From: Joe Goforth <joego@mcn.org>
To: folkert <folkert@vanheusden.com>, David Ranch <linux-hams@trinnet.net>
Cc: linux-hams@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Fw: Fw: AX.25
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 13:04:15 -0800	[thread overview]

Hi folkert, I'm on the same wavelength as you are. I have two beaglebone
boards with tnc-x packet using linux angstrom. It's been a real battle
to find a simple way to communicate between the two without getting tied
into the various software packages. At this point I realize that I
should have gone to the raspberry-pi board but I have money tied up in
the two boards I have now. To top it off the beaglebone black is the one
all the support is going to now and I have a beaglebone white. This has
caused me to learn a lot more which is good in the end. What I have
finally come down to is this which is kind of a cool experimental
platform to talk between two stations.

Setup the basic ax25d stuff so you have your ax25d daemon running. You
don't need to worry about getting the tcp stuff all routed. Once you
have that going you can setup a port to listen like this

listen MYPORT >> listen.log&

at this point you can log any incoming to the listen.log and to bring it
to the console;

tail -f listen.log

On your other station you can use the program "beacon" to send messages;

beacon  -m -d KE6ACW-1 MYPORT2 "my message I want to send"

At this point you have setup a simple communication system and you can
pipe the listen program to a python (or your flavor) script to process
or send the data any way you like.

I'm still looking for a better program than beacon to do the transmit so
that might be a program that needs to be written. There are a lot of
programs with source code out there for reference. Many of the linux
APRS type programs have this code. Maybe someone out there has a better
solution but that is about as simple as I could get it on an embedded
system.

--Joe Goforth
KE6ACW