* Re: About 'SNDRV_PCM_CLASS_MULTI' for devices with multi-channels
       [not found] <5304C64D.3090400@sakamocchi.jp>
@ 2014-02-19 19:40 ` David Henningsson
From: David Henningsson @ 2014-02-19 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Sakamoto, alsa-devel

On 02/19/2014 03:57 PM, Takashi Sakamoto wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have two questions about the usage of this macro.
>
> Should I use this macro for new drivers which I'm working for?'
> http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2014-January/071820.html
>

> My drivers support some firewire devices, which is desinged for
> studio-use and have many channels. Its combination of channels are not
> designed for surround sound like 5.1ch.
>
> Just judging from its name, 'SNDRV_PCM_CLASS_MULTI', I should use this.
> But there are no drivers which use this macro in current tree, against
> my expectation that some drivers (ICE1712-pro, RME9652, 6fire usb and so
> on) should use this macro.
>
> Are there any reasons?

I've never heard of it before. I had a quick look in alsa-lib and
couldn't find any difference in handling between CLASS_GENERIC and
CLASS_MULTI.

It's probably something historic that nobody uses any more. Maybe people
who have been along longer knows what it is.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic

* Re: About 'SNDRV_PCM_CLASS_MULTI' for devices with multi-channels
@ 2014-02-20  2:28   ` Takashi Sakamoto
From: Takashi Sakamoto @ 2014-02-20  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Henningsson, alsa-devel

Hi David,
(My message was not delivered by ALSA's mailman...)

Again all,

 >> I have two questions about the usage of this macro.
 >>
 >> Should I use this macro for new drivers which I'm working for?'

http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2014-January/071820.html

 >> My drivers support some firewire devices, which is desinged for
 >> studio-use and have many channels. Its combination of channels are not
 >> designed for surround sound like 5.1ch.
 >>
 >> Just judging from its name, 'SNDRV_PCM_CLASS_MULTI', I should use this.
 >> But there are no drivers which use this macro in current tree, against
 >> my expectation that some drivers (ICE1712-pro, RME9652, 6fire usb and so
 >> on) should use this macro.
 >>
 >> Are there any reasons?

In current tree, there are no drivers which uses this macro.

As long as I investigated in ftp server, this macro is firstly added in
ALSA 0.9.0beta1 (2001/02/21). So this macro has been ignored over 10
years...

Regards

Takashi Sakamoto
o-takashi@sakamocchi.jp

* Re: About 'SNDRV_PCM_CLASS_MULTI' for devices with multi-channels
@ 2014-02-20  8:02     ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2014-02-20  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Sakamoto; +Cc: alsa-devel, David Henningsson

At Thu, 20 Feb 2014 11:28:48 +0900,
Takashi Sakamoto wrote:

> Hi David,
> (My message was not delivered by ALSA's mailman...)

Because you posted from an address that isn't subscribed.
It takes time until manually approved.

> Again all,
>
>  >> I have two questions about the usage of this macro.
>  >>
>  >> Should I use this macro for new drivers which I'm working for?'
>  >>
> http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2014-January/071820.html
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> My drivers support some firewire devices, which is desinged for
>  >> studio-use and have many channels. Its combination of channels are not
>  >> designed for surround sound like 5.1ch.
>  >>
>  >> Just judging from its name, 'SNDRV_PCM_CLASS_MULTI', I should use this.
>  >> But there are no drivers which use this macro in current tree, against
>  >> my expectation that some drivers (ICE1712-pro, RME9652, 6fire usb and so
>  >> on) should use this macro.
>  >>
>  >> Are there any reasons?
>
> In current tree, there are no drivers which uses this macro.
>
> As long as I investigated in ftp server, this macro is firstly added in
> ALSA 0.9.0beta1 (2001/02/21). So this macro has been ignored over 10
> years...

Right.  And the likely reason is that such a differentiation doesn't
help much.  You can still use your device for driving 5.1 surround :)

So, I rather would like to keep them RIP.  Maybe worth to remove it
now.

Takashi

* Re: About 'SNDRV_PCM_CLASS_MULTI' for devices with multi-channels
@ 2014-02-20 14:25       ` Takashi Sakamoto
From: Takashi Sakamoto @ 2014-02-20 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel, David Henningsson

> Right.  And the likely reason is that such a differentiation doesn't
> help much.

I thought usage of this macro can tell applications that the PCM
channels are not for surround sound.

But for this purpose, card configuration is better. Applications can get
to know by seeking 'surround' PCM devices such like 'surround51'.

 > You can still use your device for driving 5.1 surround :)

It's not my intention. I'm considering about the way to prevent
applications from using the devices for surround sound.

I don't prepare for card configuration. So devices which my drivers
support have no 'surround' PCM devices.

 > So, I rather would like to keep them RIP. Maybe worth to remove it
 > now.

Yes.

In the same reason, 'SND_PCM_SUBCLASS_MULTI_MIX' should be removed. As a
result, 'SND_PCM_SUBCLASS_XXX', 'struct snd_pcm_info.dev_subclass' are
also needless...

Thanks

Takashi Sakamoto
o-takashi@sakamocchi.jp

* About 'SNDRV_PCM_CLASS_MULTI' for devices with multi-channels
@ 2014-02-19 17:17 Takashi Sakamoto
From: Takashi Sakamoto @ 2014-02-19 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

@ 2014-02-19 16:59 Takashi Sakamoto