* [Printing-architecture] CUPS Raster filter Question
@ 2014-01-22 17:45 Shane Lin
From: Shane Lin @ 2014-01-22 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: printing-architecture

Dear List,

Are there other filters (other than the gstoraster) can generate CUPS raster in the Ubuntu system? What should I do to use them if there is any?

Thanks,

Shane

* Re: [Printing-architecture] CUPS Raster filter Question
@ 2014-01-22 18:35 ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2014-01-22 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: printing-architecture

On 01/22/2014 06:45 PM, Shane Lin wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> Are there other filters (other than the gstoraster) can generate CUPS
> raster in the Ubuntu system? What should I do to use them if there is any?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Shane

Applications usually send print jobs in PDF, leading to a

pdftopdf -> gstoraster -> rasterto...

filter chain. gstoraster which uses Ghostscript can be replaced by
pdftoraster which is Poppler-based:

pdftopdf -> pdftoraster -> rasterto...

This can be done by editing the file
/usr/share/cups/mime/cupsfilters.convs, changing the line

application/vnd.cups-pdf        application/vnd.cups-raster     100
pdftoraster

application/vnd.cups-pdf        application/vnd.cups-raster     98
pdftoraster

Then gstoraster is not used any more but always pdftoraster instead.

There is also an imagetoraster filter which converts many image formats
into CUPS Raster, but this does not work with multi-page jobs.

   Till

* Re: [Printing-architecture] CUPS Raster filter Question
@ 2014-01-22 19:58   ` Shane Lin
From: Shane Lin @ 2014-01-22 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: till.kamppeter, printing-architecture

Hi Till,
I tried to resolved the printing from the "Document Viewer" with custom paper size issue. Currently, if I open a PDF file in the Ubuntu 12.04 and print with a custom paper size, I always get the "Unrecoverable error: rangecheck in setpagedevice". I did not see the CUPS raster get generated. Other page sizes printed ok.
I think my PPD for the page size should be good. it works well with the PS printer.
I thought using different filter may resolve the issue. But it looks like Poppler-based titer did not resolve the issue.
Do you have any suggestion?
Thanks,
Shane

@ 2014-01-22 20:24     ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2014-01-22 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shane Lin, printing-architecture

There is perhaps a bug in the Document viewer or the GTK print dialog,
sending an incorrect option for the custom paper size. It has to send
the width of the paper, <length> by the length, and <unit> by the unit
in which the width and the length are expressed ("in", "cm", "mm",
"pt"). If the unit is omitted the default unit "pt" (PostScript points,
1/72 inch) is used.

There were already reports that "PageSize=Custom" or

Please follow the instructions of the section "CUPS error_log" on
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingPrintingProblems and see in the
error_log what gets actually sent.

   Till

On 01/22/2014 08:58 PM, Shane Lin wrote:
> Hi Till,
>
> I tried to resolved the printing from the "Document Viewer" with custom
> paper size issue. Currently, if I open a PDF file in the Ubuntu 12.04
> and print with a custom paper size, I always get the "Unrecoverable
> error: rangecheck in setpagedevice". I did not see the CUPS raster get
> generated. Other page sizes printed ok.
>
> I think my PPD for the page size should be good. it works well with the
> PS printer.
>
> I thought using different filter may resolve the issue. But it looks
> like Poppler-based titer did not resolve the issue.
>
> Do you have any suggestion?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Shane
>

> <http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/betathanks/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_PROED_thanks_HMWL_thanks_gifts_0507#>
>
>> Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 19:35:15 +0100
>> From: till.kamppeter@gmail.com
>> To: printing-architecture@lists.linux-foundation.org
>> Subject: Re: [Printing-architecture] CUPS Raster filter Question
>>
>> On 01/22/2014 06:45 PM, Shane Lin wrote:
>> > Dear List,
>> >
>> > Are there other filters (other than the gstoraster) can generate CUPS
>> > raster in the Ubuntu system? What should I do to use them if there
> is any?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Shane
>>
>> Applications usually send print jobs in PDF, leading to a
>>
>> pdftopdf -> gstoraster -> rasterto...
>>
>> filter chain. gstoraster which uses Ghostscript can be replaced by
>> pdftoraster which is Poppler-based:
>>
>> pdftopdf -> pdftoraster -> rasterto...
>>
>> This can be done by editing the file
>> /usr/share/cups/mime/cupsfilters.convs, changing the line
>>
>> application/vnd.cups-pdf application/vnd.cups-raster 100
>> pdftoraster

>> application/vnd.cups-pdf application/vnd.cups-raster 98
>> pdftoraster
>>
>> Then gstoraster is not used any more but always pdftoraster instead.
>>
>> There is also an imagetoraster filter which converts many image formats
>> into CUPS Raster, but this does not work with multi-page jobs.
>>
>> Till

* [Printing-architecture] MediaPosition on RHEL 5.0
@ 2014-02-26 22:07   ` Shane Lin
From: Shane Lin @ 2014-02-26 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: till.kamppeter, printing-architecture

All,
I have a question for the MediaPosition on RHEL 5.0:
When I check the cups raster file on the RHEL 5.0, it looks like the MediaPosition is always 0 on the cups raster header. The MediaPosition shows correctly (same as the value selected in the *InputSlot in the PPD) on the RHEL 5.10. Is this the issue in the "pstoraster" filter on the RHEL 5.0?
Any suggestion?
Thanks,
Shane

* Re: [Printing-architecture] MediaPosition on RHEL 5.0
@ 2014-02-27 19:51     ` Shane Lin
From: Shane Lin @ 2014-02-27 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: till.kamppeter, printing-architecture

All,

The "ghostscript-8.70-15.el5_9.3.x86_64.rpm" fixed the issue.

Thanks,

Shane