* Anyone else see host machine lockups?
@ 2014-04-18 20:09 Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2014-04-18 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath10k

We can reliably lock up a host system (no splats, no mention of
firmware crashes, system just dies) when we bring up or down a
bunch of vifs in a system with 3 radios in a PC.

Anyone else seeing similar?

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>

* Re: Anyone else see host machine lockups?
@ 2014-04-19 14:41 ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2014-04-19 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Greear; +Cc: ath10k

Heh, no, but back in the day this'd happen if the DMA engine wasn't
shut down in the right order. The NIC would start DMAing crap all over
random memory.

I wonder if that's happening here.

-a

@ 2014-04-19 15:03   ` Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2014-04-19 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Chadd; +Cc: ath10k

On 04/19/2014 07:41 AM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Heh, no, but back in the day this'd happen if the DMA engine wasn't
> shut down in the right order. The NIC would start DMAing crap all over
> random memory.
>
> I wonder if that's happening here.

Maybe, but I would hope that such a problem would at least often crash
the OS with some strange crashes as opposed to just silent host lockup?

Thanks,
Ben

@ 2014-04-22  6:53 ` Michal Kazior
From: Michal Kazior @ 2014-04-22  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Greear; +Cc: ath10k

On 18 April 2014 22:09, Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> wrote:
> We can reliably lock up a host system (no splats, no mention of
> firmware crashes, system just dies) when we bring up or down a
> bunch of vifs in a system with 3 radios in a PC.
>
> Anyone else seeing similar?

From what I understand this seems to be faulty CUS hardware design.
The problem occurs when trying to perform cold reset on target device
which sometimes leads to voltage drops/spikes which in turn breaks
PCI-E link. Some host controllers apparently can't deal with it and
hang the whole machine (e.g. Thinkpad T430), while others just lose
connectivity with the device and need re-plugging (e.g. Dell E6420) or
display a splat and need to be restarted before given PCI-E slot can
be used again (e.g. AP135's "Data bus error").

Michal

* Re: Anyone else see host machine lockups?
@ 2014-04-22 14:44   ` Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2014-04-22 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Kazior; +Cc: ath10k

On 04/21/2014 11:53 PM, Michal Kazior wrote:
> On 18 April 2014 22:09, Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> wrote:
>> We can reliably lock up a host system (no splats, no mention of
>> firmware crashes, system just dies) when we bring up or down a
>> bunch of vifs in a system with 3 radios in a PC.
>>
>> Anyone else seeing similar?
>
>>From what I understand this seems to be faulty CUS hardware design.
> The problem occurs when trying to perform cold reset on target device
> which sometimes leads to voltage drops/spikes which in turn breaks
> PCI-E link. Some host controllers apparently can't deal with it and
> hang the whole machine (e.g. Thinkpad T430), while others just lose
> connectivity with the device and need re-plugging (e.g. Dell E6420) or
> display a splat and need to be restarted before given PCI-E slot can
> be used again (e.g. AP135's "Data bus error").

I see this on WLE900VX NICs as well, so it's not just a CUS issue.

And, I don't think it is just cold-reset, because I do not see any
console messages about attempting a cold reset.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>