* Is the build system SCM sensitive?
@ 2014-10-27 16:50 Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2014-10-27 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto Project

I had a complete build (details probably don't matter) using
Poky master.  I'm working on a fix to one of the core recipes,
so I made a local branch:
   % git checkout -b fix-python-pygtk master
I made a single line change in the recipe (removing a line from
the do_install step).  When I then rebuilt the recipe, to my
surprise, there were more than 450 tasks (73 unique recipes)
executed :-(

How does this make any sense?  unless the build system cares
that I changed the branch?

n.b. I'm happy to provide more details if necessary.  Also, I
did this twice in two different build trees and saw the same
strangeness.

* Re: Is the build system SCM sensitive?
@ 2014-10-27 18:03 ` Saul Wold
From: Saul Wold @ 2014-10-27 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas, Yocto Project

On 10/27/2014 09:50 AM, Gary Thomas wrote:
> I had a complete build (details probably don't matter) using
> Poky master.  I'm working on a fix to one of the core recipes,
> so I made a local branch:
>    % git checkout -b fix-python-pygtk master
> I made a single line change in the recipe (removing a line from
> the do_install step).  When I then rebuilt the recipe, to my
> surprise, there were more than 450 tasks (73 unique recipes)
> executed :-(
>
> How does this make any sense?  unless the build system cares
> that I changed the branch?
>
> n.b. I'm happy to provide more details if necessary.  Also, I
> did this twice in two different build trees and saw the same
> strangeness.

I think so additional info might be needed here, I am guessing that you
are changing pygtk and somehow that is changing some dependency, you
might try using bitbake-diffsigs between the 2 versions.

Sau!

* Re: Is the build system SCM sensitive?
@ 2014-10-27 19:40   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2014-10-27 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saul Wold, Yocto Project

On 2014-10-27 12:03, Saul Wold wrote:
> On 10/27/2014 09:50 AM, Gary Thomas wrote:
>> I had a complete build (details probably don't matter) using
>> Poky master.  I'm working on a fix to one of the core recipes,
>> so I made a local branch:
>>    % git checkout -b fix-python-pygtk master
>> I made a single line change in the recipe (removing a line from
>> the do_install step).  When I then rebuilt the recipe, to my
>> surprise, there were more than 450 tasks (73 unique recipes)
>> executed :-(
>>
>> How does this make any sense?  unless the build system cares
>> that I changed the branch?
>>
>> n.b. I'm happy to provide more details if necessary.  Also, I
>> did this twice in two different build trees and saw the same
>> strangeness.
>>
> I think so additional info might be needed here, I am guessing that you are changing pygtk and somehow that is changing some dependency, you might try using bitbake-diffsigs
> between the 2 versions.

I think I know what triggered this - a recent change in bitbake.conf
redefined BUILD_CPP (and others).  I had merged this change some six
hours before my strange build and had been building many other recipes
(also python with a similar set of dependencies) a number of times
before I touched the python-pygtk recipe.  Some dependency in that
recipe set off the rebuild storm that my other recipes had not.

So the large number of recipe rebuilds was [probably] warranted, but
very unexpected given what I had been doing just prior.

Sorry for the noise.  Next time I'll try and remember bitbake-diffsigs
and figure things out on my own.

* Re: Is the build system SCM sensitive?
@ 2014-10-27 20:07     ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2014-10-27 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Yocto Project

On 27 October 2014 19:40, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:

> I think I know what triggered this - a recent change in bitbake.conf
> redefined BUILD_CPP (and others).  I had merged this change some six
> hours before my strange build and had been building many other recipes
> (also python with a similar set of dependencies) a number of times
> before I touched the python-pygtk recipe.  Some dependency in that
> recipe set off the rebuild storm that my other recipes had not.

Ah yes, welcome back to master.  There's been stuff building up for a
while.  :)

This is where I point out that master between a release and M1 is known to
be "volatile".  Whilst we obviously endeavour for it to be always
buildable, deep and fundamental changes will be going in sooner rather than
later.

(ie this might be time to dust of my libexecdir-changing series)

Ross

* Re: Is the build system SCM sensitive?
@ 2014-10-27 22:26       ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2014-10-27 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: Yocto Project

On 2014-10-27 14:07, Burton, Ross wrote:

> On 27 October 2014 19:40, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com <mailto:gary@mlbassoc.com>> wrote:
>
>     I think I know what triggered this - a recent change in bitbake.conf
>     redefined BUILD_CPP (and others).  I had merged this change some six
>     hours before my strange build and had been building many other recipes
>     (also python with a similar set of dependencies) a number of times
>     before I touched the python-pygtk recipe.  Some dependency in that
>     recipe set off the rebuild storm that my other recipes had not.
>

> Ah yes, welcome back to master.  There's been stuff building up for a while.  :)
>
> This is where I point out that master between a release and M1 is known to be "volatile".  Whilst we obviously endeavour for it to be always buildable, deep and fundamental changes
> will be going in sooner rather than later.

This doesn't bother me - I expect it.  What took me by surprise
was when the behaviour radically changed from what I had seen
all day.  Totally explainable, but unexpected nonetheless.

> (ie this might be time to dust of my libexecdir-changing series)

Go for it :-)