* SD card timeout problems on Nokia N900 (omap_hsmmc on OMAP3)
@ 2014-02-25 23:47 Sebastian Reichel
From: Sebastian Reichel @ 2014-02-25 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Balaji T K; +Cc: linux-omap, linux-mmc

I have problems with the SD-card initialization on my Nokia N900
using a 3.14-rc1 based kernel in DT boot mode. The bug is can be
circumvented by changing the kernel slightly (e.g. remove some DT
nodes or mark them as disabled). So the SD card's timeout problems
seem to derive from kernel timing problems. I'm pretty sure, that
the problems are not originating from a broken SD card, since

 1. The SD card worked quite good before and still does depending
    on unrelated DTS changes (=> loading less drivers).
 2. The SD card works flawlessly on my notebook using a USB adapter
 3. Another SD card showed the same problem

I tried to git bisect the problem, but I just get shown some
unrelated driver additions.

Anyways, this is the error I get during boot:

[    3.896820] mmc0: mmc_rescan_try_freq: trying to init card at 400000 Hz
[    5.956237] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card

I added some debug prints to trace the error:

 * mmc_sd_init_card()
 * mmc_sd_get_cid()
 * mmc_send_app_op_cond()

Can you give me any hints how to find & fix the problem's source?

-- Sebastian

* Re: SD card timeout problems on Nokia N900 (omap_hsmmc on OMAP3)
@ 2014-02-26  6:02 ` Michael Trimarchi
From: Michael Trimarchi @ 2014-02-26  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Sebastian

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 12:47 AM, Sebastian Reichel <sre@ring0.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have problems with the SD-card initialization on my Nokia N900
> using a 3.14-rc1 based kernel in DT boot mode. The bug is can be
> circumvented by changing the kernel slightly (e.g. remove some DT
> nodes or mark them as disabled). So the SD card's timeout problems
> seem to derive from kernel timing problems. I'm pretty sure, that
> the problems are not originating from a broken SD card, since
>
>  1. The SD card worked quite good before and still does depending
>     on unrelated DTS changes (=> loading less drivers).
>  2. The SD card works flawlessly on my notebook using a USB adapter
>  3. Another SD card showed the same problem
>
> I tried to git bisect the problem, but I just get shown some
> unrelated driver additions.
>
> Anyways, this is the error I get during boot:
>
> [    3.896820] mmc0: mmc_rescan_try_freq: trying to init card at 400000 Hz
> [    5.956237] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card

Are you sure that some subsystem that you deactivate don't change
pin muxing setting? Can you check in the broken system if the pins of the sdcard
are correctly muxed? Does it happen even if you change the sdcard?

Michael

@ 2014-02-26  6:55   ` Stefan Roese
From: Stefan Roese @ 2014-02-26  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Trimarchi, Sebastian Reichel

Hi Sebastian,

On 26.02.2014 07:02, Michael Trimarchi wrote:
> Hi Sebastian
>
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 12:47 AM, Sebastian Reichel <sre@ring0.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have problems with the SD-card initialization on my Nokia N900
>> using a 3.14-rc1 based kernel in DT boot mode. The bug is can be
>> circumvented by changing the kernel slightly (e.g. remove some DT
>> nodes or mark them as disabled). So the SD card's timeout problems
>> seem to derive from kernel timing problems. I'm pretty sure, that
>> the problems are not originating from a broken SD card, since
>>
>>   1. The SD card worked quite good before and still does depending
>>      on unrelated DTS changes (=> loading less drivers).
>>   2. The SD card works flawlessly on my notebook using a USB adapter
>>   3. Another SD card showed the same problem
>>
>> I tried to git bisect the problem, but I just get shown some
>> unrelated driver additions.
>>
>> Anyways, this is the error I get during boot:
>>
>> [    3.896820] mmc0: mmc_rescan_try_freq: trying to init card at 400000 Hz
>> [    5.956237] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card
>>

> Are you sure that some subsystem that you deactivate don't change
> pin muxing setting? Can you check in the broken system if the pins of the sdcard
> are correctly muxed? Does it happen even if you change the sdcard?

Did you try to add this patch series:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-omap/msg103264.html

Without it I'm also having problems with MMC detection on some OMAP3
based boards.

Balaji, what is the status of this patch series? Are there any chances
that it will be included in v3.14?

Thanks,
Stefan

* Re: SD card timeout problems on Nokia N900 (omap_hsmmc on OMAP3)
@ 2014-02-26  8:44     ` Balaji T K
From: Balaji T K @ 2014-02-26  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Roese, Sebastian Reichel
	Tony Lindgren, 'Chris Ball'

On Wednesday 26 February 2014 12:25 PM, Stefan Roese wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> On 26.02.2014 07:02, Michael Trimarchi wrote:
>> Hi Sebastian
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 12:47 AM, Sebastian Reichel <sre@ring0.de> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have problems with the SD-card initialization on my Nokia N900
>>> using a 3.14-rc1 based kernel in DT boot mode. The bug is can be
>>> circumvented by changing the kernel slightly (e.g. remove some DT
>>> nodes or mark them as disabled). So the SD card's timeout problems
>>> seem to derive from kernel timing problems. I'm pretty sure, that
>>> the problems are not originating from a broken SD card, since

Can you provide removed/Disabled dt nodes, it might give some clue ?

>>>   1. The SD card worked quite good before and still does depending
>>>      on unrelated DTS changes (=> loading less drivers).
>>>   2. The SD card works flawlessly on my notebook using a USB adapter
>>>   3. Another SD card showed the same problem
>>>
>>> I tried to git bisect the problem, but I just get shown some
>>> unrelated driver additions.
>>>
>>> Anyways, this is the error I get during boot:
>>>
>>> [    3.896820] mmc0: mmc_rescan_try_freq: trying to init card at 400000 Hz
>>> [    5.956237] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card
>>>

>> Are you sure that some subsystem that you deactivate don't change
>> pin muxing setting? Can you check in the broken system if the pins of the sdcard
>> are correctly muxed? Does it happen even if you change the sdcard?
>
> Did you try to add this patch series:
>
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-omap/msg103264.html
>
> Without it I'm also having problems with MMC detection on some OMAP3 based boards.
>
> Balaji, what is the status of this patch series? Are there any chances that it will be included in v3.14?

Due to dependencies between regulator, mmc, omap def config, devicetree changes,
I am hoping either Chris or Tony pick the whole series for 3.15

Couple of tested-by will surely help.

Thanks and Regards,
Balaji T K

* Re: SD card timeout problems on Nokia N900 (omap_hsmmc on OMAP3)
@ 2014-02-26 17:03       ` Tony Lindgren
From: Tony Lindgren @ 2014-02-26 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Balaji T K
  Cc: Stefan Roese, Sebastian Reichel, Michael Trimarchi,
	Linux OMAP Mailing List, Linux MMC List, 'Chris Ball'

* Balaji T K <balajitk@ti.com> [140226 00:48]:
> On Wednesday 26 February 2014 12:25 PM, Stefan Roese wrote:
> >Hi Sebastian,
> >
> >On 26.02.2014 07:02, Michael Trimarchi wrote:
> >>Hi Sebastian

> Can you provide removed/Disabled dt nodes, it might give some clue ?

> >>Are you sure that some subsystem that you deactivate don't change
> >>pin muxing setting? Can you check in the broken system if the pins of the sdcard
> >>are correctly muxed? Does it happen even if you change the sdcard?
> >
> >Did you try to add this patch series:
> >
> >http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-omap/msg103264.html
> >
> >Without it I'm also having problems with MMC detection on some OMAP3 based boards.
> >
> >Balaji, what is the status of this patch series? Are there any chances that it will be included in v3.14?
> >

> Due to dependencies between regulator, mmc, omap def config, devicetree changes,
> I am hoping either Chris or Tony pick the whole series for 3.15

Best that Chris takes it all, I just acked the only patch that did not have
my ack yet.

> Couple of tested-by will surely help.

Yeah please ack in the thread above if you did not already.

Regards,

Tony