* Build qemuarm compatible with freescale i.MX6
@ 2014-02-28 10:03 Federico Vitali
From: Federico Vitali @ 2014-02-28 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Goodmorning,

I'm new to yocto project, I would like to know if there is the possibility
to build a qemuarm
kernel compatible with fsl i.MX6. I'm developing with a sabre SD board and
I would like to
run the same filesystem both on the real target and via qemu emulation on
my PC for application
developement purposes.

Thank you in advance to anyone who wants to contribute!

Federico

* Re: Build qemuarm compatible with freescale i.MX6
@ 2014-02-28 13:53 ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2014-02-28 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Il 28/02/2014 11:03, Federico Vitali ha scritto:
> Goodmorning,
>
> I'm new to yocto project, I would like to know if there is the
> possibility to build a qemuarm
> kernel compatible with fsl i.MX6. I'm developing with a sabre SD board
> and I would like to
> run the same filesystem both on the real target and via qemu emulation
> on my PC for application
> developement purposes.
>
> Thank you in advance to anyone who wants to contribute!

Federico,
AFAIK the kernel can't be the same and moreover iMX6 generated system
will use hw graphic acceleration, so probably couldn't be the same.
You can use a generic ARM kernel on qemuarm and a specific one on iMX6
with the same image type though.

Ciao
--
Marco Cavallini | KOAN sas | Bergamo - Italia
  embedded and real-time software engineering

* Re: Build qemuarm compatible with freescale i.MX6
@ 2014-02-28 14:54   ` Federico Vitali
From: Federico Vitali @ 2014-02-28 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Cavallini; +Cc: yocto

Thank you Marco.
so I can run a generic arm qemu kernel with the image created for my sabre
sd card?
I suppose I have to make a qemu armv7 kernel, am I wrong? In that case how
can I
configure my local.conf to make a qemu armv7 kernel?

Thank you again

@ 2014-02-28 15:02     ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2014-02-28 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Il 28/02/2014 15:54, Federico Vitali ha scritto:
> Thank you Marco.
> so I can run a generic arm qemu kernel with the image created for my
> sabre sd card?
> I suppose I have to make a qemu armv7 kernel, am I wrong? In that case
> how can I
> configure my local.conf to make a qemu armv7 kernel?
>
> Thank you again

Federico,
The kernel and image you create for iMX6 is cortexa9hf
the one created for qemuarm is arm926ejs
You can do tests with quemuarm but the binaries aren't compatible.
So returning to your original question, no you can't run the same

@ 2014-03-03  9:09       ` Federico Vitali
From: Federico Vitali @ 2014-03-03  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Cavallini; +Cc: yocto

Thank you Marco! What is the best pratice for application developement
purposed?
Should I use a qemuarm arch or a qemux86 is better for performance reasons
debugging
on a x86_64 machine?

Thank you again

@ 2014-03-03 15:16         ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2014-03-03 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Il 03/03/2014 10:09, Federico Vitali ha scritto:
> Thank you Marco! What is the best pratice for application developement
> purposed?
> Should I use a qemuarm arch or a qemux86 is better for performance
> reasons debugging
> on a x86_64 machine?
>
> Thank you again

IMHO