* Using a defconfig refers to an in-tree defconfig file
@ 2014-02-25 21:29 John Weber
From: John Weber @ 2014-02-25 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

I thought I would bounce this one of the mailing list.

Is there any reason why we shouldn't simply use the defconfig from the kernel
tree if appropriate?

We would do this by the defconfig file in the recipe refer to a filename in the
kernel tree. For example, in the file
recipes-kernel/linux/linux-wandboard-3.10.17/defconfig would be a single line:

    use-kernel-config=wandboard_defconfig

I've tested this already and it works.

As many of the kernels being used here are managing their own defconfigs
in-tree, they are forced to keep the defconfig in the metadata in-sync.  This
would be a way to remove that requirement.

* Re: Using a defconfig refers to an in-tree defconfig file
@ 2014-02-25 22:10 ` Eric Nelson
From: Eric Nelson @ 2014-02-25 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Weber, meta-freescale

Hi John,

On 02/25/2014 02:29 PM, John Weber wrote:
> I thought I would bounce this one of the mailing list.
>
> Is there any reason why we shouldn't simply use the defconfig from the
> kernel tree if appropriate?
>
> We would do this by the defconfig file in the recipe refer to a filename
> in the kernel tree. For example, in the file
> recipes-kernel/linux/linux-wandboard-3.10.17/defconfig would be a single
> line:
>
>     use-kernel-config=wandboard_defconfig

In general, +1 from our end.

The primary down-side is that the Yocto needs may differ from other
distributions, but then again, any particular user will likely
want to tweak a bit anyway.

@ 2014-02-26  5:37   ` John Weber
From: John Weber @ 2014-02-26  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Nelson, meta-freescale

On 2/25/14, 4:10 PM, Eric Nelson wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On 02/25/2014 02:29 PM, John Weber wrote:
>> I thought I would bounce this one of the mailing list.
>>
>> Is there any reason why we shouldn't simply use the defconfig from the
>> kernel tree if appropriate?
>>
>> We would do this by the defconfig file in the recipe refer to a filename
>> in the kernel tree. For example, in the file
>> recipes-kernel/linux/linux-wandboard-3.10.17/defconfig would be a single
>> line:
>>
>>     use-kernel-config=wandboard_defconfig
>>

> In general, +1 from our end.
>
> The primary down-side is that the Yocto needs may differ from other
> distributions, but then again, any particular user will likely
> want to tweak a bit anyway.
Well, I thought all was good with this little trick, but as it turns out that is
not the case.

I saw this being done within meta-ti kernel recipes and thought it was pretty
nifty, but each recipe includes this file:

https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-ti/tree/recipes-kernel/linux/setup-defconfig.inc

So, this is a non-standard feature.  It would be nice to know what others think.

And, Otavio, I was too quick to be happy regarding our conversation today...  :-)

@ 2014-02-26 13:04     ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2014-02-26 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Weber; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 2:37 AM, John Weber <rjohnweber@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/25/14, 4:10 PM, Eric Nelson wrote:
>>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> On 02/25/2014 02:29 PM, John Weber wrote:
>>>
>>> I thought I would bounce this one of the mailing list.
>>>
>>> Is there any reason why we shouldn't simply use the defconfig from the
>>> kernel tree if appropriate?
>>>
>>> We would do this by the defconfig file in the recipe refer to a filename
>>> in the kernel tree. For example, in the file
>>> recipes-kernel/linux/linux-wandboard-3.10.17/defconfig would be a single
>>> line:
>>>
>>>     use-kernel-config=wandboard_defconfig
>>>

>> In general, +1 from our end.
>>
>> The primary down-side is that the Yocto needs may differ from other
>> distributions, but then again, any particular user will likely
>> want to tweak a bit anyway.
>
> Well, I thought all was good with this little trick, but as it turns out
> that is not the case.
>
> I saw this being done within meta-ti kernel recipes and thought it was
> pretty nifty, but each recipe includes this file:
>
> https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-ti/tree/recipes-kernel/linux/setup-defconfig.inc
>
> So, this is a non-standard feature.  It would be nice to know what others
> think.
>
> And, Otavio, I was too quick to be happy regarding our conversation today...
> :-)

No problem :-)

Personally I don't like to add BSP specific features; I think we can
try to come up with a solution for it but we must work at OE-Core
basis and than use it here.

Having specific features makes harder for users to use the provided
documentation ...

My 2c...