* FIX Me in pgtable.h
@ 2014-09-23 13:04 ` nick
From: nick @ 2014-09-23 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux
  Cc: will.deacon, lauraa, steve.capper, steve.capper,
	linux-arm-kernel, linux-kernel

Greetings Arm Maintainers,
I am wondering about the fix me in pgtable.h for define kern_addr_valid and how to set it to a correct
value as you state that this needs to be fixed as the defined macro is still 1. This is probably incorrect
and should be changed.
Thanks,
Nick

* FIX Me in pgtable.h
@ 2014-09-23 13:04 ` nick
From: nick @ 2014-09-23 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Greetings Arm Maintainers,
I am wondering about the fix me in pgtable.h for define kern_addr_valid and how to set it to a correct
value as you state that this needs to be fixed as the defined macro is still 1. This is probably incorrect
and should be changed.
Thanks,
Nick

* Re: FIX Me in pgtable.h
@ 2014-09-23 13:46   ` Krzysztof Kozłowski
From: Krzysztof Kozłowski @ 2014-09-23 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nick, linux
  Cc: lauraa, steve.capper, will.deacon, linux-kernel, steve.capper,
	linux-arm-kernel

On 23.09.2014 15:04, nick wrote:
> Greetings Arm Maintainers,
> I am wondering about the fix me in pgtable.h for define kern_addr_valid and how to set it to a correct
> value as you state that this needs to be fixed as the defined macro is still 1. This is probably incorrect
> and should be changed.

Dear Nick Krause,

Before you start coding - do you have necessary ARM-based hardware to
test your changes?

Changing email won't remove LKML archives...

Best regards,
Krzysztof

From: Krzysztof Kozłowski @ 2014-09-23 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2014-09-23 15:30     ` Nicholas Krause
From: Nicholas Krause @ 2014-09-23 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krzysztof Kozłowski
  Cc: linux, Laura Abbott, steve.capper, will.deacon,
	julia.lawall@lip6.fr oneukum@suse.de, Steve Capper,
	linux-arm-kernel

I don't have any hardware to test this over, however I can emulate a
arm system over qemu if needed.
I was just trying to help out if we need hardware I can't test and
again I am sorry for the terrible patches.
It was never my goal to be a nuisance.
Nick

From: Nicholas Krause @ 2014-09-23 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

I don't have any hardware to test this over, however I can emulate a
arm system over qemu if needed.
I was just trying to help out if we need hardware I can't test and
again I am sorry for the terrible patches.
It was never my goal to be a nuisance.
Nick
On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 9:46 AM, Krzysztof Koz?owski
<k.kozlowski@samsung.com> wrote:
> On 23.09.2014 15:04, nick wrote:
>>
>> Greetings Arm Maintainers,
>> I am wondering about the fix me in pgtable.h for define kern_addr_valid
>> and how to set it to a correct
>> value as you state that this needs to be fixed as the defined macro is
>> still 1. This is probably incorrect
>> and should be changed.
>

> Dear Nick Krause,
>
> Before you start coding - do you have necessary ARM-based hardware to test
> your changes?
>
> Changing email won't remove LKML archives...
>
> Best regards,
> Krzysztof

* Re: FIX Me in pgtable.h
@ 2014-09-24  3:21   ` Laura Abbott
From: Laura Abbott @ 2014-09-24  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nick, linux
  Cc: steve.capper, will.deacon, linux-kernel, steve.capper, linux-arm-kernel

On 9/23/2014 6:04 AM, nick wrote:
> Greetings Arm Maintainers,
> I am wondering about the fix me in pgtable.h for define kern_addr_valid and how to set it to a correct
> value as you state that this needs to be fixed as the defined macro is still 1. This is probably incorrect
> and should be changed.
> Thanks,
> Nick

It's not clear to me how valuable fixing kern_addr_valid would actually
be for arm. It seems to be used in exactly one place, fs/proc/kcore.c
and the associated Kconfig is explicitly marked if !ARM. Nearly all
other archs minus x86, arm64 and sparc are in the same boat as well.

Thanks,
Laura

--
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora
Forum, hosted by The Linux Foundation

* FIX Me in pgtable.h
@ 2014-09-24  3:21   ` Laura Abbott
From: Laura Abbott @ 2014-09-24  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2014-09-24 11:38     ` nick
From: nick @ 2014-09-24 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Abbott, linux
  Cc: steve.capper, will.deacon, linux-kernel, steve.capper, linux-arm-kernel

On 14-09-23 11:21 PM, Laura Abbott wrote:
> On 9/23/2014 6:04 AM, nick wrote:
>> Greetings Arm Maintainers,
>> I am wondering about the fix me in pgtable.h for define kern_addr_valid and how to set it to a correct
>> value as you state that this needs to be fixed as the defined macro is still 1. This is probably incorrect
>> and should be changed.
>> Thanks,
>> Nick
>>

> It's not clear to me how valuable fixing kern_addr_valid would actually
> be for arm. It seems to be used in exactly one place, fs/proc/kcore.c
> and the associated Kconfig is explicitly marked if !ARM. Nearly all
> other archs minus x86, arm64 and sparc are in the same boat as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Laura

Laura,
Can we remove it then as it seems that it's not needed at all.
Cheers Nick

* FIX Me in pgtable.h
@ 2014-09-24 11:38     ` nick
From: nick @ 2014-09-24 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2014-07-12  5:41 ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-07-12  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell King - ARM Linux
  Cc: will.deacon, steve.capper, christoffer.dall, lauraa,
	linux-arm-kernel, linux-kernel

There is a fix me message I am hitting with cscope on line 317 of this
file about  #define kern_addr_valid(addr)   (1) not being correct.
I am wondering what value this should be set to. Thanks for the advice
so I can remove this fix me from the kernel.
Cheers Nick

* FIX ME in pgtable.h
@ 2014-07-12  5:41 ` Nick Krause