ERROR: Fetcher failure: Unable to find revision 757a1664a440c60e8126443bf984e4bdf374c327 in branch master even from upstream
ERROR: Function failed: Fetcher failure for URL: 'git://git.yoctoproject.org/opkg-utils'. Unable to fetch URL from any source.
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/local/rpi_2013-12-12/tmp/work/i686-linux/opkg-utils-native/0.1.8+gitAUTOINC+757a1664a4-r0/temp/log.do_fetch.15416
ERROR: Task 85 (virtual:native:/home/local/poky-multi/meta/recipes-devtools/opkg-utils/opkg-utils_git.bb, do_fetch) failed with exit code '1'
ERROR: Fetcher failure: Unable to find revision 6822ec76aa95f278195aeae59d4868ef224d7e4d in branch cross_prelink even from upstream
ERROR: Function failed: Fetcher failure for URL: 'git://git.yoctoproject.org/prelink-cross.git;branch=cross_prelink'. Unable to fetch URL from any source.
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/local/rpi_2013-12-12/tmp/work/i686-linux/prelink-native/1.0+gitAUTOINC+6822ec76aa-r0/temp/log.do_fetch.15406
ERROR: Task 244 (virtual:native:/home/local/poky-multi/meta/recipes-devtools/prelink/prelink_git.bb, do_fetch) failed with exit code '1'

@ 2013-12-12 16:37       ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2013-12-12 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Yocto Project

On Thursday 12 December 2013 09:31:10 Gary Thomas wrote:
> On 2013-12-12 09:28, Gary Thomas wrote:
> > On 2013-12-12 09:20, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> >> Hi Gary,

> >> The solution we provide for this kind of situation is buildtools-tarball,
> >> as described here (linked from the QS guide as well):
> >>
> >> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#requi
> >> red-git-tar-and-python-versions>
> > Thanks, I'll give this a go.
>
> Oops, looks like I have a circular dependency problem since trying to make
> the buildtools-tarball actually needs a working version of git??

I don't think it's reasonable to expect to build buildtools-tarball on a
system that isn't capable of building at the moment; you should just download
a prebuilt version as linked from the manual section above *or* build it on
another machine.

Cheers,
Paul

--

@ 2013-12-12 16:43         ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2013-12-12 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 2013-12-12 09:37, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> On Thursday 12 December 2013 09:31:10 Gary Thomas wrote:

>>> Thanks, I'll give this a go.
>>
>> Oops, looks like I have a circular dependency problem since trying to make
>> the buildtools-tarball actually needs a working version of git??
>
> I don't think it's reasonable to expect to build buildtools-tarball on a
> system that isn't capable of building at the moment; you should just download
> a prebuilt version as linked from the manual section above *or* build it on
> another machine.

Too bad that pointer is only for x86_64 hosts (mine is i386 only)

* Re: How to force the use of git-native?
@ 2013-12-12 16:56           ` Flanagan, Elizabeth
From: Flanagan, Elizabeth @ 2013-12-12 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: yocto

Gary,

If you give me a few hours I'll generate the proper tarball for you.
I've upgraded the release process to include a i386 host tarball from
now on.

I'll send you the link when I have it done.

-b

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 4:43 PM, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
> On 2013-12-12 09:37, Paul Eggleton wrote:

>>> Oops, looks like I have a circular dependency problem since trying to
>>> make
>>> the buildtools-tarball actually needs a working version of git??
>>

>> I don't think it's reasonable to expect to build buildtools-tarball on a
>> system that isn't capable of building at the moment; you should just
>> download
>> a prebuilt version as linked from the manual section above *or* build it
>> on
>> another machine.
>

> Too bad that pointer is only for x86_64 hosts (mine is i386 only)

Elizabeth Flanagan
Yocto Project
Build and Release

* Re: How to force the use of git-native?
@ 2013-12-12 17:05             ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2013-12-12 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Flanagan, Elizabeth; +Cc: yocto

On 2013-12-12 09:56, Flanagan, Elizabeth wrote:
> Gary,
>
> If you give me a few hours I'll generate the proper tarball for you.
> I've upgraded the release process to include a i386 host tarball from
> now on.
>
> I'll send you the link when I have it done.

Thanks, I appreciate this.

@ 2013-12-16 15:10               ` Flanagan, Elizabeth
From: Flanagan, Elizabeth @ 2013-12-16 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: yocto

Gary:

This should help.
http://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/pub/buildtools/20131216-2/buildtools/poky-eglibc-i686-buildtools-tarball-i586-buildtools-nativesdk-standalone-1.5.sh

I haven't tested this out yet, but it is based off of the dora 10.0.0
release, so please, let me know if you have problems with it.

-b

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 5:05 PM, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
> On 2013-12-12 09:56, Flanagan, Elizabeth wrote:
>>
>> Gary,
>>
>> If you give me a few hours I'll generate the proper tarball for you.
>> I've upgraded the release process to include a i386 host tarball from
>> now on.
>>
>> I'll send you the link when I have it done.
>

> Thanks, I appreciate this.

>>> Too bad that pointer is only for x86_64 hosts (mine is i386 only)
>>>

>>> --

> Gary Thomas                 |  Consulting for the
> MLB Associates              |    Embedded world

Elizabeth Flanagan
Yocto Project
Build and Release

* Re: How to force the use of git-native?
@ 2013-12-16 17:33                 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2013-12-16 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Flanagan, Elizabeth; +Cc: yocto

On 2013-12-16 08:10, Flanagan, Elizabeth wrote:
> Gary:
>
> This should help.
> http://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/pub/buildtools/20131216-2/buildtools/poky-eglibc-i686-buildtools-tarball-i586-buildtools-nativesdk-standalone-1.5.sh
>
> I haven't tested this out yet, but it is based off of the dora 10.0.0
> release, so please, let me know if you have problems with it.

Seems to work fine on my Fedora 13 box.

Thanks

@ 2013-12-17  7:33                   ` Søren Holm
From: Søren Holm @ 2013-12-17  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto; +Cc: Gary Thomas

Hi

Should'nt it be enough to remove git-native from ASSUME_PROVIDED ?