From: Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schindelin@gmx.de>
To: Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com>
Cc: git@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Is GGG mislabeling topics?
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 15:20:24 +0100 (CET)	[thread overview]

Hi Junio,

On Thu, 19 Jan 2023, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> These comments from GGG bot
>
>     https://github.com/git/git/pull/1435#issuecomment-1386301994
>     https://github.com/git/git/pull/1435#issuecomment-1386302018
>
> add 'next' and 'seen' labels, citing merges e3ead5f and c52b021
> respectively, but these merges are of a topic that has little to do
> with this pull request (#1435).  Is this expected?

Since I could not make `amlog` work reliably for GitGitGadget (and you
will recall that it was not for lack of trying, not by _any_ stretch of
imagination, I really, really put in a few weeks and it just turned out
that there was no way to come up with a 100% correct record of mappings
between patches on the Git mailing list and the commits in git/git), the
best I could do was to use `range-diff` to identify which patches made it
upstream, and what the upstream OIDs are.

What you see in action is that this is imperfect. Because in the absence
of actual git/git commits that correspond to the GitGitGadget Pull
Requests' commits, `range-diff` will even identify replacements or
alternative patches as the git/git commits corresponding to the PR.

I don't see how this could be made robust without forcing you to adopt
different processes than you are using right now.

Ciao,
Johannes