* Removal of regulator framework
@ 2014-07-19 16:19 Hauke Mehrtens
From: Hauke Mehrtens @ 2014-07-19 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: backports, Luis R. Rodriguez

Maintaining the regulator drivers in backports costs some time and I do
not need them. Is anybody using the regulator drivers from backports? I
would like to remove them.

Hauke

* Re: Removal of regulator framework
@ 2014-07-23 17:13 ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2014-07-23 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hauke Mehrtens; +Cc: backports, Mauro Carvalho Chehab, linux-media

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Hauke Mehrtens <hauke@hauke-m.de> wrote:
> Maintaining the regulator drivers in backports costs some time and I do
> not need them. Is anybody using the regulator drivers from backports? I
> would like to remove them.

That came simply from collateral of backporting media drivers,
eventually I started running into device drivers that used the
regulator framework. Since we have tons of media drivers perhaps the
more sensible thing to do is to white list a set of media divers that
people actually care and then we just nuke both regulator and media
drivers that no one cares for. For that though I'd like to ask media
folks.

Here's a list of media drivers I know SUSE does support, in case that
helps. Right now backports carries all of drivers/media though.

                drivers/media/common/btcx-risc                  # some
code shared by bttv and cx88xx drivers
                drivers/media/common/cx2341x
                drivers/media/common/saa7146/saa7146
                drivers/media/common/saa7146/saa7146_vv
                drivers/media/common/tveeprom
                drivers/media/i2c/adv7170                       #
Analog Devices ADV7170 video encoder driver
                drivers/media/i2c/adv7175                       #
Analog Devices ADV7175 video encoder driver
                drivers/media/i2c/bt819                         #
Brooktree-819 video decoder driver
                drivers/media/i2c/bt856                         #
Brooktree-856A video encoder driver
                drivers/media/i2c/cs5345
                drivers/media/i2c/cs53l32a                      #
cs53l32a (Adaptec AVC-2010 and AVC-2410) i2c ivtv driver
                drivers/media/i2c/cx25840/cx25840               #
Conexant CX25840 audio/video decoder driver
                drivers/media/i2c/ir-kbd-i2c                    #
input driver for i2c IR remote controls
                drivers/media/i2c/ks0127
                drivers/media/i2c/m52790
                drivers/media/i2c/msp3400                       #
device driver for msp34xx TV sound processor
                drivers/media/i2c/saa6588                       #
Philips SAA6588 RDS decoder
                drivers/media/i2c/saa7110                       #
Philips SAA7110 video decoder driver
                drivers/media/i2c/saa7115                       #
Philips SAA7111/13/14/15/18 video decoder driver
                drivers/media/i2c/saa7127                       #
Philips SAA7127/SAA7129 video encoder driver
                drivers/media/i2c/saa717x
                drivers/media/i2c/saa7185                       #
Philips SAA7185 video encoder driver
                drivers/media/i2c/tda7432                       # bttv
driver for the tda7432 audio processor chip
                drivers/media/i2c/tda9840
                drivers/media/i2c/tea6415c
                drivers/media/i2c/tea6420
                drivers/media/i2c/tvaudio                       #
device driver for various i2c TV sound decoder / audiomux chips
                drivers/media/i2c/tvp5150                       #
Texas Instruments TVP5150A(M) video decoder driver
                drivers/media/i2c/upd64031a
                drivers/media/i2c/upd64083
                drivers/media/i2c/vp27smpx
                drivers/media/i2c/vpx3220                       #
vpx3220a/vpx3216b/vpx3214c video encoder driver
                drivers/media/i2c/wm8739
                drivers/media/i2c/wm8775
                drivers/media/pci/bt8xx/bttv
                drivers/media/pci/cx88/cx88-alsa
                drivers/media/pci/cx88/cx88-blackbird
                drivers/media/pci/cx88/cx8800
                drivers/media/pci/cx88/cx8802
                drivers/media/pci/cx88/cx88xx
                drivers/media/pci/ivtv/ivtv
                drivers/media/pci/ivtv/ivtvfb
                drivers/media/pci/meye/meye
                drivers/media/pci/saa7134/saa6752hs             #
device driver for saa6752hs MPEG2 encoder
                drivers/media/pci/saa7134/saa7134
                drivers/media/pci/saa7134/saa7134-alsa
                drivers/media/pci/saa7134/saa7134-empress
                drivers/media/pci/saa7146/hexium_gemini
                drivers/media/pci/saa7146/hexium_orion
                drivers/media/pci/saa7146/mxb                   #
video4linux-2 driver for the Siemens-Nixdorf 'Multimedia eXtension
board'
                drivers/media/pci/zoran/videocodec              #
Intermediate API module for video codecs
                drivers/media/pci/zoran/zr36016
                drivers/media/pci/zoran/zr36050
                drivers/media/pci/zoran/zr36060
                drivers/media/pci/zoran/zr36067
                drivers/media/platform/vivi
                drivers/media/radio/dsbr100
                drivers/media/radio/radio-maxiradio             #
Radio driver for the Guillemot Maxi Radio FM2000 radio.
                drivers/media/radio/si470x/radio-usb-si470x
                drivers/media/radio/tea575x
                drivers/media/rc/ati_remote
                drivers/media/rc/rc_core
                drivers/media/rc/winbond-cir
                drivers/media/tuners/mt2060
                drivers/media/tuners/mt20xx
                drivers/media/tuners/mt2131
                drivers/media/tuners/mt2266
                drivers/media/tuners/mxl5005s
                drivers/media/tuners/mxl5007t
                drivers/media/tuners/qt1010
                drivers/media/tuners/tda18271
                drivers/media/tuners/tda827x
                drivers/media/tuners/tda8290
                drivers/media/tuners/tda9887
                drivers/media/tuners/tea5761
                drivers/media/tuners/tea5767
                drivers/media/tuners/tuner-simple
                drivers/media/tuners/tuner-types
                drivers/media/tuners/tuner-xc2028
                drivers/media/tuners/xc5000
                drivers/media/usb/em28xx/em28xx                 #
driver for Empia EM2800/EM2820/2840 USB video capture device
                drivers/media/usb/em28xx/em28xx-alsa
                drivers/media/usb/usbvision/usbvision
                drivers/media/usb/uvc/uvcvideo
                drivers/media/v4l2-core/tuner                   #
device driver for various TV and TV+FM radio tuners
                drivers/media/v4l2-core/v4l2-common
                drivers/media/v4l2-core/videobuf-core
                drivers/media/v4l2-core/videobuf-dma-sg
                drivers/media/v4l2-core/videobuf-vmalloc
                drivers/media/v4l2-core/videobuf2_core
                drivers/media/v4l2-core/videobuf2_memops
                drivers/media/v4l2-core/videobuf2_vmalloc
                drivers/media/v4l2-core/videodev                #
Device registrar for Video4Linux drivers

 Luis

* Re: Removal of regulator framework
@ 2014-07-23 17:57   ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2014-07-23 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis R. Rodriguez; +Cc: Hauke Mehrtens, backports, linux-media

Em Wed, 23 Jul 2014 10:13:28 -0700
"Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@do-not-panic.com> escreveu:

> On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Hauke Mehrtens <hauke@hauke-m.de> wrote:
> > Maintaining the regulator drivers in backports costs some time and I do
> > not need them. Is anybody using the regulator drivers from backports? I
> > would like to remove them.
>
> That came simply from collateral of backporting media drivers,
> eventually I started running into device drivers that used the
> regulator framework. Since we have tons of media drivers perhaps the
> more sensible thing to do is to white list a set of media divers that
> people actually care and then we just nuke both regulator and media
> drivers that no one cares for. For that though I'd like to ask media
> folks.

Hi Luis,

The drivers that currently use regulators are mostly the ones at
drivers/media/platform, plus the corresponding I2C drivers for their
webcam sensors, under drivers/media/i2c.

I think that there's one exception though: em28xx. This driver can use
some sensor drivers, as it supports a few webcams. This is one of
the most used USB media driver, as there are lots of USB supported
on it, supporting 4 types of devices on it: analog TV, capture card,
digital TV and webcam.

The webcam part of em28xx is not that relevant, as there are very few
models using it. However, currently, it is not possible to just
disable webcam support. It shouldn't be hard to make webcam support
optional on it, as it has already sub-drivers for V4L2, DVB, ALSA and
remote controller. One additional driver for webcam, that could be
disabled at the backport tree shouldn't be hard to do. If you want it,
patches are welcome.

@ 2014-07-23 18:23     ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2014-07-23 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: Hauke Mehrtens, backports, linux-media

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<m.chehab@samsung.com> wrote:
> Em Wed, 23 Jul 2014 10:13:28 -0700
> "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@do-not-panic.com> escreveu:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Hauke Mehrtens <hauke@hauke-m.de> wrote:
>> > Maintaining the regulator drivers in backports costs some time and I do
>> > not need them. Is anybody using the regulator drivers from backports? I
>> > would like to remove them.
>>
>> That came simply from collateral of backporting media drivers,
>> eventually I started running into device drivers that used the
>> regulator framework. Since we have tons of media drivers perhaps the
>> more sensible thing to do is to white list a set of media divers that
>> people actually care and then we just nuke both regulator and media
>> drivers that no one cares for. For that though I'd like to ask media
>> folks.
>
> Hi Luis,
>
> The drivers that currently use regulators are mostly the ones at
> drivers/media/platform, plus the corresponding I2C drivers for their
> webcam sensors, under drivers/media/i2c.
>
> I think that there's one exception though: em28xx. This driver can use
> some sensor drivers, as it supports a few webcams. This is one of
> the most used USB media driver, as there are lots of USB supported
> on it, supporting 4 types of devices on it: analog TV, capture card,
> digital TV and webcam.
>
> The webcam part of em28xx is not that relevant, as there are very few
> models using it. However, currently, it is not possible to just
> disable webcam support. It shouldn't be hard to make webcam support
> optional on it, as it has already sub-drivers for V4L2, DVB, ALSA and
> remote controller. One additional driver for webcam, that could be
> disabled at the backport tree shouldn't be hard to do. If you want it,
> patches are welcome.

Thanks for the details Mauro, are you aware of current or future uses
of backports for media at this point? Adding media drivers was more of
an experiment to see how hard or easy it would be to add a new
unrelated subsystem, we carry it now and as collateral also carry some
regulator drivers but its not clear the value in terms of users, so
hence Hauke's question of removal of the regulator drivers. It'd be
good to limit the drivers we carry to what folks actually use and care
about.

  Luis

* Re: Removal of regulator framework
@ 2014-07-23 18:56       ` Hauke Mehrtens
From: Hauke Mehrtens @ 2014-07-23 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis R. Rodriguez, Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: backports, linux-media

On 07/23/2014 08:23 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
> <m.chehab@samsung.com> wrote:
>> Em Wed, 23 Jul 2014 10:13:28 -0700

>>> That came simply from collateral of backporting media drivers,
>>> eventually I started running into device drivers that used the
>>> regulator framework. Since we have tons of media drivers perhaps the
>>> more sensible thing to do is to white list a set of media divers that
>>> people actually care and then we just nuke both regulator and media
>>> drivers that no one cares for. For that though I'd like to ask media
>>> folks.
>>
>> Hi Luis,
>>
>> The drivers that currently use regulators are mostly the ones at
>> drivers/media/platform, plus the corresponding I2C drivers for their
>> webcam sensors, under drivers/media/i2c.
>>
>> I think that there's one exception though: em28xx. This driver can use
>> some sensor drivers, as it supports a few webcams. This is one of
>> the most used USB media driver, as there are lots of USB supported
>> on it, supporting 4 types of devices on it: analog TV, capture card,
>> digital TV and webcam.
>>
>> The webcam part of em28xx is not that relevant, as there are very few
>> models using it. However, currently, it is not possible to just
>> disable webcam support. It shouldn't be hard to make webcam support
>> optional on it, as it has already sub-drivers for V4L2, DVB, ALSA and
>> remote controller. One additional driver for webcam, that could be
>> disabled at the backport tree shouldn't be hard to do. If you want it,
>> patches are welcome.
>
> Thanks for the details Mauro, are you aware of current or future uses
> of backports for media at this point? Adding media drivers was more of
> an experiment to see how hard or easy it would be to add a new
> unrelated subsystem, we carry it now and as collateral also carry some
> regulator drivers but its not clear the value in terms of users, so
> hence Hauke's question of removal of the regulator drivers. It'd be
> good to limit the drivers we carry to what folks actually use and care
> about.
>
>   Luis

Hi,

carrying some regularity drivers which are needed for some specific
media driver does not look like a big problem. The current problem from
my side is that we carry all regularity drivers by default and that
causes some problems. Many of these driver are used only on one specific
SoC product line and uses their often changing interface, so they break
often.

When all the regulator drivers are only needed for the media driver I
would add just add the driver which are actually used by a shipped media
driver and nothing more.

@ 2014-07-23 19:09         ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2014-07-23 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hauke Mehrtens; +Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, backports, linux-media

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Hauke Mehrtens <hauke@hauke-m.de> wrote:
> carrying some regularity drivers which are needed for some specific
> media driver does not look like a big problem. The current problem from
> my side is that we carry all regularity drivers by default and that
> causes some problems. Many of these driver are used only on one specific
> SoC product line and uses their often changing interface, so they break
> often.
>
> When all the regulator drivers are only needed for the media driver I
> would add just add the driver which are actually used by a shipped media
> driver and nothing more.

Makes sense. I'm suggesting we can trim even more by only keeping
media drivers we really should care for and its dependencies. We need
a white list then, do we want to start off with perhaps the list I
posted? Media folks, is there anything else we should carry that would
help the media folks?

  Luis