* libfslvpuwrap license question
@ 2014-03-11 11:14 Carlos Rafael Giani
From: Carlos Rafael Giani @ 2014-03-11 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

Hello,

in my gstreamer-imx project, I need to work around certain problems the
libfslvpuwrap library (also called the "VPU wrapper") has. However, the
efforts to do so are considerable, and it would be much better (and
cleaner, more robust) to simply fix that library.

On one hand, the source is available, so I can patch it. On the other
hand, the licensing situation is unclear. Can I just copy
vpu_wrapper.c/.h , patch these, and keep the patched files in the
gstreamer-imx repository (this project is LGPLv2 licensed) ? If not, I
will have to start thinking about a reimplementation of several VPU
wrapper parts, and use the underlying imx-vpu interface directly instead.

Carlos

* Re: libfslvpuwrap license question
@ 2014-03-11 11:39 ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2014-03-11 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Rafael Giani; +Cc: meta-freescale

Hello Carlos,

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 8:14 AM, Carlos Rafael Giani
<dv@pseudoterminal.org> wrote:
> in my gstreamer-imx project, I need to work around certain problems the
> libfslvpuwrap library (also called the "VPU wrapper") has. However, the
> efforts to do so are considerable, and it would be much better (and cleaner,
> more robust) to simply fix that library.
>
> On one hand, the source is available, so I can patch it. On the other hand,
> the licensing situation is unclear. Can I just copy vpu_wrapper.c/.h , patch
> these, and keep the patched files in the gstreamer-imx repository (this
> project is LGPLv2 licensed) ? If not, I will have to start thinking about a
> reimplementation of several VPU wrapper parts, and use the underlying
> imx-vpu interface directly instead.

Yes you can fork it. The LGPLv2 license is quite permissive and also
your code is license compatible.

* Re: libfslvpuwrap license question
@ 2014-03-11 12:30   ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2014-03-11 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Rafael Giani; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 8:39 AM, Otavio Salvador
<otavio@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
> Hello Carlos,
>
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 8:14 AM, Carlos Rafael Giani
> <dv@pseudoterminal.org> wrote:
>> in my gstreamer-imx project, I need to work around certain problems the
>> libfslvpuwrap library (also called the "VPU wrapper") has. However, the
>> efforts to do so are considerable, and it would be much better (and cleaner,
>> more robust) to simply fix that library.
>>
>> On one hand, the source is available, so I can patch it. On the other hand,
>> the licensing situation is unclear. Can I just copy vpu_wrapper.c/.h , patch
>> these, and keep the patched files in the gstreamer-imx repository (this
>> project is LGPLv2 licensed) ? If not, I will have to start thinking about a
>> reimplementation of several VPU wrapper parts, and use the underlying
>> imx-vpu interface directly instead.
>
> Yes you can fork it. The LGPLv2 license is quite permissive and also
> your code is license compatible.

Sorry but now I double check it and I have said the wrong thing for you.

The vpuwrap is indeed FSL proprietary code; to avoid any complications
I'd say you to add a header file, and a counterpart .c file, on top of
it to 'hide' its issues and avoid any license complication to your
code.

Sorry but I have read your message as the vpuwrap was LGPL, so my
misunderstanding.