* multi-boot
@ 2014-06-13 16:14 Gene Czarcinski
From: Gene Czarcinski @ 2014-06-13 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

In second 5.3 of the GNU GRUB 2.00 manual, there is a statement
"Currently autogenerating config files for multi-boot environments
depends on os-prober and has several shortcomings."

I agree. Os-prober and the way it works with 30_os-prober is fragile at
best and sometimes produces incorrect configurations.

Personally, I use a variation of the manually configured option
described in section 5.3:  I install a very small system and then use
/etc/grub.d/40_custom to provide my multi-boot options ... mostly by
chainloading configfile.

In section 5.3, there is also mention of "fixing it is scheduled for the
next release" and "it" refers to os-prober.  OK, what is the story? Is
anything being done to improve easy configuration for multi-boot?

Just what is the status of using/depending-on os-prober?

Some distributions such as SUSE, Fedora, RHEL, Ubuntu (?) believe that
users want some type of auto-config which enables them to bootup their
old systems when a new install replaces the MBR and points to this newly
install system.

Comments?

Gene

* Re: multi-boot