* can't insmod patched snd-usb-audio
@ 2014-08-09 11:40 Orm Finnendahl
From: Orm Finnendahl @ 2014-08-09 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi,

 hope it's ok to post it here as it's not (yet) official alsa: After
having no issues with Tobias Hoffmann's scarlett alsa mixer patch on
my older kernels, trying to insmod the patched kernel modules on my
most current kernel (the patch and documentation obtained with
"git clone http://github.com/trrichard/alsa-driver_scarlett.git")
fails with the following message:

root@x1-orm:/usr/src/linux-source-3.14# insmod sound/usb/snd-usbmidi-lib.ko
insmod: ERROR: could not insert module sound/usb/snd-usbmidi-lib.ko: Unknown symbol in module

root@x1-orm:/usr/src/linux-source-3.14# insmod sound/usb/snd-usb-audio.ko
insmod: ERROR: could not insert module sound/usb/snd-usb-audio.ko: Unknown symbol in module

I'm on debian testing with 3.14-2-amd64 kernel and followed all the
instructions in the scarlett kernel patch README (I tried three times
each with a fresh kernel source tree from scratch to be sure). The
patch has worked for me on older kernels without any problems.

Does anybody know how to deal with this? Let me know if you need
further information.

Yours,
Orm

* Re: can't insmod patched snd-usb-audio
@ 2014-08-09 12:46 ` Orm Finnendahl
From: Orm Finnendahl @ 2014-08-09 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Got it working. An additional "make modules_prepare" seemed to do the
trick. sorry for the noise...

--
Orm

@ 2014-08-10 11:57 ` Daniel Mack
From: Daniel Mack @ 2014-08-10 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Orm Finnendahl; +Cc: alsa-devel

On 08/09/2014 01:40 PM, Orm Finnendahl wrote:
>  hope it's ok to post it here as it's not (yet) official alsa: After
> having no issues with Tobias Hoffmann's scarlett alsa mixer patch on
> my older kernels, trying to insmod the patched kernel modules on my
> most current kernel (the patch and documentation obtained with
> "git clone http://github.com/trrichard/alsa-driver_scarlett.git")
> fails with the following message:

Interesting. Why isn't this patch mainline? Keeping such things
out-of-tree are likely to cause maintenance overhead in the future, and
people who don't want to (or are unable to) compile a kernel themselves
will not benefit from it.

Tobias doesn't seem to have a public mail address (at least I didn't
find any in his GH profile), so I can't ask him whether he considers
sending a patch for inclusion.

Orm, would you be up for it? It needs to be done by someone with access
to the hardware for testing. There are some things that need cleanup,
but we can best discuss those in replies to a patch.

Thanks,
Daniel

* Re: can't insmod patched snd-usb-audio
@ 2014-08-21  0:25   ` Ira Malinich
From: Ira Malinich @ 2014-08-21  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Daniel Mack <daniel <at> zonque.org> writes:

> Interesting. Why isn't this patch mainline? Keeping such things
> out-of-tree are likely to cause maintenance overhead in the future, and
> people who don't want to (or are unable to) compile a kernel themselves
> will not benefit from it.

I know I'd like to see it in mainline.

> Tobias doesn't seem to have a public mail address (at least I didn't
> find any in his GH profile), so I can't ask him whether he considers
> sending a patch for inclusion.

It looks like he is pretty responsive to issues in github, but he's made it
clear he doesn't have the time to invest in getting this in mainline.

> Orm, would you be up for it? It needs to be done by someone with access
> to the hardware for testing. There are some things that need cleanup,
> but we can best discuss those in replies to a patch.

I wish I could volunteer, but I have no idea what I'm doing with kernel
stuff.  I have a Scarlett 6i6 to test with and may be able to get access to
an 18i20 as well, if that's in any way useful.

  - Ira