* Re: BCM4313 14e4:4727 was working fine, now failing - Ubuntu Linux
       [not found] <8D19F0C0D277DCC-10DC-23F3@webmail-vm064.sysops.aol.com>
@ 2014-09-15 15:49 ` Seth Forshee
From: Seth Forshee @ 2014-09-15 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc & Karen Vincent; +Cc: arend, linux-wireless, brcm80211-dev-list

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 10:54:14AM -0400, Marc & Karen Vincent wrote:
> Hello Seth and Arend,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
>
> I hope that this gives some pointers -
>

> dmesg output attached as requested. The lines 30.649061 and 30.649285 (ref brcms) appear as error messages on the screen during the boot process. The line 23.809659 seems to confirm the presence of the brcms and bcma modules
> From a check back through the system logs Linux updated on Friday 12th after which the wireless failed, it was with the same 3.13.0.xx that the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS upgrade installed on Saturday 13th
> From the logs of the Saturday 13th upgrade the previous version of Linux appears to have been 3.2.0.68.81 and wireless had definitely worked without modifications prior to this. Also, no attempt was made to fix the wireless BEFORE the LTS Ubuntu upgrade (wired), which incidentally was from 12.04 LTS and was problem free

Oh, in that case it sounds like we're talking about an upgrade from a
3.2.x kernel to a 3.13.x kernel. But I'm a bit confused - from the
original message I got the impression that you started seeing problems
before you did the LTS upgrade, but from this statement I get the
impression that the problems didn't start until after the upgrade. Can
you clarify?

Those error messages you pointed out aren't really errors in the sense
that something went wrong, they're just notifications of features which
haven't been implemented in brcmsmac. They aren't related to the
problems you're seeing.

I didn't notice anything in the dmesg which provides any clues as to
what's going on. Maybe Arend will notice something I missed.

> Purging of bcmwl-kernel-source package was recommended on the majority of the Ubuntu forum solutions to ensure unwanted modules were not present and conflicting. I am not aware of it being active

If you hadn't installed the bcmwl-kernel-source package then all of
those instructions probably had no practical effect on your machine.

> This is the link for the contents of the package linux firmware nonfree which should provide the information re the drivers that are being installed through it http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/kernel/linux-firmware-nonfree
>
> This is the link to the 'module to use/blacklist' answer which seemed to summarise what everyone was saying https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx#Known_Issues
>
> I have taken copies of the log files for the system updates completed in the week prior to, and including, the LTS Ubuntu upgrade. As you can imagine these are big so if you need any details from them perhaps you would like to give me a filter so you only get the bits you need.

You'll need to look for entries matching the date and approximate time
when you did the update. In those logs dates are in the format
yyyy-mm-dd and times are hh:mm:ss in 24-hour time. Then we're interested
in installation or updates to packages which started with "linux-".
Though if the problems only started happening after the upgrade to 14.04
I doubt that this information is going to tell us much more.

@ 2014-09-15 17:23   ` Arend van Spriel
From: Arend van Spriel @ 2014-09-15 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seth Forshee; +Cc: Marc & Karen Vincent, linux-wireless, brcm80211-dev-list

On 09/15/14 17:49, Seth Forshee wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> This is the link to the 'module to use/blacklist' answer which seemed to summarise what everyone was saying https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx#Known_Issues
>>
>> I have taken copies of the log files for the system updates completed in the week prior to, and including, the LTS Ubuntu upgrade. As you can imagine these are big so if you need any details from them perhaps you would like to give me a filter so you only get the bits you need.
>
> You'll need to look for entries matching the date and approximate time
> when you did the update. In those logs dates are in the format
> yyyy-mm-dd and times are hh:mm:ss in 24-hour time. Then we're interested
> in installation or updates to packages which started with "linux-".
> Though if the problems only started happening after the upgrade to 14.04
> I doubt that this information is going to tell us much more.

Agree. I actually wanted the log to be sure it involves brcmsmac and not
bcmwl or b43 claiming the device. I also understood that the problems
started before the release upgrade. If it happened between two 12.04
upgrades it would be between kernel 3.2.x and 3.2.y, which would greatly
narrow down the possible root causes.

The bcma output at least gives me some details about the device, but I
need a bit more. Could you dump a file located in debugfs and sent me
the output. Here is the command to type:

$ cat /sys/kernel/debug/brcmsmac/bcma*/hardware

Regards,
Arend

@ 2014-09-23 12:53 ` Arend van Spriel
From: Arend van Spriel @ 2014-09-23 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc & Karen Vincent; +Cc: seth.forshee, linux-wireless, brcm80211-dev-list

On 09/15/14 16:54, Marc & Karen Vincent wrote:
> HelloSeth and Arend,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
>
> I hope that this gives some pointers -
>
>     * dmesg output attached as requested. The lines 30.649061 and
>       30.649285 (ref brcms) appear as error messages on the screen
>       during the boot process. The line 23.809659 seems to confirm the
>       presence of the brcms and bcma modules
>     *  From a check back through the system logs Linux updated on Friday
>       12th after which the wireless failed, it was with the same
>       3.13.0.xx that the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS upgrade installed on Saturday 13th
>     *  From the logs of the Saturday 13th upgrade the previous version
>       of Linux appears to have been 3.2.0.68.81 and wireless had
>       definitely worked without modifications prior to this. Also, no
>       attempt was made to fix the wireless BEFORE the LTS Ubuntu upgrade
>       (wired), which incidentally was from 12.04 LTS and was problem free
>     * Purging of bcmwl-kernel-source package was recommended on the
>       majority of the Ubuntu forum solutions to ensure unwanted modules
>       were not present and conflicting. I am not aware of it being active
>     * This is the link for the contents of the package linux firmware
>       nonfree which should provide the information re the drivers that
>       are being installed through it
>       http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/kernel/linux-firmware-nonfree
>     * This is the link to the 'module to use/blacklist' answer which
>       seemed to summarise what everyone was saying
>       https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx#Known_Issues
>
> I have taken copies of the log files for the system updates completed in
> the week prior to, and including, the LTS Ubuntu upgrade. As you can
> imagine these are big so if you need any details from them perhaps you
> would like to give me a filter so you only get the bits you need.
>
> Many thanks for looking into this. Hopefully it will be obvious to you
> what changed!

 From your dotted list above I can only conclude that is worked with
3.2.x and started failing with 3.13.x. I think I also asked for debugfs
information. Can you run the following command and provide output to me:

$ cat /sys/kernel/debug/brcmsmac/*/hardware

Regards,
Arend

@ 2014-09-15 11:41   ` Seth Forshee
From: Seth Forshee @ 2014-09-15 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)