* [Qemu-devel] Windows XP Setup hangs on Fedora FC20 install
@ 2014-03-16 12:40 Gerhard Wiesinger
From: Gerhard Wiesinger @ 2014-03-16 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hello,

I tried to install XP SP3 (also tried XP SP2) on a new VM (IDE, 1GB RAM,
VMVGA, more details can be provided if necessary) on Fedora 20 (Packages
below), but it hangs on "Installing Windows/Installing Devices".

Was reproduceable 2 times. Anyone has similar problems?

Looks to me like a regression problem.

Thank you.

Ciao,
Gerhard

Details:
qemu-kvm-1.6.1-3.fc20.x86_64
kernel: 3.13.6-200.fc20.x86_64
seabios-bin-1.7.3.1-1.fc20.noarch
Hardware: Intel

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows XP Setup hangs on Fedora FC20 install
@ 2014-03-16 17:50 ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2014-03-16 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerhard Wiesinger, qemu-devel

Il 16/03/2014 13:40, Gerhard Wiesinger ha scritto:
> Hello,
>
> I tried to install XP SP3 (also tried XP SP2) on a new VM (IDE, 1GB RAM,
> VMVGA, more details can be provided if necessary) on Fedora 20 (Packages
> below), but it hangs on "Installing Windows/Installing Devices".
>
> Was reproduceable 2 times. Anyone has similar problems?

What version worked for you?  Does it work with vmware VGA?

Paolo

@ 2014-03-16 20:19   ` Gerhard Wiesinger
From: Gerhard Wiesinger @ 2014-03-16 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini, qemu-devel

On 16.03.2014 18:50, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Il 16/03/2014 13:40, Gerhard Wiesinger ha scritto:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I tried to install XP SP3 (also tried XP SP2) on a new VM (IDE, 1GB RAM,
>> VMVGA, more details can be provided if necessary) on Fedora 20 (Packages
>> below), but it hangs on "Installing Windows/Installing Devices".
>>
>> Was reproduceable 2 times. Anyone has similar problems?
>
> What version worked for you?  Does it work with vmware VGA?

Hello Paolo,

I didn't install XP for a long time, so I don't have any reference
version which worked well. As I wrote I tested with VMVGA which didn't work.

Thank you.

Ciao,
Gerhard

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows XP Setup hangs on Fedora FC20 install
@ 2014-03-17 12:31 ` Cole Robinson
From: Cole Robinson @ 2014-03-17 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerhard Wiesinger, qemu-devel

On 03/16/2014 08:40 AM, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tried to install XP SP3 (also tried XP SP2) on a new VM (IDE, 1GB RAM,
> VMVGA, more details can be provided if necessary) on Fedora 20 (Packages
> below), but it hangs on "Installing Windows/Installing Devices".
>
> Was reproduceable 2 times. Anyone has similar problems?
>
> Looks to me like a regression problem.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Ciao,
> Gerhard
>
> Details:
> qemu-kvm-1.6.1-3.fc20.x86_64
> kernel: 3.13.6-200.fc20.x86_64
> seabios-bin-1.7.3.1-1.fc20.noarch
> Hardware: Intel

Works fine here but I'm using AMD. Please file a Fedora bug against qemu, and
include:

- full qemu command line (if using libvirt: /var/log/libvirt/qemu/$vmname.log)
- Any qemu stdout/stderr output
- Check dmesg for any kvm errors
- Try booting an older Fedora 20 kernel and see if it makes any difference
- Optionally try a rawhide kernel: sudo yum install fedora-release-rawhide &&
sudo yum --enablrepo=rawhide update kernel

Thanks,
Cole

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows XP Setup hangs on Fedora FC20 install
@ 2014-03-20  6:35   ` Gerhard Wiesinger
From: Gerhard Wiesinger @ 2014-03-20  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cole Robinson, qemu-devel

On 17.03.2014 13:31, Cole Robinson wrote:
> Works fine here but I'm using AMD. Please file a Fedora bug against qemu, and
> include:
>
> - full qemu command line (if using libvirt: /var/log/libvirt/qemu/$vmname.log)
> - Any qemu stdout/stderr output
> - Check dmesg for any kvm errors
> - Try booting an older Fedora 20 kernel and see if it makes any difference
> - Optionally try a rawhide kernel: sudo yum install fedora-release-rawhide &&
> sudo yum --enablrepo=rawhide update kernel

Hello Cole,

I tried it on a Fedora 20 installation with latest updates (same
software version) with an AMD CPU and I can confirm that it works, too.

Can you try it on Intel based CPUs, too?

Thank you.

Ciao,
Gerhard

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows XP Setup hangs on Fedora FC20 install
@ 2014-03-20 17:23     ` Cole Robinson
From: Cole Robinson @ 2014-03-20 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerhard Wiesinger, qemu-devel

On 03/20/2014 02:35 AM, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:
> On 17.03.2014 13:31, Cole Robinson wrote:
>> Works fine here but I'm using AMD. Please file a Fedora bug against qemu, and
>> include:
>>
>> - full qemu command line (if using libvirt: /var/log/libvirt/qemu/$vmname.log)
>> - Any qemu stdout/stderr output
>> - Check dmesg for any kvm errors
>> - Try booting an older Fedora 20 kernel and see if it makes any difference
>> - Optionally try a rawhide kernel: sudo yum install fedora-release-rawhide &&
>> sudo yum --enablrepo=rawhide update kernel
>>

> Hello Cole,
>
> I tried it on a Fedora 20 installation with latest updates (same software
> version) with an AMD CPU and I can confirm that it works, too.
>
> Can you try it on Intel based CPUs, too?

Works fine on my t430s thinkpad, intel i7.

Please file a bug with the requested info and we can follow up there.

- Cole