* status of drivers/scsi/scsi_tgt_lib.c
@ 2014-01-24 13:15 Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2014-01-24 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FUJITA Tomonori, James Bottomley; +Cc: linux-scsi

Hi Tomo-san,

what is the status of scsi_tgt_lib.c?  I've recently been auditing the
command allocation and I/O path for various possible improvements, and
the use of many functions in this path in addition to the normal
initiator code path is going to make a few things a bit harder.

The code seems to not have seen any major changes since about 2008,
and at least SRP hast another maintained target in mainline.

Do you know if either SRP or ibmvscsi are used regularly these days?
Does tgtd userspace still support this interface?

* Re: status of drivers/scsi/scsi_tgt_lib.c
@ 2014-01-25  3:48 ` FUJITA Tomonori
From: FUJITA Tomonori @ 2014-01-25  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hch; +Cc: James.Bottomley, linux-scsi

Hey,

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 05:15:25 -0800
Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org> wrote:

> Do you know if either SRP or ibmvscsi are used regularly these days?
> Does tgtd userspace still support this interface?

It doesn't. I think that ibm pseries switched to virtual fc driver
from virtual srp long ago. Only very old pseries could use the
driver. I'm not sure there are any users of the driver. I guess that
you could try to remove the driver to see if someone would complain.

* Re: status of drivers/scsi/scsi_tgt_lib.c
@ 2014-01-27  7:50   ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2014-01-27  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FUJITA Tomonori; +Cc: James.Bottomley, linux-scsi

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 12:48:32PM +0900, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 05:15:25 -0800
> Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org> wrote:
>
> > Do you know if either SRP or ibmvscsi are used regularly these days?
> > Does tgtd userspace still support this interface?
>
> It doesn't. I think that ibm pseries switched to virtual fc driver
> from virtual srp long ago. Only very old pseries could use the
> driver. I'm not sure there are any users of the driver. I guess that
> you could try to remove the driver to see if someone would complain.

Should we try to throw in a deprecation warnings for this merge window
and see if anyone cares, or go ahead and remove it entirely?

* Re: status of drivers/scsi/scsi_tgt_lib.c
@ 2014-01-27 15:45     ` FUJITA Tomonori
From: FUJITA Tomonori @ 2014-01-27 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hch; +Cc: James.Bottomley, linux-scsi

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 23:50:38 -0800
Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org> wrote:

>> > Do you know if either SRP or ibmvscsi are used regularly these days?
>> > Does tgtd userspace still support this interface?
>>
>> It doesn't. I think that ibm pseries switched to virtual fc driver
>> from virtual srp long ago. Only very old pseries could use the
>> driver. I'm not sure there are any users of the driver. I guess that
>> you could try to remove the driver to see if someone would complain.
>
> Should we try to throw in a deprecation warnings for this merge window
> and see if anyone cares, or go ahead and remove it entirely?

Either is fine by me.

* Re: status of drivers/scsi/scsi_tgt_lib.c
@ 2014-01-28 11:58       ` Hannes Reinecke
From: Hannes Reinecke @ 2014-01-28 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FUJITA Tomonori, hch; +Cc: James.Bottomley, linux-scsi

On 01/27/2014 04:45 PM, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:

>>> It doesn't. I think that ibm pseries switched to virtual fc driver
>>> from virtual srp long ago. Only very old pseries could use the
>>> driver. I'm not sure there are any users of the driver. I guess that
>>> you could try to remove the driver to see if someone would complain.
>>
>> Should we try to throw in a deprecation warnings for this merge window
>> and see if anyone cares, or go ahead and remove it entirely?
>
> Either is fine by me.

I actually know of a customer using this (with a semi-proprietary
target mode driver). I'll be asking him what his plans are.

Cheers,

Hannes
hare@suse.de			      +49 911 74053 688

* Re: status of drivers/scsi/scsi_tgt_lib.c
@ 2014-01-30  8:44         ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2014-01-30  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hannes Reinecke; +Cc: FUJITA Tomonori, hch, James.Bottomley, linux-scsi

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 12:58:36PM +0100, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
> I actually know of a customer using this (with a semi-proprietary
> target mode driver). I'll be asking him what his plans are.

They are using the IBM pseries vscsi driver for that?  It they actually
adding out of tree kernel code it doesn't really matter at all for this
discussion..

* Re: status of drivers/scsi/scsi_tgt_lib.c
@ 2014-01-30  9:06           ` Hannes Reinecke
From: Hannes Reinecke @ 2014-01-30  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig; +Cc: FUJITA Tomonori, James.Bottomley, linux-scsi

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 12:58:36PM +0100, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
>> I actually know of a customer using this (with a semi-proprietary
>> target mode driver). I'll be asking him what his plans are.
>
> They are using the IBM pseries vscsi driver for that?  It they actually
> adding out of tree kernel code it doesn't really matter at all for this
> discussion..

No, not the vscsi driver. But the tgt hooks.

But yeah, I know. As said, I'll be in touch with them.
I just wanted mention that _someone_ uses this code

Cheers,

Hannes
hare@suse.de			      +49 911 74053 688