* Building kernel modules as dependencies
@ 2014-06-29  0:20 Andreas Galauner
From: Andreas Galauner @ 2014-06-29  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi all,

I created recipes for two out-of-tree kernel modules written by myself
in Yocto. I added these two modules in the machine config to
MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS or even
MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RDEPENDS.

The modules build fine if I build them as targets with bitbake. The
right packages are generated and if I build the image after that, they
are included into the rootfs.
But if the modules are not build by hand before building the image, they
aren't built as dependencies and RRECOMMENDS just doesn't include them
into the image as it is supposed to do and RDEPENDS fails of course with
"Nothing PROVIDES kernel-module-my-module-name".

How can I build the kernel modules as image dependencies?
I can't seem to get it done with the countless approaches I already
tried. For example just adding the modules to CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL
didn't work either.

Thanks,
-Andy

* Re: Building kernel modules as dependencies
@ 2014-06-29  5:33 ` Christian Ege
From: Christian Ege @ 2014-06-29  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi Andreas,

> I created recipes for two out-of-tree kernel modules written by myself
> in Yocto. I added these two modules in the machine config to
> MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS or even
> MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RDEPENDS.
Have you used the name of your recipe or kernel-module-my-module-name?

> The modules build fine if I build them as targets with bitbake. The
> right packages are generated and if I build the image after that, they
> are included into the rootfs.
> But if the modules are not build by hand before building the image, they
> aren't built as dependencies and RRECOMMENDS just doesn't include them
> into the image as it is supposed to do and RDEPENDS fails of course with
> "Nothing PROVIDES kernel-module-my-module-name".
>
> How can I build the kernel modules as image dependencies?
> I can't seem to get it done with the countless approaches I already
> tried. For example just adding the modules to CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL
> didn't work either.

Maybe you can provide a more complete example

regards,
Christian

> Thanks,
> -Andy

http://project-magpie.github.io/

* Re: Building kernel modules as dependencies
@ 2014-06-29  7:33   ` Andreas Galauner
From: Andreas Galauner @ 2014-06-29  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 29/06/14 07:33, Christian Ege wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
>> I created recipes for two out-of-tree kernel modules written by myself
>> in Yocto. I added these two modules in the machine config to
>> MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS or even
>> MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RDEPENDS.
> Have you used the name of your recipe or kernel-module-my-module-name?

It was kernel-module-my-module-name. All underscores in the module name
replaced with hyphens. I also tried underscores.

Like this:
> MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RDEPENDS += "\
> 	kernel-module-rpmsg-unicast \
> 	kernel-module-rpmsg-broadcast \
> 	"

And I just replaced it with the name of the package itself and now it
works fine.

Like this:
> MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RDEPENDS += "\
> 	rpmsg-unicast \