* SCTP research inquiry
@ 2014-09-03 17:07 Kostantinos Katsaros
From: Kostantinos Katsaros @ 2014-09-03 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

Dear NetDev list,

I am a researcher from Univ. of Surrey. I know that this list is
mainly for developers of linux-kernel but I want to ask for some help
to understand the SCTP implementation and pointers to some aspects.

What I would actually like to do, is to modify the default SCTP
operation with respect to primary/secondary interface selection and
analyse it in simulations with NS-3. However, I haven't found an API
or some other help and I was advised to contact this list. I know that
NS-3 is capable of using linux-kernel implementations through the use
of DCE, but my issue here is in the SCTP implementation.

There a few questions I have in a basic scenario with two nodes
connected via 2 interfaces.

- How can I dynamically select which of the two interfaces is primary?
Which method is responsible or should be called to switch?

- I guess that SCTP has some variable holding the estimated RTT on
each path (also used for calculating RTO). Is this accessible and how?
I would like to use this as a triggering mechanism to the switch
method above. In principle select the path with the minimum RTT.

- In a similar way of TCP Westwood (Plus), I would like to estimate
the available bandwidth and use this as trigger.

- Finally, I want to monitor the ratio (packets or bytes sent) on each
of the available paths. How can I implement such mechanism? Do I have
to implement a 'sniffer'?

I would appreciate any help, pointers, code snippets.

Regards,

Kostas

* Re: SCTP research inquiry
@ 2014-09-03 17:22 ` Daniel Borkmann
From: Daniel Borkmann @ 2014-09-03 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kostantinos Katsaros; +Cc: netdev

On 09/03/2014 07:07 PM, Kostantinos Katsaros wrote:
> Dear NetDev list,
>
> I am a researcher from Univ. of Surrey. I know that this list is
> mainly for developers of linux-kernel but I want to ask for some help
> to understand the SCTP implementation and pointers to some aspects.
>
> What I would actually like to do, is to modify the default SCTP
> operation with respect to primary/secondary interface selection and
> analyse it in simulations with NS-3. However, I haven't found an API
> or some other help and I was advised to contact this list. I know that
> NS-3 is capable of using linux-kernel implementations through the use
> of DCE, but my issue here is in the SCTP implementation.
>
> There a few questions I have in a basic scenario with two nodes
> connected via 2 interfaces.
>
> - How can I dynamically select which of the two interfaces is primary?
> Which method is responsible or should be called to switch?

Have a look at the implementation of sctp_select_active_and_retran_path()
and sctp_assoc_choose_alter_transport() with sctp_assoc_update_retran_path().
Make sure you use a latest 3.17 rcX as it contains the latest changes to
it (which you will find with some more explanation in the git log under
net/sctp/).

> - I guess that SCTP has some variable holding the estimated RTT on
> each path (also used for calculating RTO). Is this accessible and how?
> I would like to use this as a triggering mechanism to the switch
> method above. In principle select the path with the minimum RTT.
>
> - In a similar way of TCP Westwood (Plus), I would like to estimate
> the available bandwidth and use this as trigger.
>
> - Finally, I want to monitor the ratio (packets or bytes sent) on each
> of the available paths. How can I implement such mechanism? Do I have
> to implement a 'sniffer'?
>

> I would appreciate any help, pointers, code snippets.
>

> Regards,
>
> Kostas

* Re: SCTP research inquiry
@ 2014-09-03 20:44 ` Vlad Yasevich
From: Vlad Yasevich @ 2014-09-03 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kostantinos Katsaros, netdev

On 09/03/2014 01:07 PM, Kostantinos Katsaros wrote:
> Dear NetDev list,
>
> I am a researcher from Univ. of Surrey. I know that this list is
> mainly for developers of linux-kernel but I want to ask for some help
> to understand the SCTP implementation and pointers to some aspects.
>
> What I would actually like to do, is to modify the default SCTP
> operation with respect to primary/secondary interface selection and
> analyse it in simulations with NS-3. However, I haven't found an API
> or some other help and I was advised to contact this list. I know that
> NS-3 is capable of using linux-kernel implementations through the use
> of DCE, but my issue here is in the SCTP implementation.
>

> There a few questions I have in a basic scenario with two nodes
> connected via 2 interfaces.

Are you looking for user-space API that provide the information you need?
The reason I ask is that all I've seen of dce requires you to have
an posix-like application to run on top of the protocol you want to use.
I don't know if DCE allows you directly call linux kernel functions.

Based on the above answer, I can point you more resources.

-vlad