* 3.12-stable kernel tree being taken over by Jiri Slaby
@ 2014-02-26 23:19 Greg Kroah-Hartman
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2014-02-26 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, stable
  Cc: Josh Boyer, Jiri Slaby, Andrew Morton, torvalds, David Miller

As I hinted at in my kernel summit talk about the stable kernel tree, we
have a sucker^Wvolunteer who has stepped up to take over the longterm
maintenance of the 3.12 stable kernel tree.

Jiri Slaby will be doing this work, for how ever long he wants to do it.
I'll still be doing the final releases to kernel.org, like I do for 3.2,
but Jiri will be doing the collecting of patches and other real work
involved in it, including the announcements for its release.

The kernel.org page has already been updated with this information:
	https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

If anyone has any questions about this, please let me know.

David, I don't know if you want to keep doing 3.12-networking patches or
not, I'll let you work that out with Jiri directly.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: 3.12-stable kernel tree being taken over by Jiri Slaby
@ 2014-02-26 23:39 ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2014-02-26 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gregkh; +Cc: linux-kernel, stable, jwboyer, jslaby, akpm, torvalds

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 15:19:10 -0800

> David, I don't know if you want to keep doing 3.12-networking patches or
> not, I'll let you work that out with Jiri directly.

3.12 and 3.13 are very similar, so the work is minimal, therefore I'm
likely to keep doing it.

* Re: 3.12-stable kernel tree being taken over by Jiri Slaby
@ 2014-02-27  8:42   ` Jiri Slaby
From: Jiri Slaby @ 2014-02-27  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller, gregkh; +Cc: linux-kernel, stable, jwboyer, akpm, torvalds

On 02/27/2014 12:39 AM, David Miller wrote:
> From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>
> Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 15:19:10 -0800
>
>> David, I don't know if you want to keep doing 3.12-networking patches or
>> not, I'll let you work that out with Jiri directly.
>
> 3.12 and 3.13 are very similar, so the work is minimal, therefore I'm
> likely to keep doing it.

Hi, do you have any plans including:
commit 18fc25c94eadc52a42c025125af24657a93638c0
Author: Venkat Venkatsubra <venkat.x.venkatsubra@oracle.com>
Date:   Mon Dec 2 15:41:39 2013 -0800

    rds: prevent BUG_ON triggered on congestion update to loopback

which is not needed for 3.13, but is needed for 3.12 to fix CVE-2012-2372?

thanks,
--
js
suse labs

* Re: 3.12-stable kernel tree being taken over by Jiri Slaby
@ 2014-02-27  8:51     ` Jiri Slaby
From: Jiri Slaby @ 2014-02-27  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller, gregkh; +Cc: linux-kernel, stable, jwboyer, akpm, torvalds

On 02/27/2014 09:42 AM, Jiri Slaby wrote:
> On 02/27/2014 12:39 AM, David Miller wrote:
>> From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>
>> Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 15:19:10 -0800
>>
>>> David, I don't know if you want to keep doing 3.12-networking patches or
>>> not, I'll let you work that out with Jiri directly.
>>
>> 3.12 and 3.13 are very similar, so the work is minimal, therefore I'm
>> likely to keep doing it.
>
> Hi, do you have any plans including:
> commit 18fc25c94eadc52a42c025125af24657a93638c0
> Author: Venkat Venkatsubra <venkat.x.venkatsubra@oracle.com>
> Date:   Mon Dec 2 15:41:39 2013 -0800
>
>     rds: prevent BUG_ON triggered on congestion update to loopback
>
> which is not needed for 3.13, but is needed for 3.12 to fix CVE-2012-2372?

Nevermind, cherry-pick taught me, that it is already in 3.12.8. We just
have a different fix in the suse tree which should be dropped now.

Sorry for the noise.

--
js
suse labs

* Re: 3.12-stable kernel tree being taken over by Jiri Slaby
@ 2014-02-27 17:55     ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2014-02-27 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jslaby; +Cc: gregkh, linux-kernel, stable, jwboyer, akpm, torvalds

From: Jiri Slaby <jslaby@suse.cz>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 09:42:32 +0100

> On 02/27/2014 12:39 AM, David Miller wrote:
>> From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>
>> Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 15:19:10 -0800
>>
>>> David, I don't know if you want to keep doing 3.12-networking patches or
>>> not, I'll let you work that out with Jiri directly.
>>
>> 3.12 and 3.13 are very similar, so the work is minimal, therefore I'm
>> likely to keep doing it.
>
> Hi, do you have any plans including:
> commit 18fc25c94eadc52a42c025125af24657a93638c0
> Author: Venkat Venkatsubra <venkat.x.venkatsubra@oracle.com>
> Date:   Mon Dec 2 15:41:39 2013 -0800
>
>     rds: prevent BUG_ON triggered on congestion update to loopback
>
> which is not needed for 3.13, but is needed for 3.12 to fix CVE-2012-2372?

Feel free to integrate this directly into your -stable tree.

Thanks.

* Re: 3.12-stable kernel tree being taken over by Jiri Slaby
@ 2014-02-28  3:02 ` Guenter Roeck
From: Guenter Roeck @ 2014-02-28  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman, linux-kernel, stable
  Cc: Josh Boyer, Jiri Slaby, Andrew Morton, torvalds, David Miller

On 02/26/2014 03:19 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> As I hinted at in my kernel summit talk about the stable kernel tree, we
> have a sucker^Wvolunteer who has stepped up to take over the longterm
> maintenance of the 3.12 stable kernel tree.
>
> Jiri Slaby will be doing this work, for how ever long he wants to do it.
> I'll still be doing the final releases to kernel.org, like I do for 3.2,
> but Jiri will be doing the collecting of patches and other real work
> involved in it, including the announcements for its release.

Jiri,

do you want me to keep running my build tests on the patch queue for 3.12 ?

If yes, I'll probably need to know the location of your (quilt ?) repository
so I can import the patches, similar to what I do for 3.2 and the releases
managed by Greg.

Thanks,
Guenter

* Re: 3.12-stable kernel tree being taken over by Jiri Slaby
@ 2014-02-28 15:58 ` Shuah Khan
From: Shuah Khan @ 2014-02-28 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, stable, Jiri Slaby
  Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Josh Boyer, Andrew Morton, torvalds,
	David Miller, Shuah Khan

On 02/26/2014 04:19 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> As I hinted at in my kernel summit talk about the stable kernel tree, we
> have a sucker^Wvolunteer who has stepped up to take over the longterm
> maintenance of the 3.12 stable kernel tree.
>
> Jiri Slaby will be doing this work, for how ever long he wants to do it.
> I'll still be doing the final releases to kernel.org, like I do for 3.2,
> but Jiri will be doing the collecting of patches and other real work
> involved in it, including the announcements for its release.
>
> The kernel.org page has already been updated with this information:
> 	https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html
>
> If anyone has any questions about this, please let me know.

Hi Jiri,

I test all stable release candidates Greg KH maintains including 3.12.
Would you like me to continue to do that for your 3.12 releases going
forward? If yes, could you please include me on your cc list.

thanks,
-- Shuah

--
Shuah Khan
Senior Linux Kernel Developer - Open Source Group

* Re: 3.12-stable kernel tree being taken over by Jiri Slaby
@ 2014-03-01  9:28   ` Jiri Slaby
From: Jiri Slaby @ 2014-03-01  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guenter Roeck, Greg Kroah-Hartman, linux-kernel, stable
  Cc: Josh Boyer, Andrew Morton, torvalds, David Miller

On 02/28/2014 04:02 AM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On 02/26/2014 03:19 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
>> As I hinted at in my kernel summit talk about the stable kernel tree, we
>> have a sucker^Wvolunteer who has stepped up to take over the longterm
>> maintenance of the 3.12 stable kernel tree.
>>
>> Jiri Slaby will be doing this work, for how ever long he wants to do it.
>> I'll still be doing the final releases to kernel.org, like I do for 3.2,
>> but Jiri will be doing the collecting of patches and other real work
>> involved in it, including the announcements for its release.
>>

> Jiri,

Hi,

> do you want me to keep running my build tests on the patch queue for 3.12 ?

definitely yes, if you could.

> If yes, I'll probably need to know the location of your (quilt ?)
> repository
> so I can import the patches, similar to what I do for 3.2 and the releases
> managed by Greg.

I've just published the stable-3.12-queue at:
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/jirislaby/linux-stable.git/log/?h=stable-3.12-queue

aka

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jirislaby/linux-stable.git#stable-3.12-queue

Published trees will appear in the stable-3.12 branch in the same
repository.

thanks a lot,
--
js
suse labs

* Re: 3.12-stable kernel tree being taken over by Jiri Slaby
@ 2014-03-01 19:05     ` Guenter Roeck
From: Guenter Roeck @ 2014-03-01 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Slaby, Greg Kroah-Hartman, linux-kernel, stable
  Cc: Josh Boyer, Andrew Morton, torvalds, David Miller

> Hi,
>
>> do you want me to keep running my build tests on the patch queue for 3.12 ?
>
> definitely yes, if you could.
>
>> If yes, I'll probably need to know the location of your (quilt ?)
>> repository
>> so I can import the patches, similar to what I do for 3.2 and the releases
>> managed by Greg.
>
> I've just published the stable-3.12-queue at:
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/jirislaby/linux-stable.git/log/?h=stable-3.12-queue
>
> aka
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jirislaby/linux-stable.git#stable-3.12-queue

All set up and working as far as I can see.

Guenter

* Re: 3.12-stable kernel tree being taken over by Jiri Slaby
@ 2014-03-01 19:53   ` Jiri Slaby
From: Jiri Slaby @ 2014-03-01 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shuah.kh, linux-kernel, stable
  Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Josh Boyer, Andrew Morton, torvalds, David Miller

On 02/28/2014 04:58 PM, Shuah Khan wrote:
> On 02/26/2014 04:19 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
>> As I hinted at in my kernel summit talk about the stable kernel tree, we
>> have a sucker^Wvolunteer who has stepped up to take over the longterm
>> maintenance of the 3.12 stable kernel tree.
>>
>> Jiri Slaby will be doing this work, for how ever long he wants to do it.
>> I'll still be doing the final releases to kernel.org, like I do for 3.2,
>> but Jiri will be doing the collecting of patches and other real work
>> involved in it, including the announcements for its release.
>>
>> The kernel.org page has already been updated with this information:
>>     https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html
>>
>> If anyone has any questions about this, please let me know.
>>

> Hi Jiri,
>
> I test all stable release candidates Greg KH maintains including 3.12.
> Would you like me to continue to do that for your 3.12 releases going
> forward? If yes, could you please include me on your cc list.

Sure thing. Thanks in advance.

--
js
suse labs