* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Mobile voice communication over mesh networks
@ 2014-10-10  5:12 tjhowse
From: tjhowse @ 2014-10-10  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Has anyone looked into either a piece of hardware or a smarphone app
that would allow for functionality similar to CB radios but over a
wifi mesh fabric?

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Mobile voice communication over mesh networks
@ 2014-10-10  8:36 ` Ufo
From: Ufo @ 2014-10-10  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

Am 10.10.14 07:12, schrieb tjhowse:
> Has anyone looked into either a piece of hardware or a smarphone app
> that would allow for functionality similar to CB radios but over a
> wifi mesh fabric?

you have to try "mumble", its great fun!
install a server f.i. on one of your proper openwrt meshnodes:
opkg install umurmur-openssl

and on your androids "plumble" seems to be the best app. for other OS
the application is called mumble (also for osx and windows, ios..)

try server "mumble.freifunk.net" and afterwards your own server.

greetings, ufo

--
---
Freifunk Leipzig http://leipzig.freifunk.net

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Mobile voice communication over mesh networks
@ 2014-10-10 17:02 ` david.moffatt
From: david.moffatt @ 2014-10-10 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=push+to+talk+androidOn

:-)

@ 2014-10-14 12:39   ` Ufo
From: Ufo @ 2014-10-14 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

thank you. nice list, but mostly the details about used techniques are
not mentioned. most of the systems are using central servers and have
commercial business plans. so that was not the task on this thread.

with *mumble* you can at least install your own server, even on openwrt,
and its open source..

but, best app on your list might be the *pttdroid*
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ro.ui.pttdroid

its a very simple app which needs NO server! so within our batman-adv
networks its running nice, without any configuration needed :-o

p.s. even when you are alone on your mesh it seems to be a nice app for
debugging purposes, because you can create broadcast- and multicast
usertraffic very easy..

--
---
Freifunk Leipzig http://leipzig.freifunk.net