* compat-wireless-2014-05-22 breaks ath10k in an Archer C7 v2
@ 2014-05-28 18:35 Andy Lutomirski
From: Andy Lutomirski @ 2014-05-28 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Wireless List

It dies with 'otp calibration failed: 2'.

Some older version of the driver seemed to work fine.

--Andy

* Re: compat-wireless-2014-05-22 breaks ath10k in an Archer C7 v2
@ 2014-05-29  7:48   ` Michal Kazior
From: Michal Kazior @ 2014-05-29  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Lutomirski; +Cc: Linux Wireless List, ath10k

+ath10k@lists.infradead.org

On 28 May 2014 20:35, Andy Lutomirski <luto@amacapital.net> wrote:
> It dies with 'otp calibration failed: 2'.
>
> Some older version of the driver seemed to work fine.

ath10k did not verify otp result before so it could load successfully
despite errors.

Someone raised this problem yesterday on IRC. I'm not really sure how
we should deal with this properly.

Michał

From: Michal Kazior @ 2014-05-29  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Lutomirski; +Cc: Linux Wireless List, ath10k

@ 2014-05-29 17:52     ` Andy Lutomirski
From: Andy Lutomirski @ 2014-05-29 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Kazior; +Cc: Linux Wireless List, ath10k

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 12:48 AM, Michal Kazior <michal.kazior@tieto.com> wrote:
> +ath10k@lists.infradead.org
>
> On 28 May 2014 20:35, Andy Lutomirski <luto@amacapital.net> wrote:
>> It dies with 'otp calibration failed: 2'.
>>
>> Some older version of the driver seemed to work fine.
>
> ath10k did not verify otp result before so it could load successfully
> despite errors.
>
> Someone raised this problem yesterday on IRC. I'm not really sure how
> we should deal with this properly.

Ideally, someone from Atheros could figure out what the error is.
Barring that, the card seems to work okay without otp (I don't even
know what otp is), so just warning and continuing to load might be
better than bailing.

From: Andy Lutomirski @ 2014-05-29 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Kazior; +Cc: Linux Wireless List, ath10k

@ 2014-06-05 10:26       ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2014-06-05 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Lutomirski; +Cc: Michal Kazior, Linux Wireless List, ath10k

Andy Lutomirski <luto@amacapital.net> writes:

> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 12:48 AM, Michal Kazior <michal.kazior@tieto.com> wrote:
>> +ath10k@lists.infradead.org
>>
>> On 28 May 2014 20:35, Andy Lutomirski <luto@amacapital.net> wrote:
>>> It dies with 'otp calibration failed: 2'.
>>>
>>> Some older version of the driver seemed to work fine.
>>
>> ath10k did not verify otp result before so it could load successfully
>> despite errors.
>>
>> Someone raised this problem yesterday on IRC. I'm not really sure how
>> we should deal with this properly.
>
> Ideally, someone from Atheros could figure out what the error is.

Michal already did. The error means that for some reason the
calibaration data was not found from OTP. OTP is the storage area where
the calibration data is normally stored within QCA9880.

> Barring that, the card seems to work okay without otp (I don't even
> know what otp is), so just warning and continuing to load might be
> better than bailing.

This means that your card is not properly calibrated and it doesn't
function in an optimal way (for example range or throughput is less than
what it could be).

Do you see that with all Archer C7 v2 devices or with just one? One
possibility is that the calibration data is actually stored outside of
QCA9880 board, for example in the host flash or similar. I don't have
that AP, can someone else see where the calibration data is stored?

I know that ath9k supports this kind of setup, most likely ath10k should
as well.

--
Kalle Valo

From: Kalle Valo @ 2014-06-05 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Lutomirski; +Cc: Linux Wireless List, Michal Kazior, ath10k

Andy Lutomirski <luto@amacapital.net> writes:

> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 12:48 AM, Michal Kazior <michal.kazior@tieto.com> wrote:
>> +ath10k@lists.infradead.org
>>
>> On 28 May 2014 20:35, Andy Lutomirski <luto@amacapital.net> wrote:
>>> It dies with 'otp calibration failed: 2'.
>>>
>>> Some older version of the driver seemed to work fine.
>>
>> ath10k did not verify otp result before so it could load successfully
>> despite errors.
>>
>> Someone raised this problem yesterday on IRC. I'm not really sure how
>> we should deal with this properly.
>
> Ideally, someone from Atheros could figure out what the error is.

Michal already did. The error means that for some reason the
calibaration data was not found from OTP. OTP is the storage area where
the calibration data is normally stored within QCA9880.

> Barring that, the card seems to work okay without otp (I don't even
> know what otp is), so just warning and continuing to load might be
> better than bailing.

This means that your card is not properly calibrated and it doesn't
function in an optimal way (for example range or throughput is less than
what it could be).

Do you see that with all Archer C7 v2 devices or with just one? One
possibility is that the calibration data is actually stored outside of
QCA9880 board, for example in the host flash or similar. I don't have
that AP, can someone else see where the calibration data is stored?

I know that ath9k supports this kind of setup, most likely ath10k should
as well.

--
Kalle Valo

* Re: compat-wireless-2014-05-22 breaks ath10k in an Archer C7 v2
  (?)
  (?)
@ 2014-06-05 11:15   ` Sven Schnelle
From: Sven Schnelle @ 2014-06-05 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath10k

On 05/29/2014 09:48 AM, Michal Kazior wrote:
> +ath10k@lists.infradead.org
>
> On 28 May 2014 20:35, Andy Lutomirski <luto@amacapital.net> wrote:
>> It dies with 'otp calibration failed: 2'.
>>
>> Some older version of the driver seemed to work fine.
> ath10k did not verify otp result before so it could load successfully
> despite errors.
>
> Someone raised this problem yesterday on IRC. I'm not really sure how
> we should deal with this properly.

I see the following output on the firmware console:

otp main...
Table initialized..
streamCnt 0
Golden Bin/fake Board Template used ...
otp done...
assertion failed? pc=0x948f19, line=5555, dump area=0x40ad04
Target ID: 0x4100016c (1090519404)
Debug Info:
0x4100016c 0x000015b3 0x00948f19 0x00955b31
0x00948f19 0x00060530 0x00000004 0x00000000
0x00000000 0x004045f0 0x00404610 0x00955a00
0x0000

However, the AP where OTP now fails is an engineering sample,
and probably doesn't contain any valid calibration. It did work
in the past, but with the latest ath10k the driver doesn't load
because of OTP failing. So maybe that output is helpful here.

* Re: compat-wireless-2014-05-22 breaks ath10k in an Archer C7 v2
@ 2014-06-05 11:36     ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2014-06-05 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Schnelle; +Cc: ath10k

Sven Schnelle <svens@stackframe.org> writes:

> On 05/29/2014 09:48 AM, Michal Kazior wrote:
>> +ath10k@lists.infradead.org
>>
>> On 28 May 2014 20:35, Andy Lutomirski <luto@amacapital.net> wrote:
>>> It dies with 'otp calibration failed: 2'.
>>>
>>> Some older version of the driver seemed to work fine.
>> ath10k did not verify otp result before so it could load successfully
>> despite errors.
>>
>> Someone raised this problem yesterday on IRC. I'm not really sure how
>> we should deal with this properly.

> I see the following output on the firmware console:
>
> otp main...
> Table initialized..
> streamCnt 0
> Golden Bin/fake Board Template used ...
> otp done...
> assertion failed? pc=0x948f19, line=5555, dump area=0x40ad04
> Target ID: 0x4100016c (1090519404)
> Debug Info:
> 0x4100016c 0x000015b3 0x00948f19 0x00955b31
> 0x00948f19 0x00060530 0x00000004 0x00000000
> 0x00000000 0x004045f0 0x00404610 0x00955a00
> 0x0000
>
> However, the AP where OTP now fails is an engineering sample,
> and probably doesn't contain any valid calibration. It did work
> in the past, but with the latest ath10k the driver doesn't load
> because of OTP failing. So maybe that output is helpful here.

What we could do is add 'skip_otp' (or similar) module parameter,
otp.bin is not run and then you just get the default calibration data.

--
Kalle Valo

* Re: compat-wireless-2014-05-22 breaks ath10k in an Archer C7 v2
@ 2014-06-05 11:49       ` Sven Schnelle
From: Sven Schnelle @ 2014-06-05 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: ath10k

Hi Kalle,

On 06/05/2014 01:36 PM, Kalle Valo wrote:
> Sven Schnelle <svens@stackframe.org> writes:
>
>> On 05/29/2014 09:48 AM, Michal Kazior wrote:
>>> +ath10k@lists.infradead.org

>>> ath10k did not verify otp result before so it could load successfully
>>> despite errors.
>>>
>>> Someone raised this problem yesterday on IRC. I'm not really sure how
>>> we should deal with this properly.

>> I see the following output on the firmware console:
>>
>> otp main...
>> Table initialized..
>> streamCnt 0
>> Golden Bin/fake Board Template used ...
>> otp done...
>> assertion failed? pc=0x948f19, line=5555, dump area=0x40ad04
>> Target ID: 0x4100016c (1090519404)
>> Debug Info:
>> 0x4100016c 0x000015b3 0x00948f19 0x00955b31
>> 0x00948f19 0x00060530 0x00000004 0x00000000
>> 0x00000000 0x004045f0 0x00404610 0x00955a00
>> 0x0000
>>
>> However, the AP where OTP now fails is an engineering sample,
>> and probably doesn't contain any valid calibration. It did work
>> in the past, but with the latest ath10k the driver doesn't load
>> because of OTP failing. So maybe that output is helpful here.
> What we could do is add 'skip_otp' (or similar) module parameter,
> otp.bin is not run and then you just get the default calibration data.

Looking at the backtrace, can you tell whether the calibration data is
really
the issue? I tried now with the firmware-2.bin and board.bin files from
https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware/ath10k/QCA988X/hw2.0/ and
i'm getting the same error.

Regards
Sven

* Re: compat-wireless-2014-05-22 breaks ath10k in an Archer C7 v2
@ 2014-06-05 12:20         ` Michal Kazior
From: Michal Kazior @ 2014-06-05 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Schnelle; +Cc: Kalle Valo, ath10k

On 5 June 2014 13:49, Sven Schnelle <svens@stackframe.org> wrote:
> On 06/05/2014 01:36 PM, Kalle Valo wrote:
>> Sven Schnelle <svens@stackframe.org> writes:
[...]
>>> I see the following output on the firmware console:
>>>
>>> otp main...
>>> Table initialized..
>>> streamCnt 0
>>> Golden Bin/fake Board Template used ...
>>> otp done...
>>> assertion failed? pc=0x948f19, line=5555, dump area=0x40ad04
>>> Target ID: 0x4100016c (1090519404)
>>> Debug Info:
>>> 0x4100016c 0x000015b3 0x00948f19 0x00955b31
>>> 0x00948f19 0x00060530 0x00000004 0x00000000
>>> 0x00000000 0x004045f0 0x00404610 0x00955a00
>>> 0x0000
>>>
>>> However, the AP where OTP now fails is an engineering sample,
>>> and probably doesn't contain any valid calibration. It did work
>>> in the past, but with the latest ath10k the driver doesn't load
>>> because of OTP failing. So maybe that output is helpful here.
>>
>> What we could do is add 'skip_otp' (or similar) module parameter,
>> otp.bin is not run and then you just get the default calibration data.
>>
> Looking at the backtrace, can you tell whether the calibration data is
> really
> the issue? I tried now with the firmware-2.bin and board.bin files from
> https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware/ath10k/QCA988X/hw2.0/ and
> i'm getting the same error.

This seems to confirm otp fails to load with error code 2.

The assert stack trace points to copy engine in ROM image. Wierd.

Anyway, I've extracted firmware files from TP-Link Archer C7 original
rootfs. Can you give it a try, please? See the OpenWRT ticket:

  https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/16589

Michał

* Re: compat-wireless-2014-05-22 breaks ath10k in an Archer C7 v2
@ 2014-06-05 16:04         ` Andy Lutomirski
From: Andy Lutomirski @ 2014-06-05 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: Michal Kazior, Linux Wireless List, ath10k

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 3:26 AM, Kalle Valo <kvalo@qca.qualcomm.com> wrote:
> Andy Lutomirski <luto@amacapital.net> writes:
>
>> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 12:48 AM, Michal Kazior <michal.kazior@tieto.com> wrote:
>>> +ath10k@lists.infradead.org

>>> ath10k did not verify otp result before so it could load successfully
>>> despite errors.
>>>
>>> Someone raised this problem yesterday on IRC. I'm not really sure how
>>> we should deal with this properly.
>>
>> Ideally, someone from Atheros could figure out what the error is.
>
> Michal already did. The error means that for some reason the
> calibaration data was not found from OTP. OTP is the storage area where
> the calibration data is normally stored within QCA9880.

Ah -- I misunderstood.  I assumed that the OTP read was failing
mysteriously and that expert input was needed to resolve that mystery
:)

>> Barring that, the card seems to work okay without otp (I don't even
>> know what otp is), so just warning and continuing to load might be
>> better than bailing.
>
> This means that your card is not properly calibrated and it doesn't
> function in an optimal way (for example range or throughput is less than
> what it could be).
>
> Do you see that with all Archer C7 v2 devices or with just one? One
> possibility is that the calibration data is actually stored outside of
> QCA9880 board, for example in the host flash or similar. I don't have
> that AP, can someone else see where the calibration data is stored?

I only have one of these.  I put a likely looking directory of the GPL
sources here:

http://web.mit.edu/luto/www/archerc7_gpl/atheros/

I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for, but this might be it:

http://web.mit.edu/luto/www/archerc7_gpl/atheros/otp.c

I don't really know what I'm looking for, though.

From: Andy Lutomirski @ 2014-06-05 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: Linux Wireless List, Michal Kazior, ath10k

@ 2014-06-05 16:08         ` Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2014-06-05 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: Andy Lutomirski, Michal Kazior, Linux Wireless List, ath10k

On 06/05/2014 03:26 AM, Kalle Valo wrote:
> Andy Lutomirski <luto@amacapital.net> writes:
>
>> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 12:48 AM, Michal Kazior <michal.kazior@tieto.com> wrote:
>>> +ath10k@lists.infradead.org

>>> ath10k did not verify otp result before so it could load successfully
>>> despite errors.
>>>
>>> Someone raised this problem yesterday on IRC. I'm not really sure how
>>> we should deal with this properly.
>>
>> Ideally, someone from Atheros could figure out what the error is.
>
> Michal already did. The error means that for some reason the
> calibaration data was not found from OTP. OTP is the storage area where
> the calibration data is normally stored within QCA9880.

I fought this with .387 firmware and WLE900VX NICs.  If it's a common
problem with more than a single NIC (ie, not just a bad piece of
hardware), then one could load my firmware and my ath10k patches.

I have a way to effectively get text debug messages out of the
OTP firmware code and can probably debug this (eventually...busy
with other things currently).

If you know the basic hardware architecture of the NIC, then you can at least
make a better guess of the calibration data and choose an eeprom
table that is a better match than just total failure of OTP.

>> Barring that, the card seems to work okay without otp (I don't even
>> know what otp is), so just warning and continuing to load might be
>> better than bailing.
>
> This means that your card is not properly calibrated and it doesn't
> function in an optimal way (for example range or throughput is less than
> what it could be).

And, your MAC address will be wrong and identical to all other devices of this
type, which means the second one of these NICs
on your network will make everything go to hell.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>

From: Ben Greear @ 2014-06-05 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: Linux Wireless List, Michal Kazior, ath10k, Andy Lutomirski

@ 2014-06-05 16:23           ` Andy Lutomirski
From: Andy Lutomirski @ 2014-06-05 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Greear; +Cc: Kalle Valo, Michal Kazior, Linux Wireless List, ath10k

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 9:08 AM, Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> wrote:
> On 06/05/2014 03:26 AM, Kalle Valo wrote:
>> Andy Lutomirski <luto@amacapital.net> writes:

>>> Ideally, someone from Atheros could figure out what the error is.
>>
>> Michal already did. The error means that for some reason the
>> calibaration data was not found from OTP. OTP is the storage area where
>> the calibration data is normally stored within QCA9880.
>
> I fought this with .387 firmware and WLE900VX NICs.  If it's a common
> problem with more than a single NIC (ie, not just a bad piece of
> hardware), then one could load my firmware and my ath10k patches.

No clue.  I can buy another one of these things to find out, though,
if that would help.

> I have a way to effectively get text debug messages out of the
> OTP firmware code and can probably debug this (eventually...busy
> with other things currently).

Is this something you can send me?  If not, and if you have time, I'd
be happy to mail you your very own Archer C7 v2.

OTOH, if this is likely to be it, then it might be a decent thing to play with:

http://web.mit.edu/luto/www/archerc7_gpl/atheros/otp.c

This hardware has two Atheros WLANs: a platform device ath9k and a
minipcie ath10k.  Would ath9k also have something called 'OTP'?

> If you know the basic hardware architecture of the NIC, then you can at least
> make a better guess of the calibration data and choose an eeprom
> table that is a better match than just total failure of OTP.

I don't even know what that means. :(

>>> Barring that, the card seems to work okay without otp (I don't even
>>> know what otp is), so just warning and continuing to load might be
>>> better than bailing.
>>
>> This means that your card is not properly calibrated and it doesn't
>> function in an optimal way (for example range or throughput is less than
>> what it could be).
>
> And, your MAC address will be wrong and identical to all other devices of this
> type, which means the second one of these NICs
> on your network will make everything go to hell.

Heh.  I'm already overriding the MAC address with a locally administered one.

> Thanks,
> Ben
>
> --
> Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>

Andy Lutomirski
AMA Capital Management, LLC

From: Andy Lutomirski @ 2014-06-05 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Greear; +Cc: Kalle Valo, Linux Wireless List, Michal Kazior, ath10k

@ 2014-06-06  6:39           ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2014-06-06  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Greear; +Cc: Andy Lutomirski, Michal Kazior, Linux Wireless List, ath10k

Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> writes:

>> Michal already did. The error means that for some reason the
>> calibaration data was not found from OTP. OTP is the storage area where
>> the calibration data is normally stored within QCA9880.
>
> I fought this with .387 firmware and WLE900VX NICs.  If it's a common
> problem with more than a single NIC (ie, not just a bad piece of
> hardware), then one could load my firmware and my ath10k patches.

That's XB143, right? I think that's different as firmware started to
support XB143 only starting from 10.1.467.

--
Kalle Valo

From: Kalle Valo @ 2014-06-06  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Greear; +Cc: Linux Wireless List, Michal Kazior, ath10k, Andy Lutomirski

Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> writes:

>> Michal already did. The error means that for some reason the
>> calibaration data was not found from OTP. OTP is the storage area where
>> the calibration data is normally stored within QCA9880.
>
> I fought this with .387 firmware and WLE900VX NICs.  If it's a common
> problem with more than a single NIC (ie, not just a bad piece of
> hardware), then one could load my firmware and my ath10k patches.

That's XB143, right? I think that's different as firmware started to
support XB143 only starting from 10.1.467.

--
Kalle Valo

* Re: Re: compat-wireless-2014-05-22 breaks ath10k in an Archer C7 v2
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
  (?)
@ 2014-06-06  8:59       ` Matti Laakso
From: Matti Laakso @ 2014-06-06  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath10k

> />>>/ It dies with 'otp calibration failed: 2'.
> />>>/
> />>>/ Some older version of the driver seemed to work fine.
> />>/
> />>/ ath10k did not verify otp result before so it could load successfully
> />>/ despite errors.
> />>/
> />>/ Someone raised this problem yesterday on IRC. I'm not really sure how
> />>/ we should deal with this properly.
> />/
> />/ Ideally, someone from Atheros could figure out what the error is.
> /
> Michal already did. The error means that for some reason the
> calibaration data was not found from OTP. OTP is the storage area where
> the calibration data is normally stored within QCA9880.
>
> >/ Barring that, the card seems to work okay without otp (I don't even
> />/ know what otp is), so just warning and continuing to load might be
> />/ better than bailing.
> /
> This means that your card is not properly calibrated and it doesn't
> function in an optimal way (for example range or throughput is less than
> what it could be).
>
> Do you see that with all Archer C7 v2 devices or with just one? One
> possibility is that the calibration data is actually stored outside of
> QCA9880 board, for example in the host flash or similar. I don't have
> that AP, can someone else see where the calibration data is stored?
>
> I know that ath9k supports this kind of setup, most likely ath10k should
> as well.
>
> --
> Kalle Valo

C7 v1 has the AR9550 calibration data in flash in the last 64 kiB,
likely C7 v2 as well. Could someone with v2 and OpenWrt use dd to dump
the contents of the "art" partition (/dev/mtdblock4 IIRC) and upload it
somewhere? I think it would be easy to see whether there is just the
calibration data for AR9550 or if there is also data for QCA9880.

Matti

* Re: compat-wireless-2014-05-22 breaks ath10k in an Archer C7 v2
@ 2014-06-06  9:09         ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2014-06-06  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matti Laakso; +Cc: ath10k

Moro,

Matti Laakso <malaakso@elisanet.fi> writes:

>> Do you see that with all Archer C7 v2 devices or with just one? One
>> possibility is that the calibration data is actually stored outside of
>> QCA9880 board, for example in the host flash or similar. I don't have
>> that AP, can someone else see where the calibration data is stored?
>>
>> I know that ath9k supports this kind of setup, most likely ath10k should
>> as well.
>
> C7 v1 has the AR9550 calibration data in flash in the last 64 kiB,
> likely C7 v2 as well.

Ok, then the chances are that QCA9880 calibration data is stored in the
flash as well.

> Could someone with v2 and OpenWrt use dd to dump the contents of the
> "art" partition (/dev/mtdblock4 IIRC) and upload it somewhere? I think
> it would be easy to see whether there is just the calibration data for
> AR9550 or if there is also data for QCA9880.

Good idea.

--
Kalle Valo

* Re: compat-wireless-2014-05-22 breaks ath10k in an Archer C7 v2
@ 2014-06-06 16:05             ` Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2014-06-06 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: Andy Lutomirski, Michal Kazior, Linux Wireless List, ath10k

On 06/05/2014 11:39 PM, Kalle Valo wrote:
> Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> writes:
>
>>> Michal already did. The error means that for some reason the
>>> calibaration data was not found from OTP. OTP is the storage area where
>>> the calibration data is normally stored within QCA9880.
>>
>> I fought this with .387 firmware and WLE900VX NICs.  If it's a common
>> problem with more than a single NIC (ie, not just a bad piece of
>> hardware), then one could load my firmware and my ath10k patches.
>
> That's XB143, right? I think that's different as firmware started to
> support XB143 only starting from 10.1.467.

Yes.  My point is that I have the ability to get debug info out of
of the otp in my modified firmware, so it is possible to debug why
the otp is failing in the first place, and possibly fix otp to work
with that NIC.

I'll start begging to get my CT firmware support in upstream kernels
as soon as we get the firmware-crash stuff ironed out :)

Thanks,
Ben

From: Ben Greear @ 2014-06-06 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: Linux Wireless List, Michal Kazior, ath10k, Andy Lutomirski

@ 2014-06-06 23:31           ` Kamal Koshy
From: Kamal Koshy @ 2014-06-06 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath10k

Attaching the result of dd if=/dev/mtd4 > ~/mtd4

Is there any documentation on the the format of calibration data ?

[-- Attachment #2: mtd4 --]

* Re: compat-wireless-2014-05-22 breaks ath10k in an Archer C7 v2
@ 2014-06-07  5:36             ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2014-06-07  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kamal Koshy; +Cc: ath10k

Kamal Koshy <kamal.koshy@gmail.com> writes:

> Attaching the result of dd if=/dev/mtd4 > ~/mtd4

Thanks, I'll take a look at that later. But before that, do you know
what's the mac address of the QCA9880 device with the proprietary
driver? (_not_ with ath10k) That would help searching for the
calibration data.

--
Kalle Valo

* Re: compat-wireless-2014-05-22 breaks ath10k in an Archer C7 v2
@ 2014-06-07  6:11               ` Sven Schnelle
From: Sven Schnelle @ 2014-06-07  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath10k

Hi Kalle,

Am 07.06.2014 07:36, schrieb Kalle Valo:
> Kamal Koshy <kamal.koshy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Attaching the result of dd if=/dev/mtd4 > ~/mtd4
> Thanks, I'll take a look at that later. But before that, do you know
> what's the mac address of the QCA9880 device with the proprietary
> driver? (_not_ with ath10k) That would help searching for the
> calibration data.

To me it looks like ath9k calibration data starts at 0x1000, and ath10k
calibration data
starts at 0x5000 in that mtd image. That's the same as on my board.

Sven

* Re: compat-wireless-2014-05-22 breaks ath10k in an Archer C7 v2
@ 2014-06-07 20:37           ` Sven Schnelle
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Sven Schnelle @ 2014-06-07 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Kazior; +Cc: ath10k

Hi Michal,

Am 05.06.2014 14:20, schrieb Michal Kazior:
> This seems to confirm otp fails to load with error code 2. The assert
> stack trace points to copy engine in ROM image. Wierd. Anyway, I've
> extracted firmware files from TP-Link Archer C7 original rootfs. Can
> you give it a try, please? See the OpenWRT ticket:
> https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/16589

i tried, but the result doesn't look better:

[    9.640000] ath10k: pci irq legacy irq_mode 0 reset_mode 0
[    9.730000] ath10k: otp calibration failed: 2
[   10.540000] ath10k: UART prints enabled
[   10.600000] ath10k: qca988x hw2.0 (0x4100016c, 0x043202ff) fw
10.1.467-tplink-a-c7 api 2 htt 2.1

I removed the error return in ath10k, that's why the firmware starts
even with the otp error. I don't see the Assertion failure with this otp
firmware:

CLI>build_version=0x11, rom_version=0x41020000, ram_version=0x11,
stack_size=6348
reset reason=0x5

Image startup of Normal mode
Mac address is : 00:03:7f:4f:00:16
alloc rem: 197492
**WMI Service Ready **
NUM_DEV=16
TGT_VER: 4100016C
RegDomain: 0, CfgCtl: 224 - 224
ar_wal_peer_attach: num_peer_entries 145, num_tid_entries 443
allocated 64 tids at 0x439a28 (each 96 bytes)
allocated 379 tids in IRAM at 0x9baf34 (each 96 bytes)
allocated 64 stateless tids at 0x43b250 (each 40 bytes)
### turn on Tx completion index tracking ###
**WMI Ready **

Just to be sure, here are the md5sums of the firmware files i'm using:

root@OpenWrt:/# md5sum /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA988X/hw2.0/*
710fb9b582eda3d23728dee757d9ff85
/lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA988X/hw2.0/board.bin
13385cef5d83c3fa96dfaaeb69c155d9
/lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA988X/hw2.0/firmware-2.bin
3c2251c94974367c170e90030ca04f99 /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA988X/hw2.0/utf.bin

Sven

* Re: compat-wireless-2014-05-22 breaks ath10k in an Archer C7 v2
@ 2014-06-07 20:41             ` Sven Schnelle
From: Sven Schnelle @ 2014-06-07 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath10k

Am 07.06.2014 22:37, schrieb Sven Schnelle:

> Just to be sure, here are the md5sums of the firmware files i'm using:
> [...]
Crap, pasted the wrong output. The firmware/kernel log was generated
with these files:

@ 2014-06-08  5:59               ` Kamal Koshy
From: Kamal Koshy @ 2014-06-08  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath10k

The MAC address of the devices (for the calibration data) are as follows

1. 2.4 GHz radio - E8-94-F6-91-3B-53
2. 5 GHz radio - E8-94-F6-91-3B-52

This is with the original TPLink firmware.
Thanks
Kamal

@ 2014-06-08 11:52                 ` Matti Laakso
From: Matti Laakso @ 2014-06-08 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath10k

> />/
> />>/ Attaching the result of dd if=/dev/mtd4 > ~/mtd4
> />/ Thanks, I'll take a look at that later. But before that, do you know
> />/ what's the mac address of the QCA9880 device with the proprietary
> />/ driver? (_not_ with ath10k) That would help searching for the
> />/ calibration data.
> />/
> /To me it looks like ath9k calibration data starts at 0x1000, and ath10k
> calibration data
> starts at 0x5000 in that mtd image. That's the same as on my board.
>
> Sven

Yeah, that's definitely the case.

I think we need something like this for ath10k:

https://github.com/kvalo/ath/blob/master/include/linux/ath9k_platform.h

which we can then populate in the mach-file.

Matti

* Re: compat-wireless-2014-05-22 breaks ath10k in an Archer C7 v2
@ 2014-06-09  5:07                 ` Michal Kazior
From: Michal Kazior @ 2014-06-09  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Schnelle; +Cc: ath10k

On 7 June 2014 08:11, Sven Schnelle <svens@stackframe.org> wrote:
> Hi Kalle,
>
> Am 07.06.2014 07:36, schrieb Kalle Valo:
>
>> Kamal Koshy <kamal.koshy@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Attaching the result of dd if=/dev/mtd4 > ~/mtd4
>>
>> Thanks, I'll take a look at that later. But before that, do you know
>> what's the mac address of the QCA9880 device with the proprietary
>> driver? (_not_ with ath10k) That would help searching for the
>> calibration data.
>>
> To me it looks like ath9k calibration data starts at 0x1000, and ath10k
> calibration data
> starts at 0x5000 in that mtd image. That's the same as on my board.

The data looks very similar to board.bin (2116 bytes and familiar hex
patterns). Can anyone replacing using it as the

@ 2014-06-09  5:40             ` Michal Kazior
From: Michal Kazior @ 2014-06-09  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Schnelle; +Cc: ath10k

On 7 June 2014 22:37, Sven Schnelle <svens@stackframe.org> wrote:
> Hi Michal,
>
> Am 05.06.2014 14:20, schrieb Michal Kazior:
>
>> This seems to confirm otp fails to load with error code 2. The assert
>> stack trace points to copy engine in ROM image. Wierd. Anyway, I've
>> extracted firmware files from TP-Link Archer C7 original rootfs. Can you
>> give it a try, please? See the OpenWRT ticket:
>> https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/16589
>

> i tried, but the result doesn't look better:
>
> [    9.640000] ath10k: pci irq legacy irq_mode 0 reset_mode 0
> [    9.730000] ath10k: otp calibration failed: 2
> [   10.540000] ath10k: UART prints enabled
> [   10.600000] ath10k: qca988x hw2.0 (0x4100016c, 0x043202ff) fw
> 10.1.467-tplink-a-c7 api 2 htt 2.1
>
> I removed the error return in ath10k, that's why the firmware starts even
> with the otp error. I don't see the Assertion failure with this otp
> firmware:
>
> CLI>build_version=0x11, rom_version=0x41020000, ram_version=0x11,
> stack_size=6348
> reset reason=0x5
>
> Image startup of Normal mode
> Mac address is : 00:03:7f:4f:00:16
> alloc rem: 197492
> **WMI Service Ready **
> NUM_DEV=16
> TGT_VER: 4100016C
> RegDomain: 0, CfgCtl: 224 - 224
> ar_wal_peer_attach: num_peer_entries 145, num_tid_entries 443
> allocated 64 tids at 0x439a28 (each 96 bytes)
> allocated 379 tids in IRAM at 0x9baf34 (each 96 bytes)
> allocated 64 stateless tids at 0x43b250 (each 40 bytes)
> ### turn on Tx completion index tracking ###
> **WMI Ready **

Thanks for testing.

> Just to be sure, here are the md5sums of the firmware files i'm using:
>
> root@OpenWrt:/# md5sum /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA988X/hw2.0/*
> 710fb9b582eda3d23728dee757d9ff85
> /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA988X/hw2.0/board.bin

The attached board.bin in the ticket should be:

  419d73569cb0effc0a8b380f8e4dd197  board.bin

But it might be worth using the data found in mtd4 @ 0x5000-0x5844 as
board.bin (see my other mail) instead.

Michał

* Re: compat-wireless-2014-05-22 breaks ath10k in an Archer C7 v2
@ 2014-06-09  8:28                   ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2014-06-09  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matti Laakso; +Cc: ath10k

Matti Laakso <malaakso@elisanet.fi> writes:

>> />/
>> />>/ Attaching the result of dd if=/dev/mtd4 > ~/mtd4
>> />/ Thanks, I'll take a look at that later. But before that, do you know
>> />/ what's the mac address of the QCA9880 device with the proprietary
>> />/ driver? (_not_ with ath10k) That would help searching for the
>> />/ calibration data.
>> />/
>> /To me it looks like ath9k calibration data starts at 0x1000, and ath10k
>> calibration data
>> starts at 0x5000 in that mtd image. That's the same as on my board.
>>
>> Sven
>>

> Yeah, that's definitely the case.
>
> I think we need something like this for ath10k:
>
> https://github.com/kvalo/ath/blob/master/include/linux/ath9k_platform.h
>
> which we can then populate in the mach-file.

Yeah, we need that. But before that an ugly workaround is to do what
Michal suggests (copy the content to board.bin and skip otp.bin
execution in ath10k).

--
Kalle Valo

* Re: compat-wireless-2014-05-22 breaks ath10k in an Archer C7 v2
@ 2014-06-09 14:39                     ` Kamal Koshy
From: Kamal Koshy @ 2014-06-09 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath10k

Michal, Kalle
I tried with the board file extracted from 0x5800-0x5843 (MD5 sum
0a0a9104555f857285b82b7f62b98440). This does not make a difference.
However, did not skip the OTP file, since I did not know how to do it. I
can try skipping the OTP file, if I can get the procedure.
Kamal

@ 2014-06-09 20:01                   ` Sven Schnelle
From: Sven Schnelle @ 2014-06-09 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Kazior; +Cc: ath10k

Am 09.06.2014 07:07, schrieb Michal Kazior:
> On 7 June 2014 08:11, Sven Schnelle <svens@stackframe.org> wrote:
>> Hi Kalle,

>>> Thanks, I'll take a look at that later. But before that, do you know
>>> what's the mac address of the QCA9880 device with the proprietary
>>> driver? (_not_ with ath10k) That would help searching for the
>>> calibration data.
>>>
>> To me it looks like ath9k calibration data starts at 0x1000, and ath10k
>> calibration data
>> starts at 0x5000 in that mtd image. That's the same as on my board.
> The data looks very similar to board.bin (2116 bytes and familiar hex
> patterns). Can anyone replacing using it as the
> /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA988X/hw2.0/board.bin?

Doesn't make a difference. The flash layout is the same on my
engineering sample,
and i've extracted board.bin from the flash layout. Can anyone explain
how OTP
works? It looks to me like otp is only run if calibration data in flash
is invalid in the
proprietary driver.

Thanks
Sven

* Re: compat-wireless-2014-05-22 breaks ath10k in an Archer C7 v2
@ 2014-06-12 12:57             ` Michal Kazior
From: Michal Kazior @ 2014-06-12 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Schnelle; +Cc: ath10k

On 7 June 2014 22:37, Sven Schnelle <svens@stackframe.org> wrote:
> Hi Michal,
>
> Am 05.06.2014 14:20, schrieb Michal Kazior:
>
>> This seems to confirm otp fails to load with error code 2. The assert
>> stack trace points to copy engine in ROM image. Wierd. Anyway, I've
>> extracted firmware files from TP-Link Archer C7 original rootfs. Can you
>> give it a try, please? See the OpenWRT ticket:
>> https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/16589
>

> i tried, but the result doesn't look better:
>
> [    9.640000] ath10k: pci irq legacy irq_mode 0 reset_mode 0
> [    9.730000] ath10k: otp calibration failed: 2
> [   10.540000] ath10k: UART prints enabled
> [   10.600000] ath10k: qca988x hw2.0 (0x4100016c, 0x043202ff) fw
> 10.1.467-tplink-a-c7 api 2 htt 2.1
>
> I removed the error return in ath10k, that's why the firmware starts even
> with the otp error. I don't see the Assertion failure with this otp
> firmware:
>
> CLI>build_version=0x11, rom_version=0x41020000, ram_version=0x11,
> stack_size=6348
> reset reason=0x5
>
> Image startup of Normal mode
> Mac address is : 00:03:7f:4f:00:16

Interesting. I assume you see this exact same mac addr in ifconfig for
ath10k's wlan interface? If OTP is broken you usually get
00:03:07:12:34:56 if my memory serves right.

What mac address do you get when you use the stock firmware-2.bin and
board.bin (instead of mine/from mtd)?

Michał

* Re: compat-wireless-2014-05-22 breaks ath10k in an Archer C7 v2
@ 2014-06-12 19:37               ` Sven Schnelle
From: Sven Schnelle @ 2014-06-12 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Kazior; +Cc: ath10k

Am 12.06.2014 14:57, schrieb Michal Kazior:
> Interesting. I assume you see this exact same mac addr in ifconfig for
> ath10k's wlan interface? If OTP is broken you usually get
> 00:03:07:12:34:56 if my memory serves right. What mac address do you
> get when you use the stock firmware-2.bin and board.bin (instead of
> mine/from mtd)? Michał

I get the mac address from board.bin. If i understand OTP correct, it
should instead use the Mac Adress from
OTP. My guess is that the OTP Memory on that device is simply not
programmed, so it falls back to board.bin.
Is my assumption correct? On system without programmed OTP, shouldn't
ath10k start up and simply fall back
to board.bin instead of bailing out?

I'm not sure if i really unterstood how otp and board.bin relates to
each other now. ;)

Regards
Sven

* Re: compat-wireless-2014-05-22 breaks ath10k in an Archer C7 v2
@ 2014-06-13 11:12                 ` Michal Kazior
From: Michal Kazior @ 2014-06-13 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Schnelle; +Cc: ath10k

On 12 June 2014 21:37, Sven Schnelle <svens@stackframe.org> wrote:
> Am 12.06.2014 14:57, schrieb Michal Kazior:
>> Interesting. I assume you see this exact same mac addr in ifconfig for
>> ath10k's wlan interface? If OTP is broken you usually get 00:03:07:12:34:56
>> if my memory serves right. What mac address do you get when you use the
>> stock firmware-2.bin and board.bin (instead of mine/from mtd)? Michał
>

> I get the mac address from board.bin. If i understand OTP correct, it should
> instead use the Mac Adress from
> OTP. My guess is that the OTP Memory on that device is simply not
> programmed, so it falls back to board.bin.
> Is my assumption correct? On system without programmed OTP, shouldn't ath10k
> start up and simply fall back
> to board.bin instead of bailing out?
>
> I'm not sure if i really unterstood how otp and board.bin relates to each
> other now. ;)

From what I understand board.bin is required by otp.bin. board.bin
seems like data while otp.bin is a program that is executed on the
device.

It might be that otp.bin falls back to board.bin or maybe uses
board.bin as a bootstrap of sorts (e.g. points to a custom location
where otp data is actually stored). This is beyond me.

My suspicion now is otp failure code 2 (which is the original problem
we're discussing) does not necessarily mean that otp failed entirely.
That's why I asked about mac address you were getting with the generic
(the one that can be found in Kalle's github or the one that's in
vanilla OpenWRT) board.bin and firmware-2.bin. Another person reported
[1] they got 00:03:07:12:34:56 mac when with old ath10k (before otp
result was verified) but your uart dump suggests you got a non-generic
mac. I'd like to establish under what circumstances you got your mac.

To recapitulate, can you please check what mac address your wlan interface has:

 a) with otp failure ignored, try board.bin and 10.1.467
firmware-2.bin both as found in vanilla OpenWRT (or from Kalle's
github)
 b) with otp failure ignored, try board.bin as extracted from the
calibration mtd partition but firmware-2.bin as found in vanilla
OpenWRT
 c) with otp failure ignored, try board.bin as extracted from the
calibration mtd partition but firmware-2.bin that I provided in the
OpenWRT ticket[2]

[1]: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/16589#comment:4
[2]: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/16589

Michał

* Re: compat-wireless-2014-05-22 breaks ath10k in an Archer C7 v2
@ 2014-06-14 16:51                   ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2014-06-14 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Kazior; +Cc: Sven Schnelle, ath10k

Michal Kazior <michal.kazior@tieto.com> writes:

> To recapitulate, can you please check what mac address your wlan interface has:
>
>  b) with otp failure ignored, try board.bin as extracted from the
> calibration mtd partition but firmware-2.bin as found in vanilla
> OpenWRT

I haven't checked this yet, but I assume that when the data from MTD is
used we should not even run otp.bin. It would be good to check that case
as well:

  b) don't run otp.bin at all, try board.bin as extracted from the