* list spam
@ 2014-02-18 16:13 Stan Hoeppner
From: Stan Hoeppner @ 2014-02-18 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs, Brent Bice, Russell Cattelan

Taking a look here:  http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2014-02/index.html
we see 5 spams archived yesterday, and 4 so far today, and many in past
months.

What can be done to keep these spams out of the archive?

--
Stan

* Re: list spam
@ 2014-02-18 17:25 ` Brent Bice
From: Brent Bice @ 2014-02-18 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stan, xfs, Russell Cattelan, Trevor Hurst

On 02/18/2014 09:13 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Taking a look here:  http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2014-02/index.html
> we see 5 spams archived yesterday, and 4 so far today, and many in past
> months.
>
> What can be done to keep these spams out of the archive?

    Make it a moderated list... (though I'd also offer my condolences to
the people nominated as moderators)

    I haven't looked at how the archives are setup or indexed or what
would be required to remove individual emails from the archives (without
breaking things).  I believe Trev might have done this though.  (I
passed on some warnings about malware in the oss archives to him in the
past)

Brent

* Re: list spam
@ 2014-02-18 19:44   ` Keith Keller
From: Keith Keller @ 2014-02-18 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-xfs

On 2014-02-18, Brent Bice <bbice@sgi.com> wrote:
> On 02/18/2014 09:13 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> Taking a look here:  http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2014-02/index.html
>> we see 5 spams archived yesterday, and 4 so far today, and many in past
>> months.
>>
>> What can be done to keep these spams out of the archive?
>
>     Make it a moderated list... (though I'd also offer my condolences to
> the people nominated as moderators)

Since the list is backed by Mailman, there is a less extreme option:
restrict posting to subscribed email addresses.  This won't prevent all
spam, but will cut down a lot.  People will still have a harder time
emailing the list, but it'd be even harder with a moderated list, so
restricting to subscribed addresses may be a reasonable compromise.

--keith

--
kkeller@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us

* Re: list spam
@ 2014-02-18 21:22     ` Dave Chinner
From: Dave Chinner @ 2014-02-18 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Keller; +Cc: xfs

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:44:51AM -0800, Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2014-02-18, Brent Bice <bbice@sgi.com> wrote:
> > On 02/18/2014 09:13 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> >> Taking a look here:  http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2014-02/index.html
> >> we see 5 spams archived yesterday, and 4 so far today, and many in past
> >> months.
> >>
> >> What can be done to keep these spams out of the archive?
> >
> >     Make it a moderated list... (though I'd also offer my condolences to
> > the people nominated as moderators)
>
> Since the list is backed by Mailman, there is a less extreme option:
> restrict posting to subscribed email addresses.  This won't prevent all
> spam, but will cut down a lot.  People will still have a harder time
> emailing the list, but it'd be even harder with a moderated list, so
> restricting to subscribed addresses may be a reasonable compromise.

We'll move the list before to a different host before we restrict
access or moderate the list. It's an open public list, and it is
going to remain that way.

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but a large amount of the spam
is directed at the deprecated linux-xfs@oss.sgi.com list aliases.
Kill that alias, and a large amount of the spam disappears.

FWIW, from the perspective of someone who has a lot of lists
directing email at him, the XFS list is no worse than most others.

Cheers,

Dave.

--
Dave Chinner
david@fromorbit.com

* Re: list spam
@ 2014-02-18 21:59       ` Stan Hoeppner
From: Stan Hoeppner @ 2014-02-18 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Chinner, Keith Keller; +Cc: xfs

On 2/18/2014 3:22 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:
> I don't know if anyone has noticed, but a large amount of the spam
> is directed at the deprecated linux-xfs@oss.sgi.com list aliases.
> Kill that alias, and a large amount of the spam disappears.

53/173, non-scientific, in my folders, so roughly 1/3rd of spam getting
through the nets is addressed to the deprecated address.  I agree, kill
that alias.

> FWIW, from the perspective of someone who has a lot of lists
> directing email at him, the XFS list is no worse than most others.

Maybe my vision is skewed.  The only other open list I sub is
linux-raid@vger.kernel.org.  It has a little less average volume than
xfs, but only like one spam every few days gets through.

--
Stan

* Re: list spam
@ 2014-02-18 22:52         ` Dave Chinner
From: Dave Chinner @ 2014-02-18 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stan Hoeppner; +Cc: Keith Keller, xfs

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 03:59:57PM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 2/18/2014 3:22 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > I don't know if anyone has noticed, but a large amount of the spam
> > is directed at the deprecated linux-xfs@oss.sgi.com list aliases.
> > Kill that alias, and a large amount of the spam disappears.
>
> 53/173, non-scientific, in my folders, so roughly 1/3rd of spam getting
> through the nets is addressed to the deprecated address.  I agree, kill
> that alias.
>
> > FWIW, from the perspective of someone who has a lot of lists
> > directing email at him, the XFS list is no worse than most others.
>
> Maybe my vision is skewed.  The only other open list I sub is
> linux-raid@vger.kernel.org.  It has a little less average volume than
> xfs, but only like one spam every few days gets through.

More likely my vision is skewed - I deal with a few thousand of
emails every day and delete most of them immediately without reading
anything other than the subject line(*). Spam is a tiny, tiny
percentage of the of mail I process every day....

Perspective ;)

Cheers,

Dave.

(*) The shiniest key on my keyboard is 'd', indicating it is the
most used key, all because I use it to delete mail ;)
--
Dave Chinner
david@fromorbit.com

* Re: list spam
@ 2014-02-18 22:59           ` Troy McCorkell
From: Troy McCorkell @ 2014-02-18 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs

On 02/18/2014 04:52 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 03:59:57PM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>
>> On 2/18/2014 3:22 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know if anyone has noticed, but a large amount of the spam
>>> is directed at the deprecated linux-xfs@oss.sgi.com list aliases.
>>> Kill that alias, and a large amount of the spam disappears.
>>>
>> 53/173, non-scientific, in my folders, so roughly 1/3rd of spam getting
>> through the nets is addressed to the deprecated address.  I agree, kill
>> that alias.
>>

>>> FWIW, from the perspective of someone who has a lot of lists
>>> directing email at him, the XFS list is no worse than most others.
>>>
>> Maybe my vision is skewed.  The only other open list I sub is
>> linux-raid@vger.kernel.org.  It has a little less average volume than
>> xfs, but only like one spam every few days gets through.
>>
> More likely my vision is skewed - I deal with a few thousand of
> emails every day and delete most of them immediately without reading
> anything other than the subject line(*). Spam is a tiny, tiny
> percentage of the of mail I process every day....
>
> Perspective ;)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave.
>
> (*) The shiniest key on my keyboard is 'd', indicating it is the
> most used key, all because I use it to delete mail ;)

I'll talk with the SGI IT group about disabling the linux-xfs mail alias.

Thanks,
Troy