* BUG I can't start git on Windows 7
@ 2014-09-08  9:15 Petr Bena
From: Petr Bena @ 2014-09-08  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

I installed git on my system using official package from git-scm.com
but I can't launch it, I am always getting this error:

C:\Users\petr.bena>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\bin\sh.exe" --login -i
      0 [main] us 0 init_cheap: VirtualAlloc pointer is null, Win32 error 487
AllocationBase 0x0, BaseAddress 0x68570000, RegionSize 0x40000, State 0x10000
C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\bin\sh.exe: *** Couldn't reserve space for
cygwin's heap, Win32 error 0

At some point this could be an issue with cygwin, but I am not sure.
Did anyone had similar issue?

* Re: BUG I can't start git on Windows 7
@ 2014-09-08 13:21 ` Thomas Braun
From: Thomas Braun @ 2014-09-08 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Bena, git, msysGit

Am 08.09.2014 um 11:15 schrieb Petr Bena:
> I installed git on my system using official package from git-scm.com
> but I can't launch it, I am always getting this error:
>
> C:\Users\petr.bena>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\bin\sh.exe" --login -i
>       0 [main] us 0 init_cheap: VirtualAlloc pointer is null, Win32 error 487
> AllocationBase 0x0, BaseAddress 0x68570000, RegionSize 0x40000, State 0x10000
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\bin\sh.exe: *** Couldn't reserve space for
> cygwin's heap, Win32 error 0
>

> At some point this could be an issue with cygwin, but I am not sure.
> Did anyone had similar issue?

[CC'ing msysgit]

Do you have cygwin installed, or why do you mention cygwin?
What windows are you running?

*** Please reply-to-all at all times ***
*** (do not pretend to know who is subscribed and who is not) ***
*** Please avoid top-posting. ***
The msysGit Wiki is here: https://github.com/msysgit/msysgit/wiki - Github accounts are free.

msysgit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, and view previous threads, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/msysgit?hl=en_US?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Git for Windows" group.

* Re: BUG I can't start git on Windows 7
@ 2014-09-08 13:23   ` Petr Bena
From: Petr Bena @ 2014-09-08 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Braun; +Cc: git, msysGit

Hi,

Windows 7 enterprise (Windows [Version 6.1.7601])

I mention it because IMHO windows git is based on cygwin and because I
can see cygwin mentioned in error message. I didn't install it by
hand, I think it was part of git installation package.

@ 2014-09-08 15:34 ` Konstantin Khomoutov
From: Konstantin Khomoutov @ 2014-09-08 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 8 Sep 2014 11:15:44 +0200
Petr Bena <benapetr@gmail.com> wrote:

> I installed git on my system using official package from git-scm.com
> but I can't launch it, I am always getting this error:
>
> C:\Users\petr.bena>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\bin\sh.exe" --login -i
>       0 [main] us 0 init_cheap: VirtualAlloc pointer is null, Win32
> error 487 AllocationBase 0x0, BaseAddress 0x68570000, RegionSize
> 0x40000, State 0x10000 C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\bin\sh.exe: ***
> Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap, Win32 error 0
>

> At some point this could be an issue with cygwin, but I am not sure.
> Did anyone had similar issue?

Does [1] help?

I wonder, why the error message mentions Cygwin though.
One reason might be is that MinGW is originally a fork of some very
early Cygwin release so may be some error message is lingering there,
unmodified.

1. http://stackoverflow.com/a/24406417/720999

@ 2014-09-08 15:56   ` Petr Bena
From: Petr Bena @ 2014-09-08 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes that fixed it, thanks :)

@ 2014-09-08 15:57     ` Petr Bena
From: Petr Bena @ 2014-09-08 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

For others who are lazy to open the link, solution is executing this
as administrator from your bin folder from where git is installed:

rebase.exe -b 0x50000000 msys-1.0.dll

or reboot, but some people don't reboot their PC's ever, so you might
prefer this.

@ 2014-09-08 16:02   ` Thomas Braun
From: Thomas Braun @ 2014-09-08 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 08.09.2014 um 17:34 schrieb Konstantin Khomoutov:
> I wonder, why the error message mentions Cygwin though.

This is a leftover. Msys was forked from cygwin some time ago.