* QEMU with KVM does not start Win8 on kernel 3.4.67 and core2duo
@ 2014-08-06 11:19 ` Erik Rull
From: Erik Rull @ 2014-08-06 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm, qemu-devel

Hi all,

I did already several tests and I'm not completely sure what's going wrong, but
here my scenario:

When I start up QEMU w/ KVM 1.7.0 on a Core2Duo machine running a vanilla kernel
3.4.67 to run a Windows 8.0 guest, the guest freezes at boot without any error.
When I dump the CPU registers via "info registers", nothing changes, that means
the system really stalled. Same happens with QEMU 2.0.0.

But - when I run the very same guest using Kernel 2.6.32.12 and QEMU 1.7.0 on
the host side it works on the Core2Duo. Also the system above but just with an
i3 or i5 CPU it works, too.

I already disabled networking and USB for the guest and changed the graphics
card - no effect. I assume that some mean bits and bytes have to be set up
properly to get the thing running.

Any hint what to change / test would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Erik

* [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KVM does not start Win8 on kernel 3.4.67 and core2duo
@ 2014-08-06 11:19 ` Erik Rull
From: Erik Rull @ 2014-08-06 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm, qemu-devel

[...]

* Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KVM does not start Win8 on kernel 3.4.67 and core2duo
  (?)
@ 2014-09-11 13:25 ` Erik Rull
From: Erik Rull @ 2014-09-11 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm; +Cc: Jan Kiszka

> On August 6, 2014 at 1:19 PM Erik Rull <erik.rull@rdsoftware.de> wrote:
>

> Hi all,
>
> I did already several tests and I'm not completely sure what's going wrong,
> but
> here my scenario:
>
> When I start up QEMU w/ KVM 1.7.0 on a Core2Duo machine running a vanilla
> kernel
> 3.4.67 to run a Windows 8.0 guest, the guest freezes at boot without any
> error.
> When I dump the CPU registers via "info registers", nothing changes, that
> means
> the system really stalled. Same happens with QEMU 2.0.0.
>
> But - when I run the very same guest using Kernel 2.6.32.12 and QEMU 1.7.0 on
> the host side it works on the Core2Duo. Also the system above but just with an
> i3 or i5 CPU it works, too.
>
> I already disabled networking and USB for the guest and changed the graphics
> card - no effect. I assume that some mean bits and bytes have to be set up
> properly to get the thing running.
>
> Any hint what to change / test would be really appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Best regards,
>
> Erik

Hi all,

I opened a qemu bug report on that and Jan helped me creating a kvm trace. I
attached it to the bug report.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/1366836

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks.

@ 2014-09-11 13:32   ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2014-09-11 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Rull, kvm

On 2014-09-11 15:25, Erik Rull wrote:
>> On August 6, 2014 at 1:19 PM Erik Rull <erik.rull@rdsoftware.de> wrote:
>>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I did already several tests and I'm not completely sure what's going wrong,
>> but
>> here my scenario:
>>
>> When I start up QEMU w/ KVM 1.7.0 on a Core2Duo machine running a vanilla
>> kernel
>> 3.4.67 to run a Windows 8.0 guest, the guest freezes at boot without any
>> error.
>> When I dump the CPU registers via "info registers", nothing changes, that
>> means
>> the system really stalled. Same happens with QEMU 2.0.0.
>>
>> But - when I run the very same guest using Kernel 2.6.32.12 and QEMU 1.7.0 on
>> the host side it works on the Core2Duo. Also the system above but just with an
>> i3 or i5 CPU it works, too.
>>
>> I already disabled networking and USB for the guest and changed the graphics
>> card - no effect. I assume that some mean bits and bytes have to be set up
>> properly to get the thing running.
>>
>> Any hint what to change / test would be really appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Erik
>>

> Hi all,
>
> I opened a qemu bug report on that and Jan helped me creating a kvm trace. I
> attached it to the bug report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/1366836
>
> If you have further questions, please let me know.

"File possibly truncated. Need at least 346583040, but file size is
133414912."

Does "trace-cmd report" work for you? Is your file larger?

Again, please also validate the behavior on latest next branch from kvm.git.

Jan

* Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KVM does not start Win8 on kernel 3.4.67 and core2duo
@ 2014-09-11 14:13     ` Erik Rull
From: Erik Rull @ 2014-09-11 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, kvm

> On September 11, 2014 at 3:32 PM Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com> wrote:
>

> On 2014-09-11 15:25, Erik Rull wrote:
> >> On August 6, 2014 at 1:19 PM Erik Rull <erik.rull@rdsoftware.de> wrote:
> >>

> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I did already several tests and I'm not completely sure what's going wrong,
> >> but
> >> here my scenario:
> >>
> >> When I start up QEMU w/ KVM 1.7.0 on a Core2Duo machine running a vanilla
> >> kernel
> >> 3.4.67 to run a Windows 8.0 guest, the guest freezes at boot without any
> >> error.
> >> When I dump the CPU registers via "info registers", nothing changes, that
> >> means
> >> the system really stalled. Same happens with QEMU 2.0.0.
> >>
> >> But - when I run the very same guest using Kernel 2.6.32.12 and QEMU 1.7.0
> >> on
> >> the host side it works on the Core2Duo. Also the system above but just with
> >> an
> >> i3 or i5 CPU it works, too.
> >>
> >> I already disabled networking and USB for the guest and changed the
> >> graphics
> >> card - no effect. I assume that some mean bits and bytes have to be set up
> >> properly to get the thing running.
> >>
> >> Any hint what to change / test would be really appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >>
> >> Erik
> >>

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I opened a qemu bug report on that and Jan helped me creating a kvm trace. I
> > attached it to the bug report.
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/1366836
> >
> > If you have further questions, please let me know.
>
> "File possibly truncated. Need at least 346583040, but file size is
> 133414912."
>
> Does "trace-cmd report" work for you? Is your file larger?
>
> Again, please also validate the behavior on latest next branch from kvm.git.
>
> Jan

Sorry for the corrupt file, didn't work on my side as well. I re-captured the
trace (trace-cmd report worked!) and posted it on the bugtracker. The kvm.git
test is in progress, my build system is already busy.

@ 2014-09-12 12:29     ` Erik Rull
From: Erik Rull @ 2014-09-12 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, kvm

> On September 11, 2014 at 3:32 PM Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com> wrote:
>

> On 2014-09-11 15:25, Erik Rull wrote:
> >> On August 6, 2014 at 1:19 PM Erik Rull <erik.rull@rdsoftware.de> wrote:
> >>

> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I did already several tests and I'm not completely sure what's going wrong,
> >> but
> >> here my scenario:
> >>
> >> When I start up QEMU w/ KVM 1.7.0 on a Core2Duo machine running a vanilla
> >> kernel
> >> 3.4.67 to run a Windows 8.0 guest, the guest freezes at boot without any
> >> error.
> >> When I dump the CPU registers via "info registers", nothing changes, that
> >> means
> >> the system really stalled. Same happens with QEMU 2.0.0.
> >>
> >> But - when I run the very same guest using Kernel 2.6.32.12 and QEMU 1.7.0
> >> on
> >> the host side it works on the Core2Duo. Also the system above but just with
> >> an
> >> i3 or i5 CPU it works, too.
> >>
> >> I already disabled networking and USB for the guest and changed the
> >> graphics
> >> card - no effect. I assume that some mean bits and bytes have to be set up
> >> properly to get the thing running.
> >>
> >> Any hint what to change / test would be really appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >>
> >> Erik
> >>

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I opened a qemu bug report on that and Jan helped me creating a kvm trace. I
> > attached it to the bug report.
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/1366836
> >
> > If you have further questions, please let me know.
>
> "File possibly truncated. Need at least 346583040, but file size is
> 133414912."
>
> Does "trace-cmd report" work for you? Is your file larger?
>
> Again, please also validate the behavior on latest next branch from kvm.git.
>
> Jan

Hi all,

confirmed. The issue is still existing in the kvm.git Version of the kernel.
The trace.tgz was uploaded to the bugtracker.

@ 2014-09-12 17:15       ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2014-09-12 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Rull, kvm

On 2014-09-12 14:29, Erik Rull wrote:

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I opened a qemu bug report on that and Jan helped me creating a kvm trace. I
>>> attached it to the bug report.
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/1366836
>>>
>>> If you have further questions, please let me know.
>>
>> "File possibly truncated. Need at least 346583040, but file size is
>> 133414912."
>>
>> Does "trace-cmd report" work for you? Is your file larger?
>>
>> Again, please also validate the behavior on latest next branch from kvm.git.
>>
>> Jan
>>

> Hi all,
>
> confirmed. The issue is still existing in the kvm.git Version of the kernel.
> The trace.tgz was uploaded to the bugtracker.

Thanks. Could you provide a good-case of your setup as well, i.e. with
that older kernel version? At least I'm not yet seeing something
obviously wrong.

Jan

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RTC ITP SES-DE

* Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KVM does not start Win8 on kernel 3.4.67 and core2duo
@ 2014-09-12 17:29         ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2014-09-12 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Rull, kvm

On 2014-09-12 19:15, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2014-09-12 14:29, Erik Rull wrote:

>>> "File possibly truncated. Need at least 346583040, but file size is
>>> 133414912."
>>>
>>> Does "trace-cmd report" work for you? Is your file larger?
>>>
>>> Again, please also validate the behavior on latest next branch from kvm.git.
>>>
>>> Jan
>>>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> confirmed. The issue is still existing in the kvm.git Version of the kernel.
>> The trace.tgz was uploaded to the bugtracker.
>
> Thanks. Could you provide a good-case of your setup as well, i.e. with
> that older kernel version? At least I'm not yet seeing something
> obviously wrong.

Well, except that we have continuously EXTERNAL_INTERRUPTs, vector 0xf6,
throughout most of the trace. Maybe a self-IPI (this is single-core),
maybe something external that is stuck. You could do a full trace (-e
all) and check for what happens after things like

kvm_exit: reason EXTERNAL_INTERRUPT rip 0x8168ed83 info 0 800000ef

Jan

--

@ 2014-09-15 10:48           ` Erik Rull
From: Erik Rull @ 2014-09-15 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, kvm

> On September 12, 2014 at 7:29 PM Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com> wrote:

> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> confirmed. The issue is still existing in the kvm.git Version of the
> >> kernel.
> >> The trace.tgz was uploaded to the bugtracker.
> >
> > Thanks. Could you provide a good-case of your setup as well, i.e. with
> > that older kernel version? At least I'm not yet seeing something
> > obviously wrong.
>
> Well, except that we have continuously EXTERNAL_INTERRUPTs, vector 0xf6,
> throughout most of the trace. Maybe a self-IPI (this is single-core),
> maybe something external that is stuck. You could do a full trace (-e
> all) and check for what happens after things like
>
> kvm_exit: reason EXTERNAL_INTERRUPT rip 0x8168ed83 info 0 800000ef
>
> Jan

I captured the trace log (-e all) and uploaded it to the bug tracker. I was not
yet able to get trace-cmd running for my old 2.6.32.12 kernel, as soon as I get
it working, I'll send the -e all trace.

@ 2014-09-15 11:03             ` Erik Rull
From: Erik Rull @ 2014-09-15 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, kvm

> On September 15, 2014 at 12:48 PM Erik Rull <erik.rull@rdsoftware.de> wrote:
>

> > On September 12, 2014 at 7:29 PM Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com> wrote:

> > > Thanks. Could you provide a good-case of your setup as well, i.e. with
> > > that older kernel version? At least I'm not yet seeing something
> > > obviously wrong.
> >
> > Well, except that we have continuously EXTERNAL_INTERRUPTs, vector 0xf6,
> > throughout most of the trace. Maybe a self-IPI (this is single-core),
> > maybe something external that is stuck. You could do a full trace (-e
> > all) and check for what happens after things like
> >
> > kvm_exit: reason EXTERNAL_INTERRUPT rip 0x8168ed83 info 0 800000ef
> >
> > Jan
> >

> I captured the trace log (-e all) and uploaded it to the bug tracker. I was
> not
> yet able to get trace-cmd running for my old 2.6.32.12 kernel, as soon as I
> get
> it working, I'll send the -e all trace.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Erik

The splice command is not available before glibc-2.5 in userspace, but my old
system runs on glibc-2.3.6, so trace-cmd will never compile and run there, sorry
:-(

@ 2014-09-16 10:06           ` Erik Rull
From: Erik Rull @ 2014-09-16 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, kvm

> On September 12, 2014 at 7:29 PM Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com> wrote:

> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> confirmed. The issue is still existing in the kvm.git Version of the
> >> kernel.
> >> The trace.tgz was uploaded to the bugtracker.
> >
> > Thanks. Could you provide a good-case of your setup as well, i.e. with
> > that older kernel version? At least I'm not yet seeing something
> > obviously wrong.
>
> Well, except that we have continuously EXTERNAL_INTERRUPTs, vector 0xf6,
> throughout most of the trace. Maybe a self-IPI (this is single-core),
> maybe something external that is stuck. You could do a full trace (-e
> all) and check for what happens after things like
>
> kvm_exit: reason EXTERNAL_INTERRUPT rip 0x8168ed83 info 0 800000ef
>
> Jan

The huge number of interrupts seem to be rescheduling interrupts from qemu/kvm.
I disabled SMP (kernel cmdline "nosmp") and retried - same effect, Windows 8
does not boot.
But I was able to get rid of the reschedulding interrupts. The trace after /
around a kvm_exit looks like this:

 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.227405: kvm_entry:            vcpu 0
 qemu-system-x86-952   [000] 261013.227405: kmem_cache_free:
call_site=c10ef001 ptr=0xf1d2ae48
 qemu-system-x86-952   [000] 261013.227406: mm_filemap_delete_from_page_cache:
dev 0:3 ino 0 page=0xf5bcc9c0 pfn=4122790336 ofs=507641856
 qemu-system-x86-952   [000] 261013.227406: kmem_cache_free:
call_site=c10ef001 ptr=0xf1d2ae10
 qemu-system-x86-952   [000] 261013.227406: mm_filemap_delete_from_page_cache:
dev 0:3 ino 0 page=0xf5bcc9e0 pfn=4122790368 ofs=507645952
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.227406: kvm_exit:             reason
EXCEPTION_NMI rip 0x812a1d83 info 80201120 80000b0e
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.227407: kvm_page_fault:       address
80201120 error_code 3
 qemu-system-x86-952   [000] 261013.227407: mm_page_free_batched:
page=0xf5bcc9e0 pfn=4122790368 order=0 cold=0
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.227407: kvm_mmu_pagetable_walk: addr
80201120 pferr 3 P|W
 qemu-system-x86-952   [000] 261013.227407: mm_page_free:
 page=0xf5bcc9e0 pfn=4122790368 order=0
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.227407: kvm_mmu_paging_element: pte 188001
level 3
 qemu-system-x86-952   [000] 261013.227407: mm_page_free_batched:
page=0xf5bcc9c0 pfn=4122790336 order=0 cold=0
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.227407: kvm_mmu_paging_element: pte 39b863
level 2

or

 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276282: kvm_mmu_paging_element: pte 188001
level 3
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276283: kvm_mmu_paging_element: pte 39b863
level 2
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276283: kvm_mmu_paging_element: pte
8000000000188963 level 1
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276284: rcu_utilization:      Start context
switch
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276284: rcu_utilization:      End context
switch
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276284: kvm_entry:            vcpu 0
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276285: kvm_exit:             reason
EXCEPTION_NMI rip 0x812a1d83 info 80201120 80000b0e
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276286: kvm_page_fault:       address
80201120 error_code 3
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276286: kvm_mmu_pagetable_walk: addr
80201120 pferr 3 P|W
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276286: kvm_mmu_paging_element: pte 188001
level 3
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276287: kvm_mmu_paging_element: pte 39b863
level 2
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276287: kvm_mmu_paging_element: pte
8000000000188963 level 1
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276288: kvm_mmu_pagetable_walk: addr
812a1d83 pferr 10 F
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276289: kvm_mmu_paging_element: pte 188001
level 3
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276289: kvm_mmu_paging_element: pte 387063
level 2
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276289: kvm_mmu_paging_element: pte 24a1121
level 1
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276290: kvm_emulate_insn:     0:812a1d83:f0
0f c7 0f (prot32)
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276290: kvm_mmu_pagetable_walk: addr
80201120 pferr 0
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276290: kvm_mmu_paging_element: pte 188001
level 3
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276291: kvm_mmu_paging_element: pte 39b863
level 2
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276291: kvm_mmu_paging_element: pte
8000000000188963 level 1
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276291: kvm_mmu_pagetable_walk: addr
80201120 pferr 2 W
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276291: kvm_mmu_paging_element: pte 188001
level 3
 qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276292: kvm_mmu_paging_element: pte 39b863
level 2

Most of the exit reasons are NMIs. When filtering them out there are only few
external interrupts, a lot of IO_INSTRUCTION, some CPUID.

Is there a chance to catch the point where the virtual processor gets stuck?

@ 2014-10-03 17:54             ` Erik Rull
From: Erik Rull @ 2014-10-03 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, kvm

Erik Rull wrote:
> [...]
> level 3
>   qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276291: kvm_mmu_paging_element: pte 39b863
> level 2
>   qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276291: kvm_mmu_paging_element: pte
> 8000000000188963 level 1
>   qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276291: kvm_mmu_pagetable_walk: addr
> 80201120 pferr 2 W
>   qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276291: kvm_mmu_paging_element: pte 188001
> level 3
>   qemu-system-x86-954   [001] 261013.276292: kvm_mmu_paging_element: pte 39b863
> level 2
>
> Most of the exit reasons are NMIs. When filtering them out there are only few
> external interrupts, a lot of IO_INSTRUCTION, some CPUID.
>
> Is there a chance to catch the point where the virtual processor gets stuck?

Hi all,

I'm still stuck at the same point - I would like to proceed my work but I
need assistance by getting an evaluation result on the trace files I posted.
It's getting a bit more time critical now on my side, because updates for ~
100 systems worldwide have to be rolled out within the next weeks...

Thanks a lot.

@ 2014-10-14 20:43               ` Erik Rull
From: Erik Rull @ 2014-10-14 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, kvm

Hi Jan,

I still need assistance on my problem. Please have a look at the trace
files and send me some hints to look for in the next step.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Erik