* 0/N patch emails - to use or not to use?
@ 2014-04-12 21:23 Dan Streetman
From: Dan Streetman @ 2014-04-12 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Linux-MM

Hi Andrew,

I noticed in your The Perfect Patch doc:
http://www.ozlabs.org/~akpm/stuff/tpp.txt
Section 6b says you don't like 0/N patch series description-only
emails.  Is that still true?  Because it seems the majority of patch
series do include a 0/N descriptive email...

* Re: 0/N patch emails - to use or not to use?
@ 2014-04-16 22:57 ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2014-04-16 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Streetman; +Cc: Linux-MM

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 17:23:31 -0400 Dan Streetman <ddstreet@ieee.org> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> I noticed in your The Perfect Patch doc:
> http://www.ozlabs.org/~akpm/stuff/tpp.txt
> Section 6b says you don't like 0/N patch series description-only
> emails.  Is that still true?  Because it seems the majority of patch
> series do include a 0/N descriptive email...

hm, I think what I said about git there isn't true - merge commits can
contain changelogs.

Whatever.  0/n is OK and is more email-reader-friendly.

* Re: 0/N patch emails - to use or not to use?
@ 2014-04-17 14:51   ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2014-04-17 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton, Dan Streetman; +Cc: Linux-MM

On 04/16/2014 03:57 PM, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 17:23:31 -0400 Dan Streetman <ddstreet@ieee.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> I noticed in your The Perfect Patch doc:
>> http://www.ozlabs.org/~akpm/stuff/tpp.txt
>> Section 6b says you don't like 0/N patch series description-only
>> emails.  Is that still true?  Because it seems the majority of patch
>> series do include a 0/N descriptive email...
>
> hm, I think what I said about git there isn't true - merge commits can
> contain changelogs.
>
> Whatever.  0/n is OK and is more email-reader-friendly.

I don't mind a 0/n patch if there is lots of history or background
or data to be presented, but I find it silly to use a patch 0/1 and
patch 1/1 for a single, small patch, like some people do because that
is what git wants to do.

--
~Randy