* [ath9k-devel] nl80211/mac80211 packet injection
@ 2012-02-29  8:44 Cheung Hiu Fung
From: Cheung Hiu Fung @ 2012-02-29  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi all,

  May I ask are nl80211 and mac80211 packet injection the same thing? Does
the packet injection must be done in monitor mode? or Can I do a packet
relay for a 3 node linear ad-hoc network with bilateral transmission? It
is hard to search the information from Internet as mac80211 packet
injection seems not so popular. Thanks so much.

Regards,
Jay

* [ath9k-devel] nl80211/mac80211 packet injection
@ 2012-02-29 17:59 ` Peter Stuge
From: Peter Stuge @ 2012-02-29 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi Jay,

Cheung Hiu Fung wrote:
> May I ask are nl80211 and mac80211 packet injection the same thing?
> Does the packet injection must be done in monitor mode? or
> Can I do a packet relay for a 3 node linear ad-hoc network with
> bilateral transmission?

> It is hard to search the information from Internet as mac80211
> packet injection seems not so popular. Thanks so much.

I believe you will have to study the mac80211 source code to find
your answers. Your questions are good, but I believe they will not
be answered here. You can try the linux-wireless mailing list
instead, I think it will reach more people who may know the answer,
but I would still recommend to study the source code and find the
answers yourself, so that they are really reliable.

//Peter

* [ath9k-devel] nl80211/mac80211 packet injection
@ 2012-02-29 20:49 ` abhinav narain
From: abhinav narain @ 2012-02-29 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 3:44 AM, Cheung Hiu Fung <phjay@ust.hk> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  May I ask are nl80211 and mac80211 packet injection the same thing? Does
> the packet injection must be done in monitor mode? or Can I do a packet
> relay for a 3 node linear ad-hoc network with bilateral transmission? It
> is hard to search the information from Internet as mac80211 packet
> injection seems not so popular. Thanks so much.
>
> hi,

nl80211 is an protocol for communicating with the kernel.
mac80211 is a subsystem handling just the wireless interface.
You can use nl80211 api functions to talk to mac80211 and send some data.

I haven't done packet injection, but the usual packet injection tools work
in the monitor interface.

Abhinav Narain