* [LTP] Questions about gcov/lcov and Fortran 90
       [not found] <CAOi2z=w4wLnZ_8Uf9226G5n_nXwE4DQKgd=BKqn1PWSnWgdMOg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-09-14 12:27 ` Christophe Taillan
From: Christophe Taillan @ 2014-09-14 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp-list

Hi everyone,

I am currently using gcov/lcov to study coverage of a large Fortran 90
code. The goal is to find and erase unused code.
Due to the size of the program, I'm looking for a way to automatize the
process.

But I've got some trouble :
   -  with nested "if": if the main condition is not validated, all the
code in the "if" block should be tagged as "####", in fact, it seems that
other "if" lines are not...
   -  lines read once seems not to be tagged as "1",
   -  lines like "use some_module" are not tagged either.

So my question is, is there any existing tools to manage with these
problems or did I miss any option in gcov?

Thank to all of you,

Christophe

Want excitement?
When you want reliability, choose Perforce.

* Re: [LTP] Questions about gcov/lcov and Fortran 90
@ 2014-09-16 14:35   ` Peter Oberparleiter
From: Peter Oberparleiter @ 2014-09-16 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Taillan, ltp-list

On 14.09.2014 14:27, Christophe Taillan wrote:
> I am currently using gcov/lcov to study coverage of a large Fortran 90
> code. The goal is to find and erase unused code.
> Due to the size of the program, I'm looking for a way to automatize the
> process.
>
> But I've got some trouble :
>    -  with nested "if": if the main condition is not validated, all the
> code in the "if" block should be tagged as "####", in fact, it seems
> that other "if" lines are not...
>    -  lines read once seems not to be tagged as "1",
>    -  lines like "use some_module" are not tagged either.
>
> So my question is, is there any existing tools to manage with these
> problems or did I miss any option in gcov?

gcov can only report coverage data for lines for which GCC generated
actual code. While I don't have any experience with Fortran 90, my guess
would be that "use some_module" does not actually generate code.

Also turning off all optimization options when compiling the code in
question can help improve the accuracy of gcov/lcov. See also:

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Gcov-Intro.html

Regards,
  Peter Oberparleiter

--
Peter Oberparleiter
Linux on System z Development - IBM Germany