* QEMU in SDK
@ 2014-07-08  6:15 Joseph Andrew de la Peña
From: Joseph Andrew de la Peña @ 2014-07-08  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Good day ALL,

I was wondering if it's possible to automatically add QEMU dependencies
(kernel and ext3 files) into the script generated by do_populate_sdk? Then
after running the generated SDK script, the images will reside in
/path/to/sysroots/xxx-poky-xxx/tmp/images? Then just add an environment
variable to the environment script to locate the images path. Is this
possible?

The intention is to run QEMU in a host machine with extracted SDK. Any
suggestions on other better ways to run QEMU in another machine w/ SDK
would be great.

Thanks,
Joseph

* Re: QEMU in SDK
@ 2014-07-08  7:26 ` Chong Lu
From: Chong Lu @ 2014-07-08  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Andrew de la Peña, yocto

Hi Joseph,

Maybe you can use adt-installer.

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/adt-manual/adt-manual.html#using-the-adt-installer

Best Regards
Chong

On 07/08/2014 02:15 PM, Joseph Andrew de la Peña wrote:
> Good day ALL,
>
> I was wondering if it's possible to automatically add QEMU
> dependencies (kernel and ext3 files) into the script generated by
> do_populate_sdk? Then after running the generated SDK script, the
> images will reside in /path/to/sysroots/xxx-poky-xxx/tmp/images? Then
> just add an environment variable to the environment script to locate
> the images path. Is this possible?
>
> The intention is to run QEMU in a host machine with extracted SDK. Any
> suggestions on other better ways to run QEMU in another machine w/ SDK
> would be great.
>
> Thanks,
> Joseph

* Re: QEMU in SDK
@ 2014-07-08  9:39   ` Joseph Andrew de la Peña
From: Joseph Andrew de la Peña @ 2014-07-08  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Lu; +Cc: yocto

Good day Chong,

Actually, I have used ADT (Section 3.4 Optionally Building a Toolchain
Installer). I used the method -c populate_sdk and it generated a toolchain
script from my existing build workdir's core-image-XXX. I ran the toolchain
and it generated a sysroots dir to /path/to/sysroots (SDK_PATH).

Here's the directory structure:
+ SDK_PATH
--- + environment-setup-XXX
--- + site-config-XXX
--- + sysroots (dir)
---------- + XXX-poky-linux (dir)
---------- + XXX-pokysdk-linux (dir)
--- + version-XXX

The poky-linux dir does not contain a build dir and nowhere are the images
(kernel and ext3) to be found. Thus, the main problem is how can I ran qemu
with my SDK setup. This would lead to my sub question: since QEMU needs the
kernel and ext3 files, how can I automatically copy these images from my
existing build workdir to the newly created SDK dir.

Thanks,
Joseph

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Chong Lu <Chong.Lu@windriver.com> wrote:

>  Hi Joseph,
>
> Maybe you can use adt-installer.
>

> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/adt-manual/adt-manual.html#using-the-adt-installer
>
> Best Regards
> Chong
>
> On 07/08/2014 02:15 PM, Joseph Andrew de la Peña wrote:
>
> Good day ALL,
>
>  I was wondering if it's possible to automatically add QEMU dependencies
> (kernel and ext3 files) into the script generated by do_populate_sdk? Then
> after running the generated SDK script, the images will reside in
> /path/to/sysroots/xxx-poky-xxx/tmp/images? Then just add an environment
> variable to the environment script to locate the images path. Is this
> possible?
>
>  The intention is to run QEMU in a host machine with extracted SDK. Any
> suggestions on other better ways to run QEMU in another machine w/ SDK
> would be great.
>
>  Thanks,
> Joseph

* Re: QEMU in SDK
@ 2014-07-08  9:54     ` Chong Lu
From: Chong Lu @ 2014-07-08  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Andrew de la Peña; +Cc: yocto

I mean you can use adt-installer to make your sdk environment. (3.1.1.
Using the ADT Installer)
After you run adt-installer script, you can get kernel and rootfs in
download_image directory.

Best Regards
Chong

* Re: QEMU in SDK
@ 2014-07-09  8:27       ` Joseph Andrew de la Peña
From: Joseph Andrew de la Peña @ 2014-07-09  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Lu; +Cc: yocto

Good day Chong,

Thank you so much for your input! I have also tried the ADT method you
mentioned and saw the needed files inside download_image. Yet this is not
the path I intended to take since in our poky, we already have our own
generated images.

The output should be like the ADT installer where the moment you run the
script, the images will be installed inside a certain dir in sysroots. Is
this possible?

The expected outcome should be the moment I finished running the SDK script
generated by populate_sdk, the images should also be seen in my sdk path.
How can I include the images as content to the SDK script? Is there a
variable that I need to set in conf or any?

- Joseph

* Re: QEMU in SDK
@ 2014-07-09  8:53         ` Chong Lu
From: Chong Lu @ 2014-07-09  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Andrew de la Peña; +Cc: yocto

On 07/09/2014 04:27 PM, Joseph Andrew de la Peña wrote:
> Good day Chong,
>
> Thank you so much for your input! I have also tried the ADT method you
> mentioned and saw the needed files inside download_image. Yet this is
> not the path I intended to take since in our poky, we already have our
> own generated images.
>
> The output should be like the ADT installer where the moment you run
> the script, the images will be installed inside a certain dir in
> sysroots. Is this possible?
>
> The expected outcome should be the moment I finished running the SDK
> script generated by populate_sdk, the images should also be seen in my
> sdk path. How can I include the images as content to the SDK script?
> Is there a variable that I need to set in conf or any?

adt-installer download images from http://adtrepo.yoctoproject.org/ ,
maybe you can create your repo for your images.
The script from populate_sdk can't get images default.

BR
Chong

* Re: QEMU in SDK
@ 2014-07-09  9:01           ` Joseph Andrew de la Peña
From: Joseph Andrew de la Peña @ 2014-07-09  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Lu; +Cc: yocto

Great! All clear now!
Thanks a lot for your help Chong!

- Joseph

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Chong Lu <Chong.Lu@windriver.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>>  Hi Joseph,
>>>
>>> Maybe you can use adt-installer.
>>>

>>> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/adt-manual/adt-manual.html#using-the-adt-installer
>>>
>>> Best Regards
>>> Chong
>>>
>>> On 07/08/2014 02:15 PM, Joseph Andrew de la Peña wrote:
>>>
>>> Good day ALL,
>>>
>>>  I was wondering if it's possible to automatically add QEMU
>>> dependencies (kernel and ext3 files) into the script generated by
>>> do_populate_sdk? Then after running the generated SDK script, the images
>>> will reside in /path/to/sysroots/xxx-poky-xxx/tmp/images? Then just add an
>>> environment variable to the environment script to locate the images path.
>>> Is this possible?
>>>
>>>  The intention is to run QEMU in a host machine with extracted SDK. Any
>>> suggestions on other better ways to run QEMU in another machine w/ SDK

* QEMU in SDK
@ 2014-07-08  3:05 Joseph Andrew de la Peña
From: Joseph Andrew de la Peña @ 2014-07-08  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto