* What are subdevices?
@ 2014-10-26  8:14 dE
From: dE @ 2014-10-26  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alsa-devel

Hi!

I tried this question in the alsa-users mailing list but it doesn't
appear to be much active. So I ask here.

I'm facing problems with my system, so decided to learn ALSA to see
what's the problem.

My first question -- what's a device and a sub device?

A device seems like the output streams the sound card supports. Like
HDMI, DP, analog etc...

So what's a subdevice? Is this related to multichannel? Does it
designate physical ports on the card?

Thanks.

* Re: What are subdevices?
@ 2014-10-26  9:11 ` Clemens Ladisch
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2014-10-26  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dE, Alsa-devel

dE wrote:
> A device seems like the output streams the sound card supports. Like HDMI, DP, analog etc...
>
> So what's a subdevice?

A subdevice is an output streams the sound card supports.

Typically, a device has multiple subdevices if the card supports hardware mixing; all
the subdevices end up at the same physical output.

Regards,
Clemens

* Re: What are subdevices?
@ 2014-10-26  9:57   ` dE
From: dE @ 2014-10-26  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alsa-devel

On 10/26/14 14:41, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> dE wrote:
>> A device seems like the output streams the sound card supports. Like HDMI, DP, analog etc...
>>
>> So what's a subdevice?
> A subdevice is an output streams the sound card supports.
>
> Typically, a device has multiple subdevices if the card supports hardware mixing; all
> the subdevices end up at the same physical output.
>

> Regards,
> Clemens

Ok, so a device list is a list of different streams the card can
supports simultaneously and they'll be output via different channels
without mixing.

Thanks for clarifying this.

But, typically cards have a single analog device but support
multichannel output. So how does this work at the software level? If
ALSA can't send multiple streams of audio to one device, then how does
ALSA send  separate output to different channels of the device?

Is the PCM sent to the sound card codified? Is this the same way how
stereo work?

* Re: What are subdevices?
@ 2014-10-27 18:02     ` dE
From: dE @ 2014-10-27 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alsa-devel

On 10/26/14 15:27, dE wrote:
> On 10/26/14 14:41, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>> dE wrote:
>>> A device seems like the output streams the sound card supports. Like
>>> HDMI, DP, analog etc...
>>>
>>> So what's a subdevice?
>> A subdevice is an output streams the sound card supports.
>>
>> Typically, a device has multiple subdevices if the card supports
>> hardware mixing; all
>> the subdevices end up at the same physical output.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Clemens
>
> Ok, so a device list is a list of different streams the card can
> supports simultaneously and they'll be output via different channels
> without mixing.
>
> Thanks for clarifying this.
>
> But, typically cards have a single analog device but support
> multichannel output. So how does this work at the software level? If
> ALSA can't send multiple streams of audio to one device, then how does
> ALSA send  separate output to different channels of the device?
>
> Is the PCM sent to the sound card codified? Is this the same way how
> stereo work?

No one knows?

* Re: What are subdevices?
@ 2014-10-27 19:46     ` Clemens Ladisch
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2014-10-27 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

dE wrote:
> typically cards have a single analog device but support multichannel
> output. So how does this work at the software level? If ALSA can't
> send multiple streams of audio to one device, then how does ALSA send
> separate output to different channels of the device?

The channels are not separate.  For a stereo devices, the samples are
arranged like LRLRLRLRLR...; for more channels, there are more
interleaved values: 123456123456123456123456...

Regards,
Clemens

* Re: What are subdevices?
@ 2014-10-28  3:17       ` dE
From: dE @ 2014-10-28  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alsa-devel

On 10/28/14 01:16, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> dE wrote:
>> typically cards have a single analog device but support multichannel
>> output. So how does this work at the software level? If ALSA can't
>> send multiple streams of audio to one device, then how does ALSA send
>> separate output to different channels of the device?
> The channels are not separate.  For a stereo devices, the samples are
> arranged like LRLRLRLRLR...; for more channels, there are more
> interleaved values: 123456123456123456123456...
>

> Regards,
> Clemens

So it's with the encoding of the PCM.

Thank you so much for the response! I'll blog about this in my ALSA doc.