* xendomains init script from xen recipe hangs
@ 2014-01-22 23:07 Philip Tricca
From: Philip Tricca @ 2014-01-22 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Patterson; +Cc: meta-virtualization

Hey Chris,

I'm guessing you're the only one who may have tried to use this script
before. I've got a simple test VM I want to start on boot. The
xendomains script (from the xen recipe) starts my VM but then hangs for
what seems to be forever. Have you had luck or even tried to use this
script before?

This may not even be the right tool for what I'm trying to do but it's
there for free so I thought I'd give it a try.

Thanks,
Philip

* Re: xendomains init script from xen recipe hangs
@ 2014-01-24 21:11 ` Chris Patterson
From: Chris Patterson @ 2014-01-24 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Tricca; +Cc: meta-virtualization

It works for me (on a slightly modified xen-image-minimal) with some
complaints about head (-c flag not implemented in busybox) if you don't
have coreutils installed (add coreutils to your image and that should go
away).

Can you try it on the command line?

bash -x /etc/init.d/xendomains stop

bash -x /etc/init.d/xendomains start

Depending on what you are seeing, you may need to adjust your values in
/etc/default/xendomains.

@ 2014-01-30 13:39   ` Philip Tricca
From: Philip Tricca @ 2014-01-30 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Patterson; +Cc: meta-virtualization

On 01/24/2014 04:11 PM, Chris Patterson wrote:
> It works for me (on a slightly modified xen-image-minimal) with some
> complaints about head (-c flag not implemented in busybox) if you don't
> have coreutils installed (add coreutils to your image and that should go
> away).
>
> Can you try it on the command line?
>
> bash -x /etc/init.d/xendomains stop
>
> bash -x /etc/init.d/xendomains start
>
> Depending on what you are seeing, you may need to adjust your values in
> /etc/default/xendomains.

Oddly enough the script is blocking on the call to 'xl create --quiet
--defconfig ...'. While the script is blocked on this call, I can
background it (Ctrl+z) and connect a console to the VM that it started.
I can log into it and everything so I'm pretty convinced it started fine.

Killing off the console I can then bring the call to the xendomains
script to the foreground again. When I do this it's still blocked on the
call to 'xl create'. Creating the VM manually using xl works as
expected.  Pretty sure this isn't just a timeout issue as
'XENDOMAINS_CREATE_USLEEP' is 5 seconds by default. This seems to be
hanging indefinitely. Starting VMs is the simple case so I'm at a bit of
a loss.

Thanks,
Philip

@ 2014-01-31  1:02     ` Chris Patterson