* Recovering from hard disk failure in a pool
@ 2014-02-14 10:35 Axelle
From: Axelle @ 2014-02-14 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hi,
I've just encountered a hard disk crash in one of my btrfs pools.

sudo btrfs filesystem show
failed to open /dev/sr0: No medium found
Label: none  uuid: 545e95c6-d347-4a8c-8a49-38b9f9cb9add
        Total devices 3 FS bytes used 112.70GB
        devid    1 size 100.61GB used 89.26GB path /dev/sdc6
        devid    2 size 93.13GB used 84.00GB path /dev/sdc1
        *** Some devices missing

The device which is missing is /dev/sdb. I have replaced it with a new
hard disk. How do I add it back to the volume and fix the device
missing?
The pool is expected to mount to /samples (it is not mounted yet).

I tried this - which fails:
sudo btrfs device add /dev/sdb /samples
ERROR: error adding the device '/dev/sdb' - Inappropriate ioctl for device

Why isn't this working?

I also tried this:
sudo mount -o recovery /dev/sdc1 /samples
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc1,
       dmesg | tail  or so
same with /dev/sdc6

I ran btrfsck --repair on /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdc6. Apart that it
reports a device is missing (/dev/sdb) seems okay.

I also tried:
sudo btrfs filesystem df /samples
ERROR: couldn't get space info on '/samples' - Inappropriate ioctl for device

and as I'm supposed to have a snapshot, this (but I suppose it's
helpless as the volume isn't mounted)
btrfs subvolume snapshot /samples/malwareSnapshot /before
ERROR: error accessing '/samples/malwareSnapshot'

Please help me out, thanks
Axelle.