* unable to get load latency info
@ 2014-02-28  6:24 Muthusamy
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Muthusamy @ 2014-02-28  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-perf-users

Hi,

I am trying to get the memory load latency info using perf, but I am always getting 0.
Can you please help me in understanding what I am missing. Below are the details

[root@rafa tmp]# ./perf --version
perf version 3.12.11
[root@rafa tmp]# ./perf stat -e r100b pwd  ### (I have tried with other data intensive programs too)
/tmp/cms/tmp

 Performance counter stats for 'pwd':

                 0 r100b

       0.000846849 seconds time elapsed

[root@rafa tmp]# uname -a
Linux rafa 2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Sun Nov 10 22:19:54 EST 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[root@rafa tmp]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor: 0
vendor_id: GenuineIntel
cpu family: 6
model: 26
model name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5550  @ 2.67GHz
stepping
: 5
cpu MHz: 1600.000
cache size: 8192 KB
physical id: 0
siblings: 1
core id: 0
cpu cores: 1
apicid: 0
initial apicid: 0
fpu: yes
fpu_exception: yes
cpuid level: 11
wp: yes
flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm dca sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm ida dts tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
bogomips: 5333.09
clflush size: 64
cache_alignment: 64
address sizes: 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor: 1
vendor_id
: GenuineIntel
cpu family: 6
model: 26
model name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5550  @ 2.67GHz
stepping: 5
cpu MHz: 1600.000
cache size: 8192 KB
physical id
: 1
siblings: 1
core id: 0
cpu cores: 1
apicid: 16
initial apicid: 16
fpu: yes
fpu_exception: yes
cpuid level: 11
wp: yes
flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm dca sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm ida dts tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
bogomips: 5332.56
clflush size: 64
cache_alignment: 64
address sizes: 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

[root@rafa tmp]#

Let me know if any other details are also required and steps on how to get them.

Thanks,
Muthusamy C

* Re: unable to get load latency info
@ 2014-02-28 10:43 ` Harald Servat
From: Harald Servat @ 2014-02-28 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muthusamy, linux-perf-users

On 28/02/14 07:24, Muthusamy wrote:
> [...]
> initial apicid: 16
> fpu: yes
> fpu_exception: yes
> cpuid level: 11
> wp: yes
> flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm dca sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm ida dts tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
> bogomips: 5332.56
> clflush size: 64
> cache_alignment: 64
> address sizes: 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
> power management:
>
> [root@rafa tmp]#
>
> Let me know if any other details are also required and steps on how to get them.

Hello Muthusamy,

   I have obtained load latency info through perf record + perf report,
but never used perf stat to do that. I don't know if this is what you're
looking for, but maybe you can give this a try.

   To capture the latency for an app (say /bin/ls)

   # perf mem record /bin/ls

   Then, to show the summary of the results (which part of the cache
hierarchy provided the data for the references) you can use:

   # perf mem report

   Additionally, if you want to know the cost in cycles of every memory
reference captured by PEBS, execute:

   # perf mem report -D

   in that output, each PERF_RECORD_SAMPLE reflects a sample, and its
weight is the latency in cycles that the CPU was waiting for that reference.

   Hope that helps.

Regards.

WARNING / LEGAL TEXT: This message is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
information which is privileged, confidential, proprietary, or exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended
recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the
intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing,
distributing, copying, or in any way using this message. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify the sender and
destroy and delete any copies you may have received.

http://www.bsc.es/disclaimer

* Re: unable to get load latency info
@ 2014-02-28 11:06 ` Manuel Selva
From: Manuel Selva @ 2014-02-28 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muthusamy, linux-perf-users

You must also take care of the fact that PEBS load Latency Measurement
has been introduced in kernel 3.10

http://web.eece.maine.edu/~vweaver/projects/perf_events/features.html
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1428651

Manu

@ 2014-02-28 13:42 ` Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 2014-02-28 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muthusamy; +Cc: linux-perf-users

Muthusamy <muthu9283@yahoo.com> writes:
> perf version 3.12.11
> [root@rafa tmp]# ./perf stat -e r100b pwd  ### (I have tried with
> other data intensive programs too)

I don't think r100b is a valid event on Westmere. Not sure where you got
that from. As others pointed out you need to use perf mem record/report
with sampling (but note that it reports use-latency, not load-latency)

-Andi

--
ak@linux.intel.com -- Speaking for myself only

* Re: unable to get load latency info
@ 2014-02-28 13:57   ` Harald Servat
From: Harald Servat @ 2014-02-28 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andi Kleen; +Cc: linux-perf-users

On 28/02/14 14:42, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Muthusamy <muthu9283@yahoo.com> writes:
>> perf version 3.12.11
>> [root@rafa tmp]# ./perf stat -e r100b pwd  ### (I have tried with
>> other data intensive programs too)
>
> I don't think r100b is a valid event on Westmere. Not sure where you got
> that from. As others pointed out you need to use perf mem record/report
> with sampling (but note that it reports use-latency, not load-latency)
>
> -Andi

Andi,

   what do you mean by use-latency here? I understood that PEBS was able
to report the number of core cycles that the load took to from some part
of the memory hierarchy until it reached the CPU.

Thank you.

@ 2014-02-28 16:45     ` Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 2014-02-28 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Servat; +Cc: Andi Kleen, linux-perf-users

>   what do you mean by use-latency here? I understood that PEBS was
> able to report the number of core cycles that the load took to from
> some part of the memory hierarchy until it reached the CPU.

PEBS load/store latency reports the cycles from when the instruction
started issuing in the pipeline to the return of the value. That's not
quite the same, it can be much longer than the pure memory hierarchy
cost.

-Andi

* Re: unable to get load latency info
@ 2014-03-03  5:12       ` Muthusamy
From: Muthusamy @ 2014-03-03  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Servat, Andi Kleen, linux-perf-users

> On 28/02/14 14:42, Andi Kleen wrote:

> I don't think r100b is a valid event on Westmere.

Thanks for the replies.
As Harald Servat and others pointed I am now trying "perf mem record"

[root@rafa cms]# ./perf mem record /bin/ls
invalid or unsupported event: 'cpu/mem-loads/pp'

Is this a issue with the (old) kernel version I am on or the CPU version or both.

Regards,
Muthusamy C

@ 2014-03-03  7:50         ` Harald Servat
       [not found]           ` <1393851732.26401.YahooMailNeo@web125404.mail.ne1.yahoo.com>
From: Harald Servat @ 2014-03-03  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muthusamy, linux-perf-users

On 03/03/14 06:12, Muthusamy wrote:
>> On 28/02/14 14:42, Andi Kleen wrote:
>
>> I don't think r100b is a valid event on Westmere.
>
> Thanks for the replies.
> As Harald Servat and others pointed I am now trying "perf mem record"
>
> [root@rafa cms]# ./perf mem record /bin/ls
> invalid or unsupported event: 'cpu/mem-loads/pp'
>
> Is this a issue with the (old) kernel version I am on or the CPU version or both.
>
> Regards,
> Muthusamy C

   I'm using

   Linux laptop 3.11.0-12-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 9 16:20:46 UTC
2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

   so I imagine that you're ok with respect to OS. Now I remember I had
to install some microcode module for my OS, though [2]. WRT hardware,
I'm running on top of a

vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 42
model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2760QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
stepping	: 7

    Besides of that, the Intel Manual [1] says in section 18.7.1.1 that
Nehalem (and I'd would guess Westmere, as it is a Nehalem successor)
supports PEBS, so it should work.

Best regards.

[1]
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/manuals/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-vol-3b-part-2-manual.pdf
[2] http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/intel-microcode

@ 2014-03-03 14:24             ` Harald Servat
From: Harald Servat @ 2014-03-03 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muthusamy, linux-perf-users

On 03/03/14 14:02, Muthusamy wrote:
>> On Monday, March 3, 2014 1:20 PM, Harald Servat <harald.servat@bsc.es> wrote:
>>    so I imagine that you're ok with respect to OS.
>>      Besides of that, the Intel Manual [1] says in section 18.7.1.1 that
>> Nehalem (and I'd would guess Westmere, as it is a Nehalem successor)
>> supports PEBS, so it should work.
>

> So, what am I missing. Is there something the kernel needs to be enabled for PEBS. If yes, how do I know if it is enabled.
>
> Regards,
> Muthusamy C

I notice that you provide on an earlier output a uname -a showed
2.6.32-xxxx but perf --version showed version 3.12.11, and they don't
match but should. Are you running on 2.6.x or on 3.12.x?

@ 2014-03-04 10:43               ` Muthusamy
From: Muthusamy @ 2014-03-04 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Servat, linux-perf-users

>>> On Monday, March 3, 2014 1:20 PM, Harald Servat
> <harald.servat@bsc.es> wrote:

> I notice that you provide on an earlier output a uname -a showed
> 2.6.32-xxxx but perf --version showed version 3.12.11, and they don't
> match but should. Are you running on 2.6.x or on 3.12.x?

After upgrading the kernel, it did work.
Thanks a lot for the support.

Regards,
Muthusamy C