* uas: module not loaded automatically
@ 2014-10-04 18:35 Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2014-10-04 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

my Delock external USB drive stopped working after updating from a
UAS-disabled distro kernel to latest 3.17-rc7 with UAS on. That UAS was
key became clear to me only after looking at storage_probe(): the device
is ignored by usb-storage if it is UAS-capable. However, nothing causes
uas.ko to be loaded when the drive is plugged here. How is this supposed
to work in the normal case?

lsusb of the device below.

Jan

---

Bus 001 Device 009: ID 174c:5136 ASMedia Technology Inc.
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.10
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x174c ASMedia Technology Inc.
  idProduct          0x5136
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           2 Delock
  iProduct                3 42514
  iSerial                 1 200000000CB4
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           85
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xc0
      Self Powered
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
      bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk-Only
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       1
      bNumEndpoints           4
      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
      bInterfaceProtocol     98
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
        Data-in pipe (0x03)
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
        Data-out pipe (0x04)
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
        Status pipe (0x02)
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x04  EP 4 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
        Command pipe (0x01)
Binary Object Store Descriptor:
  bLength                 5
  bDescriptorType        15
  wTotalLength           22
  bNumDeviceCaps          2
  USB 2.0 Extension Device Capability:
    bLength                 7
    bDescriptorType        16
    bDevCapabilityType      2
    bmAttributes   0x00000002
      Link Power Management (LPM) Supported
  SuperSpeed USB Device Capability:
    bLength                10
    bDescriptorType        16
    bDevCapabilityType      3
    bmAttributes         0x00
    wSpeedsSupported   0x000e
      Device can operate at Full Speed (12Mbps)
      Device can operate at High Speed (480Mbps)
      Device can operate at SuperSpeed (5Gbps)
    bFunctionalitySupport   1
      Lowest fully-functional device speed is Full Speed (12Mbps)
    bU1DevExitLat          10 micro seconds
    bU2DevExitLat        2047 micro seconds
Device Status:     0x0001
  Self Powered

* Re: uas: module not loaded automatically
@ 2014-10-05  9:08 ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2014-10-05  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/04/2014 08:35 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my Delock external USB drive stopped working after updating from a
> UAS-disabled distro kernel to latest 3.17-rc7 with UAS on. That UAS was
> key became clear to me only after looking at storage_probe(): the device
> is ignored by usb-storage if it is UAS-capable. However, nothing causes
> uas.ko to be loaded when the drive is plugged here. How is this supposed
> to work in the normal case?

Is the uas.ko module installed, and was depmod run after installing it ?

uas.c has the following:

        { USB_INTERFACE_INFO(USB_CLASS_MASS_STORAGE, USB_SC_SCSI, USB_PR_BULK) },
        { USB_INTERFACE_INFO(USB_CLASS_MASS_STORAGE, USB_SC_SCSI, USB_PR_UAS) },

Which should make it load automatically on your device.

Regards,

Hans

@ 2014-10-05  9:14   ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2014-10-05  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-10-05 11:08, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/04/2014 08:35 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> my Delock external USB drive stopped working after updating from a
>> UAS-disabled distro kernel to latest 3.17-rc7 with UAS on. That UAS was
>> key became clear to me only after looking at storage_probe(): the device
>> is ignored by usb-storage if it is UAS-capable. However, nothing causes
>> uas.ko to be loaded when the drive is plugged here. How is this supposed
>> to work in the normal case?
>
> Is the uas.ko module installed, and was depmod run after installing it ?

Definitely. Just retried after another depmod -a, and only modprobe uas
made it work.

> uas.c has the following:
>
>         { USB_INTERFACE_INFO(USB_CLASS_MASS_STORAGE, USB_SC_SCSI, USB_PR_BULK) },
>         { USB_INTERFACE_INFO(USB_CLASS_MASS_STORAGE, USB_SC_SCSI, USB_PR_UAS) },
>
> Which should make it load automatically on your device.

Should this match with what lsusb -v reports for the device? I have no
reference to a device with working UAS-probe.

Jan

@ 2014-10-05  9:23     ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2014-10-05  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/05/2014 11:14 AM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2014-10-05 11:08, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 10/04/2014 08:35 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> my Delock external USB drive stopped working after updating from a
>>> UAS-disabled distro kernel to latest 3.17-rc7 with UAS on. That UAS was
>>> key became clear to me only after looking at storage_probe(): the device
>>> is ignored by usb-storage if it is UAS-capable. However, nothing causes
>>> uas.ko to be loaded when the drive is plugged here. How is this supposed
>>> to work in the normal case?
>>
>> Is the uas.ko module installed, and was depmod run after installing it ?
>
> Definitely. Just retried after another depmod -a, and only modprobe uas
> made it work.
>

>> uas.c has the following:
>>
>>         { USB_INTERFACE_INFO(USB_CLASS_MASS_STORAGE, USB_SC_SCSI, USB_PR_BULK) },
>>         { USB_INTERFACE_INFO(USB_CLASS_MASS_STORAGE, USB_SC_SCSI, USB_PR_UAS) },
>>
>> Which should make it load automatically on your device.
>
> Should this match with what lsusb -v reports for the device?

Yes, and it does, for both alt settings of your device:

      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
      bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk-Only

      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
      bInterfaceProtocol     98

Where 98 == USB_PR_UAS, seems you have an quite old lsusb if it does not
know that though. Could it be the rest of your userspace is old too, and is
not smart enough to load all matching drivers, instead only loading the first matching
driver (which happens to be usb-storage) ?

Regards,

Hans

* Re: uas: module not loaded automatically
@ 2014-10-05  9:31       ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2014-10-05  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-10-05 11:23, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/05/2014 11:14 AM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> On 2014-10-05 11:08, Hans de Goede wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Is the uas.ko module installed, and was depmod run after installing it ?
>>
>> Definitely. Just retried after another depmod -a, and only modprobe uas
>> made it work.
>>

>>> uas.c has the following:
>>>
>>>         { USB_INTERFACE_INFO(USB_CLASS_MASS_STORAGE, USB_SC_SCSI, USB_PR_BULK) },
>>>         { USB_INTERFACE_INFO(USB_CLASS_MASS_STORAGE, USB_SC_SCSI, USB_PR_UAS) },
>>>
>>> Which should make it load automatically on your device.
>>
>> Should this match with what lsusb -v reports for the device?
>
> Yes, and it does, for both alt settings of your device:
>
>       bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
>       bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
>       bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk-Only
>
>       bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
>       bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
>       bInterfaceProtocol     98
>
> Where 98 == USB_PR_UAS, seems you have an quite old lsusb if it does not

It says "007".

> know that though. Could it be the rest of your userspace is old too, and is
> not smart enough to load all matching drivers, instead only loading the first matching
> driver (which happens to be usb-storage) ?

OpenSUSE 13.1, all updates installed. Which components are involved?
udev - Version 208? Below is the udevadm monitor output.

Jan

PS: Let me know if I should carry this to a different list.

KERNEL[33578.169824] add      /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb2/2-2 (usb)
ACTION=add
BUSNUM=002
DEVNAME=/dev/bus/usb/002/008
DEVNUM=008
DEVPATH=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb2/2-2
DEVTYPE=usb_device
MAJOR=189
MINOR=135
PRODUCT=174c/5136/100
SEQNUM=3702
SUBSYSTEM=usb
TYPE=0/0/0

KERNEL[33578.170171] add      /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0 (usb)
ACTION=add
DEVPATH=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0
DEVTYPE=usb_interface
INTERFACE=8/6/80
MODALIAS=usb:v174Cp5136d0100dc00dsc00dp00ic08isc06ip50in00
PRODUCT=174c/5136/100
SEQNUM=3703
SUBSYSTEM=usb
TYPE=0/0/0

UDEV  [33578.171899] add      /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb2/2-2 (usb)
ACTION=add
BUSNUM=002
DEVNAME=/dev/bus/usb/002/008
DEVNUM=008
DEVPATH=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb2/2-2
DEVTYPE=usb_device
ID_BUS=usb
ID_MODEL=42514
ID_MODEL_ENC=42514
ID_MODEL_ID=5136
ID_REVISION=0100
ID_SERIAL=Delock_42514_200000000CB4
ID_SERIAL_SHORT=200000000CB4
ID_USB_INTERFACES=:080650:080662:
ID_VENDOR=Delock
ID_VENDOR_ENC=Delock
ID_VENDOR_FROM_DATABASE=ASMedia Technology Inc.
ID_VENDOR_ID=174c
MAJOR=189
MINOR=135
PRODUCT=174c/5136/100
SEQNUM=3702
SUBSYSTEM=usb
TYPE=0/0/0
USEC_INITIALIZED=578169821

KERNEL[33578.173903] add      /module/usb_storage (module)
ACTION=add
DEVPATH=/module/usb_storage
SEQNUM=3704
SUBSYSTEM=module

KERNEL[33578.174036] add      /bus/usb/drivers/usb-storage (drivers)
ACTION=add
DEVPATH=/bus/usb/drivers/usb-storage
SEQNUM=3705
SUBSYSTEM=drivers

UDEV  [33578.174093] add      /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0 (usb)
ACTION=add
DEVPATH=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0
DEVTYPE=usb_interface
ID_VENDOR_FROM_DATABASE=ASMedia Technology Inc.
INTERFACE=8/6/80
MODALIAS=usb:v174Cp5136d0100dc00dsc00dp00ic08isc06ip50in00
PRODUCT=174c/5136/100
SEQNUM=3703
SUBSYSTEM=usb
TYPE=0/0/0
USEC_INITIALIZED=8170188

UDEV  [33578.174319] add      /module/usb_storage (module)
ACTION=add
DEVPATH=/module/usb_storage
SEQNUM=3704
SUBSYSTEM=module
USEC_INITIALIZED=578173906

UDEV  [33578.174448] add      /bus/usb/drivers/usb-storage (drivers)
ACTION=add
DEVPATH=/bus/usb/drivers/usb-storage
SEQNUM=3705
SUBSYSTEM=drivers
USEC_INITIALIZED=578174131

* Re: uas: module not loaded automatically
@ 2014-10-05  9:43         ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2014-10-05  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/05/2014 11:31 AM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2014-10-05 11:23, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> Definitely. Just retried after another depmod -a, and only modprobe uas
>>> made it work.

>>> Should this match with what lsusb -v reports for the device?
>>
>> Yes, and it does, for both alt settings of your device:
>>
>>       bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
>>       bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
>>       bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk-Only
>>
>>       bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
>>       bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
>>       bInterfaceProtocol     98
>>
>> Where 98 == USB_PR_UAS, seems you have an quite old lsusb if it does not
>
> It says "007".
>
>> know that though. Could it be the rest of your userspace is old too, and is
>> not smart enough to load all matching drivers, instead only loading the first matching
>> driver (which happens to be usb-storage) ?
>
> OpenSUSE 13.1, all updates installed. Which components are involved?
> udev - Version 208? Below is the udevadm monitor output.

Hmm, that is not all that old, I would expect that to work.

Here is how things "work" on my system:

[hans@shalem ~]$ lsmod | grep uas
uas                    22414  0
usb_storage            65065  1 uas
[hans@shalem ~]$ sudo rmmod uas
[hans@shalem ~]$ lsmod | grep uas
[hans@shalem ~]$ sudo modprobe usb:v174Cp5136d0100dc00dsc00dp00ic08isc06ip50in00
[hans@shalem ~]$ lsmod | grep uas
uas                    22414  0
usb_storage            65065  1 uas

So as you can see the modalias taken from your udev debug output causes
uas to get loaded, can you try the above ?

Also what does "modinfo uas" say? For me it says:

[hans@shalem ~]$ modinfo uas
filename:       /lib/modules/3.17.0-rc6+/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/uas.ko
author:         Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com>, Matthew Wilcox and Sarah Sharp
license:        GPL
alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc*dsc*dp*ic08isc06ip62in*
alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc*dsc*dp*ic08isc06ip50in*
alias:          usb:v174Cp5106d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
alias:          usb:v152Dp0567d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
alias:          usb:v0BC2pAB20d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
alias:          usb:v0BC2p3312d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
alias:          usb:v0BC2p2312d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
depends:        usb-storage
vermagic:       3.17.0-rc6+ SMP mod_unload
signer:         Magrathea: Glacier signing key
sig_key:        9B:56:00:B2:C4:97:8D:4A:A9:B3:0B:54:32:F7:B7:B2:2F:3E:FB:D8
sig_hashalgo:   sha256

Note the alias-es with vendor and product ids are from quirks, and your version
will likely not have these. But the first 2 generic ones should be there, and
match the modalias from the udev output.

Regards,

Hans

> PS: Let me know if I should carry this to a different list.

Maybe, first lets try to pinpoint the cause a bit better.

* Re: uas: module not loaded automatically
@ 2014-10-05  9:48           ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2014-10-05  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-10-05 11:43, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/05/2014 11:31 AM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> On 2014-10-05 11:23, Hans de Goede wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Yes, and it does, for both alt settings of your device:
>>>
>>>       bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
>>>       bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
>>>       bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk-Only
>>>
>>>       bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
>>>       bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
>>>       bInterfaceProtocol     98
>>>
>>> Where 98 == USB_PR_UAS, seems you have an quite old lsusb if it does not
>>
>> It says "007".
>>
>>> know that though. Could it be the rest of your userspace is old too, and is
>>> not smart enough to load all matching drivers, instead only loading the first matching
>>> driver (which happens to be usb-storage) ?
>>
>> OpenSUSE 13.1, all updates installed. Which components are involved?
>> udev - Version 208? Below is the udevadm monitor output.
>
> Hmm, that is not all that old, I would expect that to work.
>
> Here is how things "work" on my system:
>
> [hans@shalem ~]$ lsmod | grep uas
> uas                    22414  0
> usb_storage            65065  1 uas
> [hans@shalem ~]$ sudo rmmod uas
> [hans@shalem ~]$ lsmod | grep uas
> [hans@shalem ~]$ sudo modprobe usb:v174Cp5136d0100dc00dsc00dp00ic08isc06ip50in00
> [hans@shalem ~]$ lsmod | grep uas
> uas                    22414  0
> usb_storage            65065  1 uas
>
> So as you can see the modalias taken from your udev debug output causes
> uas to get loaded, can you try the above ?

That command sequence doesn't cause uas to be reloaded. Anything I need
to customize for my setup?

> Also what does "modinfo uas" say? For me it says:
>
> [hans@shalem ~]$ modinfo uas
> filename:       /lib/modules/3.17.0-rc6+/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/uas.ko
> author:         Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com>, Matthew Wilcox and Sarah Sharp
> license:        GPL
> alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc*dsc*dp*ic08isc06ip62in*
> alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc*dsc*dp*ic08isc06ip50in*
> alias:          usb:v174Cp5106d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
> alias:          usb:v152Dp0567d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
> alias:          usb:v0BC2pAB20d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
> alias:          usb:v0BC2p3312d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
> alias:          usb:v0BC2p2312d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
> depends:        usb-storage
> vermagic:       3.17.0-rc6+ SMP mod_unload
> signer:         Magrathea: Glacier signing key
> sig_key:        9B:56:00:B2:C4:97:8D:4A:A9:B3:0B:54:32:F7:B7:B2:2F:3E:FB:D8
> sig_hashalgo:   sha256
>
> Note the alias-es with vendor and product ids are from quirks, and your version
> will likely not have these. But the first 2 generic ones should be there, and
> match the modalias from the udev output.

filename:       /lib/modules/3.17.0-rc7-homebrewed+/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/uas.ko
author:         Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com>, Matthew Wilcox and Sarah Sharp
license:        GPL
srcversion:     597B27EF314ADC559827CBD
alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc*dsc*dp*ic08isc06ipAAin*
alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc*dsc*dp*ic08isc06ip62in*
alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc*dsc*dp*ic08isc06ip50in*
depends:        usb-storage
intree:         Y
vermagic:       3.17.0-rc7-homebrewed+ SMP preempt mod_unload modversions

Jan

* Re: uas: module not loaded automatically
@ 2014-10-05  9:54             ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2014-10-05  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/05/2014 11:48 AM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2014-10-05 11:43, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> It says "007".

>>> OpenSUSE 13.1, all updates installed. Which components are involved?
>>> udev - Version 208? Below is the udevadm monitor output.
>>
>> Hmm, that is not all that old, I would expect that to work.
>>
>> Here is how things "work" on my system:
>>
>> [hans@shalem ~]$ lsmod | grep uas
>> uas                    22414  0
>> usb_storage            65065  1 uas
>> [hans@shalem ~]$ sudo rmmod uas
>> [hans@shalem ~]$ lsmod | grep uas
>> [hans@shalem ~]$ sudo modprobe usb:v174Cp5136d0100dc00dsc00dp00ic08isc06ip50in00
>> [hans@shalem ~]$ lsmod | grep uas
>> uas                    22414  0
>> usb_storage            65065  1 uas
>>
>> So as you can see the modalias taken from your udev debug output causes
>> uas to get loaded, can you try the above ?
>
> That command sequence doesn't cause uas to be reloaded. Anything I need
> to customize for my setup?

Not that I know of, so this seems to be a modprobe issue, and this should
probably be taken to the relevant list for modprobe. Please put me in the CC
when you send a mail there, and you likely will want to include the output
of the above commands + the modinfo output for both uas and usb-storage.

>> Also what does "modinfo uas" say? For me it says:
>>
>> [hans@shalem ~]$ modinfo uas
>> filename:       /lib/modules/3.17.0-rc6+/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/uas.ko
>> author:         Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com>, Matthew Wilcox and Sarah Sharp
>> license:        GPL
>> alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc*dsc*dp*ic08isc06ip62in*
>> alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc*dsc*dp*ic08isc06ip50in*
>> alias:          usb:v174Cp5106d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
>> alias:          usb:v152Dp0567d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
>> alias:          usb:v0BC2pAB20d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
>> alias:          usb:v0BC2p3312d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
>> alias:          usb:v0BC2p2312d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
>> depends:        usb-storage
>> vermagic:       3.17.0-rc6+ SMP mod_unload
>> signer:         Magrathea: Glacier signing key
>> sig_key:        9B:56:00:B2:C4:97:8D:4A:A9:B3:0B:54:32:F7:B7:B2:2F:3E:FB:D8
>> sig_hashalgo:   sha256
>>
>> Note the alias-es with vendor and product ids are from quirks, and your version
>> will likely not have these. But the first 2 generic ones should be there, and
>> match the modalias from the udev output.
>
> filename:       /lib/modules/3.17.0-rc7-homebrewed+/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/uas.ko
> author:         Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com>, Matthew Wilcox and Sarah Sharp
> license:        GPL
> srcversion:     597B27EF314ADC559827CBD
> alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc*dsc*dp*ic08isc06ipAAin*
> alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc*dsc*dp*ic08isc06ip62in*
> alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc*dsc*dp*ic08isc06ip50in*
> depends:        usb-storage
> intree:         Y
> vermagic:       3.17.0-rc7-homebrewed+ SMP preempt mod_unload modversions

That looks good, so no idea why modprobe is not loading it.

Regards,

Hans

* uas module not loaded automatically
@ 2014-10-05 11:03               ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2014-10-05 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-modules; +Cc: Hans de Goede

Hi all,

I'm migrating this conversation over from LKML as it is probably a kmod
issue. I've just retried the scenario with kmod 18 (from OpenSUSE
Factory) and can still confirm it. Please see below for details.

On 2014-10-05 11:54, Hans de Goede wrote:
> [...]
>>> sig_hashalgo:   sha256
>>>
>>> Note the alias-es with vendor and product ids are from quirks, and your version
>>> will likely not have these. But the first 2 generic ones should be there, and
>>> match the modalias from the udev output.
>>
>> filename:       /lib/modules/3.17.0-rc7-homebrewed+/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/uas.ko
>> author:         Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com>, Matthew Wilcox and Sarah Sharp
>> license:        GPL
>> srcversion:     597B27EF314ADC559827CBD
>> alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc*dsc*dp*ic08isc06ipAAin*
>> alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc*dsc*dp*ic08isc06ip62in*
>> alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc*dsc*dp*ic08isc06ip50in*
>> depends:        usb-storage
>> intree:         Y
>> vermagic:       3.17.0-rc7-homebrewed+ SMP preempt mod_unload modversions
>
> That looks good, so no idea why modprobe is not loading it.

For reference, here is the lsusb -v of the device again (to prove that
it should match the alias):

Bus 002 Device 010: ID 174c:5136 ASMedia Technology Inc.
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               3.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         9
  idVendor           0x174c ASMedia Technology Inc.
  idProduct          0x5136
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           2 Delock
  iProduct                3 42514
  iSerial                 1 200000000CB4
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength          121
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xc0
      Self Powered
    MaxPower               36mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
      bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk-Only
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0400  1x 1024 bytes
        bInterval               0
        bMaxBurst              15
[...]
        MaxStreams             16
[...]
        bMaxBurst               0
[...]

Thanks,
Jan

* [solved] Re: uas module not loaded automatically
@ 2014-10-06  6:39                 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2014-10-06  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-modules; +Cc: Hans de Goede

On 2014-10-05 13:03, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm migrating this conversation over from LKML as it is probably a kmod
> issue. I've just retried the scenario with kmod 18 (from OpenSUSE
> Factory) and can still confirm it. Please see below for details.

Mystery solved:

/etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf:
# uas has been confirmed to be hopelessly broken
# Bug bnc#770301
blacklist uas

I'll check with my distro if this is gone in their next release when
they switch to a UAS-enabled kernel. The official kernel for their
current release still has it disabled, the problem only occurred when
moving to a newer kernel.

Jan

* Re: [solved] Re: uas module not loaded automatically
@ 2014-10-06 22:43                   ` Lucas De Marchi
From: Lucas De Marchi @ 2014-10-06 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: linux-modules, Hans de Goede

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 3:39 AM, Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@web.de> wrote:
> On 2014-10-05 13:03, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm migrating this conversation over from LKML as it is probably a kmod
>> issue. I've just retried the scenario with kmod 18 (from OpenSUSE
>> Factory) and can still confirm it. Please see below for details.
>
> Mystery solved:
>
> /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf:
> # uas has been confirmed to be hopelessly broken
> # Bug bnc#770301
> blacklist uas
>
> I'll check with my distro if this is gone in their next release when
> they switch to a UAS-enabled kernel. The official kernel for their
> current release still has it disabled, the problem only occurred when
> moving to a newer kernel.

nice to see the blacklist is working fine :)

--
Lucas De Marchi