* Re: Kvaser socketCAN support
       [not found] <f0331cq3H1VPknv.RZmta@smtp.rzone.de>
@ 2014-04-21 17:48 ` Oliver Hartkopp
       [not found]   ` <r049e3q3UHfiSQJ.RZmta@smtp.rzone.de>
From: Oliver Hartkopp @ 2014-04-21 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Smith, Christopher - 0999 - MITLL
  Cc: Kvaser Support (support@kvaser.com), linux-can, Olivier Sobrie

Hello Christopher,

the Kvaser Leaf USB driver has been contributed by Olivier Sobrie (see CC).

See log messages of the driver in the Linux Mainline repository:
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/drivers/net/can/usb/kvaser_usb.c

The initial support was added at 2012-11-27 and emerged in Linux 3.8.

Regards,
Oliver

ps. feel free to ask this kind of questions on the linux-can mailing list
which I added in CC. Tnx

On 17.04.2014 03:31, Smith, Christopher - 0999 - MITLL wrote:
> Hi, I was just looking to get confirmation and a few points for getting the
> initial install figured out.
>

> I have a kvaser leaf device that I'd like to use with socketCAN.  Is this in
> fact supported?
>

> I noticed the general process for setting up socketCAN documented on wikipedia
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SocketCAN>.  When I issue the following command:
>

> ip link add dev vcan0 type vcan
>

> What do I replace vcan0 with?  I’ve tried can0 with no luck.  Is there a way
> to check which devices are registered?  I’m not entirely sure that when I
> plugged in the USB device the proper drivers were recognized.  I may need some
> of the lower level drivers distributed by Kvaser.
>

> Thank you,
>

> Chris

* Re: (Case 14359) Kvaser socketCAN support
@ 2014-04-22  0:40   ` Kvaser Support
       [not found]   ` <r049e3q3UHfiSQJ.RZmta@smtp.rzone.de>
From: Kvaser Support @ 2014-04-22  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Hartkopp; +Cc: linux-can, Olivier Sobrie

Thanks for the information Oliver.

Is there a good location for us to point to that would list the current hardware supported by Socketcan and the version of Linux needed for that support?  A site that is kept up to date?

I am looking for something that we could put in a FAQ on our website that point people using socketcan in the correct direction.

Best regards,

Troy
--
Kvaser Support
support@kvaser.com

@ 2014-04-22  5:54     ` Yegor Yefremov
From: Yegor Yefremov @ 2014-04-22  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kvaser Support; +Cc: Oliver Hartkopp, linux-can, Olivier Sobrie

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 2:40 AM, Kvaser Support <support@kvaser.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the information Oliver.
>
> Is there a good location for us to point to that would list the current hardware supported by Socketcan and the version of Linux needed for that support?  A site that is kept up to date?
>
> I am looking for something that we could put in a FAQ on our website that point people using socketcan in the correct direction.

Try http://elinux.org/CAN_Bus

The wiki could definitely get more care, but from time to time we update it.

Regards,
Yegor

@ 2014-04-23  7:38       ` Kvaser Support
From: Kvaser Support @ 2014-04-23  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yegor Yefremov; +Cc: Oliver Hartkopp, linux-can, Olivier Sobrie

Looking at the provided web page and associated links, I do not see:
- a list of vendor supported/tested CAN hardware
- the Linux distribution where this support was included.

These are two basic questions that we get concerning socketcan.

Best regards,

Troy
--
Kvaser Support
support@kvaser.com

@ 2014-04-23  7:48         ` Yegor Yefremov
From: Yegor Yefremov @ 2014-04-23  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kvaser Support; +Cc: Oliver Hartkopp, linux-can, Olivier Sobrie

Hi Troy,

What about this link
(http://elinux.org/CAN_Bus#SocketCAN_Supported_Controllers)?

Linux distribution table i.e. Linux kernel version where not bad. I've
also thought about a list of Linux distors, that maintain can-utils,
libsocketcan etc.

Yegor

@ 2014-04-23 16:19           ` Kvaser Support
From: Kvaser Support @ 2014-04-23 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yegor Yefremov; +Cc: Oliver Hartkopp, linux-can, Olivier Sobrie

The provided link covers chips and mentions ESD CAN Cards.  But I do not see any mention of Kvaser in the list.  So, on quick glance I thought it was a list of supported chips.

Most people who purchase will be looking for product level names.  They rarely look in depth at the chip or clock used in the product.  They just want the card to work and are trying to confirm that a particular product works with socketcan.

Best regards,

Troy
--
Kvaser Support
support@kvaser.com

@ 2014-04-24  7:46             ` Yegor Yefremov
From: Yegor Yefremov @ 2014-04-24  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kvaser Support; +Cc: Oliver Hartkopp, linux-can, Olivier Sobrie

What about making a table with following columns:

1. driver module name
2. supported devices
3. kernel version, where all these devices are supported

*alternative variant*

1. device name
2. related driver module name
3. kernel version

*another alternative*

the central wiki page shows all modules as a list, each element of the
list opens a new page with following table:

1. device name (perhaps with a product link)
2. kernel version

Marc, Oliver what do you think?

Yegor

@ 2014-04-24  9:19               ` Marc Kleine-Budde
From: Marc Kleine-Budde @ 2014-04-24  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yegor Yefremov, Kvaser Support; +Cc: Oliver Hartkopp, linux-can, Olivier Sobrie

On 04/24/2014 09:46 AM, Yegor Yefremov wrote:
> What about making a table with following columns:
>
> 1. driver module name
> 2. supported devices
> 3. kernel version, where all these devices are supported
>
> *alternative variant*
>
> 1. device name
> 2. related driver module name
> 3. kernel version

^^^ I think this is the most useful variant.

> *another alternative*
>
> the central wiki page shows all modules as a list, each element of the
> list opens a new page with following table:
>
> 1. device name (perhaps with a product link)
> 2. kernel version
>
> Marc, Oliver what do you think?
>
> Yegor

Marc

--
Pengutronix e.K.                  | Marc Kleine-Budde           |
Industrial Linux Solutions        | Phone: +49-231-2826-924     |

* Re: (Case 14359) Kvaser socketCAN support
@ 2014-04-24 12:01                 ` Oliver Hartkopp
From: Oliver Hartkopp @ 2014-04-24 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Kleine-Budde, Yegor Yefremov, Kvaser Support
  Cc: linux-can, Olivier Sobrie

On 24.04.2014 11:19, Marc Kleine-Budde wrote:
> On 04/24/2014 09:46 AM, Yegor Yefremov wrote:
>> What about making a table with following columns:
>>
>> 1. driver module name
>> 2. supported devices
>> 3. kernel version, where all these devices are supported
>>
>> *alternative variant*
>>
>> 1. device name
>> 2. related driver module name
>> 3. kernel version
>
> ^^^ I think this is the most useful variant.

Yep!

If possible I would like to add the Vendor too:

1. Vendor (with URL to the Vendor)
2. device name  (with URL to the Product if possible)
3. related driver module name
4. Kconfig option: CONFIG_CAN CONFIG_CAN_DEV CONFIG_SJA1000 CONFIG_EMS_PCMCIA
5. since kernel version (or "out-of-tree")
6. Remarks

Point 4. might probably be too much ...

As elinux.org uses the same Wiki system, i would suggest to
have a sorted table to be able to sort by Vendor / device name / Kernel version

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Table#Sorting_and_collapsing

Btw. the DE example looks better
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilfe:Tabellen#Sortierbare_Tabelle

Regards,
Oliver

ps. My account creation at elinux.org still waits for approval ...

* Re: (Case 14359) Kvaser socketCAN support
@ 2014-04-24 12:06                   ` Marc Kleine-Budde
From: Marc Kleine-Budde @ 2014-04-24 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Hartkopp, Yegor Yefremov, Kvaser Support; +Cc: linux-can, Olivier Sobrie

On 04/24/2014 02:01 PM, Oliver Hartkopp wrote:

> On 24.04.2014 11:19, Marc Kleine-Budde wrote:
>> On 04/24/2014 09:46 AM, Yegor Yefremov wrote:
>>> What about making a table with following columns:
>>>
>>> 1. driver module name
>>> 2. supported devices
>>> 3. kernel version, where all these devices are supported
>>>
>>> *alternative variant*
>>>
>>> 1. device name
>>> 2. related driver module name
>>> 3. kernel version
>>
>> ^^^ I think this is the most useful variant.
>
> Yep!
>
> If possible I would like to add the Vendor too:
>
> 1. Vendor (with URL to the Vendor)
> 2. device name  (with URL to the Product if possible)
> 3. related driver module name
> 4. Kconfig option: CONFIG_CAN CONFIG_CAN_DEV CONFIG_SJA1000 CONFIG_EMS_PCMCIA

Please only the Kconfig option of the device (CONFIG_EMS_PCMCIA), maybe
CONFIG_SJA1000, but not more.

Marc

--

@ 2014-04-24 12:34                     ` Yegor Yefremov
From: Yegor Yefremov @ 2014-04-24 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Kleine-Budde
  Cc: Oliver Hartkopp, Kvaser Support, linux-can, Olivier Sobrie

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 2:06 PM, Marc Kleine-Budde <mkl@pengutronix.de> wrote:
> On 04/24/2014 02:01 PM, Oliver Hartkopp wrote:

>>> ^^^ I think this is the most useful variant.
>>
>> Yep!
>>
>> If possible I would like to add the Vendor too:
>>
>> 1. Vendor (with URL to the Vendor)
>> 2. device name  (with URL to the Product if possible)
>> 3. related driver module name
>> 4. Kconfig option: CONFIG_CAN CONFIG_CAN_DEV CONFIG_SJA1000 CONFIG_EMS_PCMCIA
>
> Please only the Kconfig option of the device (CONFIG_EMS_PCMCIA), maybe
> CONFIG_SJA1000, but not more.

Have created a table and the first entry. Our wiki seems to have problems
with sorted lists.

Yegor

* Re: (Case 14359) Kvaser socketCAN support
@ 2014-04-24 18:56                       ` Oliver Hartkopp
From: Oliver Hartkopp @ 2014-04-24 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yegor Yefremov, Marc Kleine-Budde
  Cc: Kvaser Support, linux-can, Olivier Sobrie

On 24.04.2014 14:34, Yegor Yefremov wrote:

> Have created a table and the first entry. Our wiki seems to have problems
> with sorted lists.

Got my wiki account :-)

I extended the table outline a bit and added some more examples.
Please take a look if it looks sane or if it should be tuned again.

@ 2014-04-24 19:29                         ` Yegor Yefremov
From: Yegor Yefremov @ 2014-04-24 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Hartkopp
  Cc: Marc Kleine-Budde, Kvaser Support, linux-can, Olivier Sobrie

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 8:56 PM, Oliver Hartkopp <socketcan@hartkopp.net> wrote:
> On 24.04.2014 14:34, Yegor Yefremov wrote:
>

>> Have created a table and the first entry. Our wiki seems to have problems
>> with sorted lists.
>
> Got my wiki account :-)
>
> I extended the table outline a bit and added some more examples.
> Please take a look if it looks sane or if it should be tuned again.
>
> http://elinux.org/CAN_Bus#SocketCAN_Supported_Controllers

Looks sane to me. Thanks.

Yegor

* Re: (Case 14359) Kvaser socketCAN support
@ 2014-04-24 22:12                           ` Kvaser Support
From: Kvaser Support @ 2014-04-24 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yegor Yefremov
  Cc: Marc Kleine-Budde, linux-can, Olivier Sobrie, Oliver Hartkopp

Looks great!

Just missing Kvaser from the list.  Do you need anything from me to add Kvaser to the table?  Web page links?

Best regards,

Troy
--
Kvaser Support
support@kvaser.com

>> On 24.04.2014 14:34, Yegor Yefremov wrote:
>>

>>> Have created a table and the first entry. Our wiki seems to have problems
>>> with sorted lists.
>>
>> Got my wiki account :-)
>>
>> I extended the table outline a bit and added some more examples.
>> Please take a look if it looks sane or if it should be tuned again.
>>
>> http://elinux.org/CAN_Bus#SocketCAN_Supported_Controllers
>
>Looks sane to me. Thanks.
>
>Yegor

* SocketCAN Supported Controllers information updates
@ 2014-04-25 20:38                             ` Oliver Hartkopp
From: Oliver Hartkopp @ 2014-04-25 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kvaser Support, Yegor Yefremov
  Cc: Marc Kleine-Budde, linux-can, Olivier Sobrie

Hello Troy,

I just added the USB based drivers for Kvaser and PEAK.

This is a pretty boring and laborious work ... e.g. to retrieve the
information from product websites (URLs) or the Linux version.

Please check if

	http://elinux.org/CAN_Bus#SocketCAN_Supported_Controllers

looks ok from the Kvaser side.

When not all of you want to have a wiki account, you may send the wiki code
lines for integration into the wiki on this list, so that Yegor or me can
just copy/paste the line into the wiki.

E.g. for the Kvaser USB this was:

|[http://www.kvaser.com/ Kvaser] || [http://www.kvaser.com/products-services/our-products/ Leaf] || kvaser_usb || (unknown) || CONFIG_CAN_KVASER_USB || 3.8 || supports USB Leaf / Memorator / Blackbird / R (see detailed USB device IDs in kvaser_usb.c)

Best regards,
Oliver

On 25.04.2014 00:12, Kvaser Support wrote:
> Looks great!
>
> Just missing Kvaser from the list.  Do you need anything from me to add Kvaser to the table?  Web page links?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Troy

* elinux wiki
@ 2014-04-27 17:41                         ` Kurt Van Dijck
From: Kurt Van Dijck @ 2014-04-27 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Hartkopp; +Cc: Yegor Yefremov, Marc Kleine-Budde, linux-can

Hey,

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 08:56:51PM +0200, Oliver Hartkopp wrote:
> On 24.04.2014 14:34, Yegor Yefremov wrote:
>

> > Have created a table and the first entry. Our wiki seems to have problems
> > with sorted lists.

I like the idea of a wiki to put this kind of information into.
I appreciated the wireless pages some time ago when things evolved
very quick.

> Got my wiki account :-)
>
> I extended the table outline a bit and added some more examples.

I just added Softing driver, without deep investigations yet.

> Please take a look if it looks sane or if it should be tuned again.
>
> http://elinux.org/CAN_Bus#SocketCAN_Supported_Controllers

Maybe 1 hint: an extra column to put firmware links. This may be
as important as module name or CONFIG option.

Kind regards,
Kurt

* Re: (Case 14383) SocketCAN Supported Controllers information updates
@ 2014-04-28  0:25                               ` Kvaser Support
From: Kvaser Support @ 2014-04-28  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Hartkopp
  Cc: Yegor Yefremov, Marc Kleine-Budde, linux-can, Olivier Sobrie

Looks good.  Thanks for updating this information.  I will let you know when we have our FAQ page up so you can comment.

Best regards,

Troy
--
Kvaser Support
support@kvaser.com

@ 2014-05-01  8:56     ` Oliver Hartkopp
       [not found]       ` <R0595dq41EVg2BS.RZmta@smtp.rzone.de>
From: Oliver Hartkopp @ 2014-05-01  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Smith, Christopher - 0999 - MITLL; +Cc: linux-can, Adams, Shawn - 0999 - MITLL

Christopher,

On 30.04.2014 19:41, Smith, Christopher - 0999 - MITLL wrote:
> Oliver,
>
> After digging around a bit more it seems like I'm having the same problem
> that was mentioned here:
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.network.socketcan.user/1445

What exactly do you refer to from this thread?

> can0 never comes up

???

Does can0 apprear in dmesg or in /proc/net/dev

??

Pls post the dmesg output of the relevant lines here.
And the lsusb output.

> even though dmesg seems to indicate that other
> initialization has gone smoothly.  Is this a problem where one type of
> kvaser hardware is working but perhaps another variant does not?

I'm still not the right person to ask these kind of questions - that's why I
tried to forward your request to Olivier (not Oliver) last time (see below in
this mail).

The only I know about the Kvaser driver and it's supported hardware is what
you can determine yourself from the Kvasers Kconfig section or the driver itself:

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/tree/drivers/net/can/usb/Kconfig?h=linux-3.14.y#n16

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/tree/drivers/net/can/usb/kvaser_usb.c?h=linux-3.14.y#n33

Regards,
Oliver

  If so

@ 2014-05-01 16:24         ` Oliver Hartkopp
       [not found]           ` <6073ccq41HkW3ar.RZmta@smtp.rzone.de>
       [not found]           ` <53628879.751e8c0a.6be4.ffffc061SMTPIN_ADDED_MISSING@mx.google.com>
From: Oliver Hartkopp @ 2014-05-01 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adams, Shawn - 0999 - MITLL
  Cc: Smith, Christopher - 0999 - MITLL, linux-can, Olivier Sobrie,

On 01.05.2014 16:31, Adams, Shawn - 0999 - MITLL wrote:
> On boot, with the kvaser device attached we see a vcan0
> Please find the output of lsusb and dmesg as well as the contents of /proc/net/dev
>
> root@localhost:~# cat /proc/net/dev
> Inter-|   Receive                                                |  Transmit
>  face |bytes    packets errs drop fifo frame compressed multicast|bytes    packets errs drop fifo colls carrier compressed
>  vcan0:       0       0    0    0    0     0          0         0        0       0    0    0    0     0       0          0
>     lo:    3432      40    0    0    0     0          0         0     3432      40    0    0    0     0       0          0
>   eth0:       0       0    0    0    0     0          0         0     1646      11    0    0    0     0       0          0

Ok - you have a vcan0 (which is implemented by the virtual CAN 'vcan' driver).
Nothing like "can0" we would expect from a *real* CAN interface :-(

> root@localhost:~# lsusb
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bfd:0017 Kvaser AB

Looks like a
#define USB_LEAF_PRO_LIN_PRODUCT_ID	17

> root@localhost:~# dmesg |grep -i can
> [    4.231784] CAN device driver interface
> [    5.233369] kvaser_usb 1-1:1.0: Cannot get software infos, error -110

Ugh!
The driver fails to retrieve the firmware information. Therefore no 'can0' is
created by the driver.

The return code '-110' is a timeout, see
linux/include/uapi/asm-generic/errno.h:

#define ETIMEDOUT       110     /* Connection timed out */

So it looks like an USB communication problem - or the hardware does not know
about the firmware information command.

Besides trying another PC with a different USB host adapter the only guys that
might help in this situation are Olivier or Troy - I put them in CC.

Regards,
Oliver

@ 2014-05-01 18:46             ` Oliver Hartkopp
From: Oliver Hartkopp @ 2014-05-01 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Smith, Christopher - 0999 - MITLL, Adams, Shawn - 0999 - MITLL
  Cc: linux-can, Olivier Sobrie, Kvaser Support (support@kvaser.com)

Hi Chris,

On 01.05.2014 19:46, Smith, Christopher - 0999 - MITLL wrote:
> Oliver, thank you for taking a look at this.  I'm guessing that other
> testing you did used that same USB command and did not have any problem?

Just to make it clear:
I did no testing with Kvaser USB hardware as I do not have any of it here.
Don't mix me up with Olivier Sobrie (who wrote the Kvaser USB driver).

Regards,
Oliver (Hartkopp)

@ 2014-05-01 20:46             ` Olivier Sobrie
       [not found]               ` <5363a95a.e3208c0a.bc54.574dSMTPIN_ADDED_MISSING@mx.google.com>
From: Olivier Sobrie @ 2014-05-01 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Smith, Christopher - 0999 - MITLL
  Cc: Oliver Hartkopp, Adams, Shawn - 0999 - MITLL, linux-can,
	Kvaser Support (support@kvaser.com)

Hi Christopher,

On Thu, May 01, 2014 at 01:46:25PM -0400, Smith, Christopher - 0999 - MITLL wrote:
> Oliver, thank you for taking a look at this.  I'm guessing that other
> testing you did used that same USB command and did not have any problem?  If
> so perhaps it's an issue of firmware on our device or perhaps a slightly
> different version of hardware.  The device is the Kvaser Memorator with
> firmware 2.2.600.

I just plugged a Kvaser Memorator Professionnal and don't see any probe
error. My device is running firmware v2.0.50.

> > root@localhost:~# lsusb
> > Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bfd:0017 Kvaser AB
>
> Looks like a
> #define USB_LEAF_PRO_LIN_PRODUCT_ID	17
>
> > root@localhost:~# dmesg |grep -i can
> > [    4.231784] CAN device driver interface
> > [    5.233369] kvaser_usb 1-1:1.0: Cannot get software infos, error -110

A probe problem has been fixed for this hardware. See the following commit
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=a90f13b24fb40d02d11496cce6a10ae8d4b319b2
This problem is present in version 3.8.
The patch has been included in linux 3.12 and backported in stable branches
of v3.10 and v3.11. So please upgrade :-)

Let us know if it solves your problem.

Kind regards,

--
Olivier

@ 2014-05-03 13:18                 ` Olivier Sobrie
From: Olivier Sobrie @ 2014-05-03 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Smith, Christopher - 0999 - MITLL
  Cc: Oliver Hartkopp, Adams, Shawn - 0999 - MITLL, linux-can,

On Fri, May 02, 2014 at 10:19:02AM -0400, Smith, Christopher - 0999 - MITLL wrote:
> Sorry for the mix up to the Olivers.  I should have paid closer attention!
> The only thing I can figure at this point is something about the new
> firmware breaks the driver.  We've tried on a few machines and get the same
> error.  I also upgraded to device firmware 3.2.302 and see the same thing.
> I'm not sure how to downgrade the firmware as kvaser doesn't post those
> binaries.
>
> As for the kernel version, we're running 3.12.0 so I believe you're saying
> that does include the fix?

Yes this version includes the fix.

Is it possible for you to take a wireshark capture on the usb bus when
the probing of the device is made by the kvaser_usb driver?
Can you also check if the device is correclty probed by the Kvaser leaf
driver, i.e. the one you can find on the kvaser website?

Olivier

* Re: (Case 14420) Kvaser socketCAN support
@ 2014-05-04  6:00                   ` Kvaser Support
From: Kvaser Support @ 2014-05-04  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Sobrie
  Cc: Oliver Hartkopp, Adams, Shawn - 0999 - MITLL, linux-can, Smith,
	Christopher - 0999 - MITLL

Hi guys,

Some, but not all, versions of older firmware are available on the download page of the website, just click the Older versions link on the specific download. If you need another version than available, just let me know and I'll post it.

Best regards
Jerry Thorsén
Kvaser Support
support@kvaser.com

@ 2014-05-04 20:14                     ` Olivier Sobrie
From: Olivier Sobrie @ 2014-05-04 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kvaser Support
  Cc: Oliver Hartkopp, Adams, Shawn - 0999 - MITLL, linux-can, Smith,
	Christopher - 0999 - MITLL

Hi Jerry,

On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 08:00:57AM +0200, Kvaser Support wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Some, but not all, versions of older firmware are available on the download page of the website, just click the Older versions link on the specific download. If you need another version than available, just let me know and I'll post it.

Ok thanks.
I assume it is still not possible to upgrade the firmware from a Linux
machine?

Kr,

@ 2014-05-04 21:23                       ` Kvaser Support
From: Kvaser Support @ 2014-05-04 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Sobrie
  Cc: Oliver Hartkopp, Adams, Shawn - 0999 - MITLL, linux-can, Smith,
	Christopher - 0999 - MITLL

Correct.  You will need to use a Windows machine to perform the firmware upgrade.

Best regards,

Troy
--
Kvaser Support
support@kvaser.com

@ 2014-05-11 20:34                 ` Olivier Sobrie
From: Olivier Sobrie @ 2014-05-11 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Smith, Christopher - 0999 - MITLL
  Cc: Oliver Hartkopp, Adams, Shawn - 0999 - MITLL, linux-can,
	Kvaser Support (support@kvaser.com)

Hello Christopher,

On 2 May 2014 16:19, Smith, Christopher - 0999 - MITLL
<chris.smith@ll.mit.edu> wrote:
> Sorry for the mix up to the Olivers.  I should have paid closer attention!
> The only thing I can figure at this point is something about the new
> firmware breaks the driver.  We've tried on a few machines and get the same
> error.  I also upgraded to device firmware 3.2.302 and see the same thing.
> I'm not sure how to downgrade the firmware as kvaser doesn't post those
> binaries.
>
> As for the kernel version, we're running 3.12.0 so I believe you're saying
> that does include the fix?

I found a Windows PC and upgraded the firmware of my kvaser Memorator
Professional. I just did a test with firmware 3.2.302 on linux v3.13. and didn't
see any problem in the probe function...
[554511.827130] usb 2-2: new high-speed USB device number 8 using ehci-pci
[554511.942497] usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0bfd, idProduct=0017
[554511.942502] usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=2,
SerialNumber=0
[554511.942505] usb 2-2: Product: Kvaser Memorator Professional
[554511.947739] kvaser_usb 2-2:1.0: Firmware version: 3.2.302
[554511.954752] kvaser_usb 2-2:1.0 can0: device registered
[554511.971808] kvaser_usb 2-2:1.0 can1: device registered

Let me know if you still have an issue.
If so, try to take a wireshark capture.

Kind regards,

--
Olivier

* Re: (Case 14383) SocketCAN Supported Controllers information updates
@ 2014-06-05  7:18 Kvaser Support
From: Kvaser Support @ 2014-06-05  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Hartkopp
  Cc: Yegor Yefremov, Marc Kleine-Budde, linux-can, Olivier Sobrie

We have added the following FAQ to our website to point customers to you website for SocketCAN information:

http://www.kvaser.com/faq/linux-can-use-socketcan-kvaser-interface/

Best regards,

Troy
--