* iio for the end user
@ 2014-02-06 22:13 Matt Flax
From: Matt Flax @ 2014-02-06 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-iio

Hi there,

I have been working towards getting something together which allows the
end user to use IIO with 'standard applications' and also support
network connectivity. I have a set of ADCs running using IIO at the
moment, so I am focussing on input. I am aware that this paradigm may
fall over for very  high sample rates, but for lower sample rates, of
the order of 1 MHz, it should work.

I am writing to this list to find out if there are other networkable
approaches in linking iio into other existing protocols/software which
would suit the end user ? I am new to this list and didn't find much in
the archives, however perhaps I missed something ?

My first attempt for user space IIO is to use Jack and integrate iio
into Jack as a driver. I have successfully created this iio driver for
jack [1] and I can get the driver to run with very low latencies.
The best spec. without overruns is :  4 channels at 1MHz with mmap block
sizes of 256 samples using 3 periods ... thats roughly 0.75 ms maximum
latency at the jack driver level.
The current stage of development is  to connect a jack client to this
new iio driver and I am in the stage of debugging that work.

thanks
Matt
[1] https://github.com/flatmax/jack1

* Re: iio for the end user
@ 2014-02-11  7:30 ` Matt Flax
From: Matt Flax @ 2014-02-11  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-iio

Hi again,

I would like to ask a second time.

Are there any end user systems which support IIO ?

If not then are there any efforts for a networking protocol/library/API
for IIO streaming ? Particularly interested in multi device input
streaming at this point in time.

I have been working further on the jack IIO driver, however it seems
that the concept of getting such high sample rates running on embedded
cores may prove to challenging for audio subsystems. Whilst reading in
the jack 'driver' space is ok, connecting clients to the 'driver' is
difficult when trying to keep up with the higher then traditional audio
sample rates.

thanks
Matt

@ 2014-02-11  8:32   ` Manuel Stahl
From: Manuel Stahl @ 2014-02-11  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Flax; +Cc: linux-iio

Hi Matt,

these are the projects I'm aware of:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/iioutils/
https://wiki.analog.com/resources/tools-software/linux-software/iio_multi_plot_oscilloscope
https://wiki.analog.com/resources/tools-software/linux-software/iio_oscilloscope
https://wiki.analog.com/software/linux/docs/iio/iio_netscope
https://wiki.analog.com/resources/tools-software/linux-software/iio_cmdsrv

for iioutils I was planning to add a daemon much like gpsd for GPS devices.

Regards,
Manuel Stahl