From: till.kamppeter@gmail.com (Till Kamppeter)
To: kernelnewbies@lists.kernelnewbies.org
Subject: Google Summer of Code 2014 - IPP-over-USB printer support - Joint project idea for OpenPrinting and the kernel
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 18:26:53 +0100	[thread overview]

On 02/25/2014 06:20 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 9:01 AM, Till Kamppeter
> <till.kamppeter@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> First, I want to make a feature request to the kernel to add it. Second,
>> I want to suggest this as a Google Summer of Code project, asking for
>> mentors on the kernel side. Mentoring Organization will be the Linux
>> Foundation, hosting projects for both OpenPrinting and the kernel.
>
> It certainly sounds like a worthy thing, but wasn't the deadline for
> GSoC last Friday? I know both Subsurface and X.org did that, and got
> accepted early this week.

No, the deadline was only for mentoring org applications (and as
mentoring org we, the LF, are accepted). Project ideas can be added
until the student application deadline, only the earlier they get
posted, the more potential student candidates will read them and
consider them for their applications. In addition, project ideas get
posted on the project's sites, not at Google. Also they can get posted
at more than one place.

So we should determine ASAP who could mentor this project and post the
project on our idea lists.

   Till

From: Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter@gmail.com>
To: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>