* RFC hwclock: refactoring
@ 2014-11-22 21:20 JWP
From: JWP @ 2014-11-22 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Zak; +Cc: util-linux

So, I noticed when *fdisk were rewritten that some antiquated
code was dropped.  I would like some opinions on whether this
should be done when refactoring hwclock.

For example, do we need a workaround for the 1994 Award BIOS
bug? Do we need Alpha code?  Is there a Linux distro that
still officially supports Alpha machines?

Any other ideas regarding this topic are welcome. Thank you in
advance for your time.

Here are some options up for discussion:

ALPHA ONLY
       --getepoch
              Print  the  kernel's Hardware Clock epoch value to standard out-
              put.  This is the number of years into AD to which a  zero  year
              value  in  the  Hardware  Clock refers.  For example, if you are
              using the convention that the  year  counter  in  your  Hardware
              Clock  contains  the  number  of full years since 1952, then the
              kernel's Hardware Clock epoch value must be 1952.

              This epoch value is used whenever  hwclock  reads  or  sets  the
              Hardware Clock.

       --setepoch
              Set the kernel's Hardware Clock epoch value to the value  speci-
              fied  by  the  --epoch  option.   See  the --getepoch option for
              details.

       --epoch=year
              Specifies the year  which  is  the  beginning  of  the  Hardware
              Clock's  epoch,  that  is the number of years into AD to which a
              zero value in the Hardware Clock's year counter refers.   It  is
              used  together  with  the  --setepoch option to set the kernel's
              idea of the epoch of the Hardware Clock, or otherwise to specify
              the epoch for use with direct ISA access.

              For example, on a Digital Unix machine:

                  hwclock --setepoch --epoch=1952

       --arc  This option is equivalent to --epoch=1980 and is used to specify
              the most common epoch on Alphas with ARC console  (but  Ruffians
              have epoch 1900).

       --srm  This option is equivalent to --epoch=1900 and is used to specify
              the most common epoch on Alphas with SRM console.

       --funky-toy

       --jensen
              These two options specify what kind of Alpha machine  you  have.
              They  are  invalid  if  you  don't have an Alpha and are usually
              unnecessary if you do, because hwclock should be able to  deter-
              mine  by  itself  what  it's  running on, at least when /proc is
              mounted.  (If you find you need one of  these  options  to  make
              hwclock  work,  contact the maintainer to see if the program can
              be improved to detect  your  system  automatically.   Output  of
              `hwclock --debug' and `cat /proc/cpuinfo' may be of interest.)

              Option  --jensen  means  you are running on a Jensen model.  And
              --funky-toy means that on your machine one has to use the UF bit
              instead  of  the  UIP bit in the Hardware Clock to detect a time
              transition.  "Toy" in the option name refers to the Time Of Year
              facility of the machine.

AWARD BIOS BUG

       --badyear
              Indicate  that  the Hardware Clock is incapable of storing years
              outside the range 1994-1999.  There is a problem in some  BIOSes
              (almost  all  Award  BIOSes  made  between  4/26/94 and 5/31/95)
              wherein they are unable to deal with years after 1999.   If  one
              attempts to set the year-of-century value to something less than
              94 (or 95 in some cases), the value that actually gets set is 94
              (or  95).  Thus, if you have one of these machines, hwclock can-
              not set the year after 1999 and cannot  use  the  value  of  the
              clock as the true time in the normal way.

              To  compensate  for  this  (without  your getting a BIOS update,
              which would definitely be preferable), always use  --badyear  if
              you have one of these machines.  When hwclock knows it's working
              with a brain-damaged clock, it ignores  the  year  part  of  the
              Hardware  Clock  value and instead tries to guess the year based
              on the last calibrated date in the  adjtime  file,  by  assuming
              that  date  is  within the past year.  For this to work, you had
              better do a hwclock --set or hwclock --systohc at least  once  a
              year!

              Though hwclock ignores the year value when it reads the Hardware
              Clock, it sets the year value when it sets the clock.   It  sets
              it  to  1995,  1996,  1997,  or 1998, whichever one has the same
              position in the leap year cycle as the true year.  That way, the
              Hardware  Clock  inserts leap days where they belong.  Again, if
              you let the Hardware Clock run for more than a year without set-
              ting it, this scheme could be defeated and you could end up los-
              ing a day.

              hwclock warns you that you probably need --badyear  whenever  it
              finds your Hardware Clock set to 1994 or 1995.

* Re: RFC hwclock: refactoring
@ 2014-11-23 10:27 ` Benno Schulenberg
From: Benno Schulenberg @ 2014-11-23 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JWP; +Cc: Karel Zak, util-linux

Hello JWP,

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014, at 22:20, JWP wrote:
> For example, do we need a workaround for the 1994 Award BIOS
> bug?

In my opinion machines with that BIOS are too old.  So no.
Also because I wondered a few times about this phrase:

>               hwclock warns you that you probably need --badyear  whenever  it
>               finds your Hardware Clock set to 1994 or 1995.

Nowhere in the source of hwclock can I find this warning.  But it
has been there in 2000, because this user reports having gotten it:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.lang.basic/ilp_6HwLvZE/sE1nBoiD_LcJ

Since no one ever complained that the above phrase in the man page
is incorrect, it most likely means that no one uses such machines
any more.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Choose from over 50 domains or use your own

* Re: RFC hwclock: refactoring
@ 2014-11-23 13:31 ` Sami Kerola
From: Sami Kerola @ 2014-11-23 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JWP; +Cc: Karel Zak, util-linux

On 22 November 2014 at 21:20, JWP <elseifthen@gmx.com> wrote:
> So, I noticed when *fdisk were rewritten that some antiquated
> code was dropped.  I would like some opinions on whether this
> should be done when refactoring hwclock.
>
> For example, do we need a workaround for the 1994 Award BIOS
> bug?

I agree with Benno, it is time to say goodbye to that code.

> Do we need Alpha code?  Is there a Linux distro that
> still officially supports Alpha machines?

I'm not sure if there is any up to date distribution for Alpha. Kernel
crew seems to still care alpha, so it is not completely dead.

http://marc.info/?t=140518903000002&r=1&w=2

Maybe the question should be rephrased. How about dropping the Alpha
cmos support? It looks like Alpha has rtc support.

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/alpha/kernel/rtc.c

> Any other ideas regarding this topic are welcome.

Removal of i386 references should be safe.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Linux-Kernel-3-8-Says-Goodbye-to-i386-314293.shtml

Since there is no other than Alpha & i386 references to cmos code, all
of it is subject for removal.

--
Sami Kerola
http://www.iki.fi/kerolasa/

* Re: RFC hwclock: refactoring
@ 2014-11-23 15:32   ` Sami Kerola
From: Sami Kerola @ 2014-11-23 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JWP; +Cc: Karel Zak, util-linux

On 23 November 2014 at 13:31, Sami Kerola <kerolasa@iki.fi> wrote:
> On 22 November 2014 at 21:20, JWP <elseifthen@gmx.com> wrote:
>> So, I noticed when *fdisk were rewritten that some antiquated
>> code was dropped.  I would like some opinions on whether this
>> should be done when refactoring hwclock.
>>
>> For example, do we need a workaround for the 1994 Award BIOS
>> bug?
>
> I agree with Benno, it is time to say goodbye to that code.
>
>> Do we need Alpha code?  Is there a Linux distro that
>> still officially supports Alpha machines?
>
> I'm not sure if there is any up to date distribution for Alpha. Kernel
> crew seems to still care alpha, so it is not completely dead.
>
> http://marc.info/?t=140518903000002&r=1&w=2
>
> Maybe the question should be rephrased. How about dropping the Alpha
> cmos support? It looks like Alpha has rtc support.
>
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/alpha/kernel/rtc.c
>
>> Any other ideas regarding this topic are welcome.
>
> Removal of i386 references should be safe.
>
> http://news.softpedia.com/news/Linux-Kernel-3-8-Says-Goodbye-to-i386-314293.shtml
>
> Since there is no other than Alpha & i386 references to cmos code, all
> of it is subject for removal.

JWP,

It's a rainy day here, so I decided to make initial attempt to remove
cmos & --badyear. Maybe something like these are what you are thinking
of.

https://github.com/kerolasa/lelux-utiliteetit/commit/fa8825f77996dfad39bd09240729287706f6e72f
https://github.com/kerolasa/lelux-utiliteetit/commit/74edf1aa9c16d351e9fdb25a961ec1932c60c674

After a clean up like that there is still tons to do. For example this
snippet here

/*
 * struct rtc_time is present since 1.3.99.
 * Earlier (since 1.3.89), a struct tm was used.
 */

is screaming obsolete.

--
Sami Kerola
http://www.iki.fi/kerolasa/

* Re: RFC hwclock: refactoring
@ 2014-11-24  1:54     ` JWP
From: JWP @ 2014-11-24  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kerolasa; +Cc: Karel Zak, util-linux

On 11/23/2014 10:32 AM, Sami Kerola wrote:
>> On 23 November 2014 at 13:31, Sami Kerola <kerolasa@iki.fi> wrote:
>>> On 22 November 2014 at 21:20, JWP <elseifthen@gmx.com> wrote:
>>> So, I noticed when *fdisk were rewritten that some antiquated
>>> code was dropped.  I would like some opinions on whether this
>>> should be done when refactoring hwclock.
>>>
>>> For example, do we need a workaround for the 1994 Award BIOS
>>> bug?
>>
>> I agree with Benno, it is time to say goodbye to that code.
>>
>>> Do we need Alpha code?  Is there a Linux distro that
>>> still officially supports Alpha machines?
>>
>> I'm not sure if there is any up to date distribution for Alpha. Kernel
>> crew seems to still care alpha, so it is not completely dead.
>>
>> http://marc.info/?t=140518903000002&r=1&w=2
>>
>> Maybe the question should be rephrased. How about dropping the Alpha
>> cmos support? It looks like Alpha has rtc support.

I intentionally did not include --directisa and hwclock-cmos.c in my
RFC, because my current position is that I2C access should remain in
hwclock for troubleshooting and testing purposes.

Your marc.info link seems to be broken.

>> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/alpha/kernel/rtc.c
>>
>>> Any other ideas regarding this topic are welcome.
>>
>> Removal of i386 references should be safe.
>>
>> http://news.softpedia.com/news/Linux-Kernel-3-8-Says-Goodbye-to-i386-314293.shtml
>>
>> Since there is no other than Alpha & i386 references to cmos code, all
>> of it is subject for removal.

The __i386__ macro is set for all x86 platforms. They all support the ISA
architecture and therefore can use direct access methods to the persistent
clock.  That includes x86_64, even though the current iteration of hwclock
does not allow it, which is one of many hwclock bugs I will be fixing.

> JWP,
>
> It's a rainy day here, so I decided to make initial attempt to remove
> cmos & --badyear. Maybe something like these are what you are thinking
> of.
>
> https://github.com/kerolasa/lelux-utiliteetit/commit/fa8825f77996dfad39bd09240729287706f6e72f
> https://github.com/kerolasa/lelux-utiliteetit/commit/74edf1aa9c16d351e9fdb25a961ec1932c60c674
>
> After a clean up like that there is still tons to do. For example this
> snippet here
>
> /*
>  * struct rtc_time is present since 1.3.99.
>  * Earlier (since 1.3.89), a struct tm was used.
>  */
>
> is screaming obsolete.

All of the code will be changing, Karel ask me to refactor it outside
of the main development channel.  I wanted to see if the Alpha and
Award code was somehow important to someone.  My opinion is to remove
it, but maybe there is something I am unaware of.

Even the source for the aboot Alpha boot-loader, and the previous center
of all things Linux-Alpha, alphalinux.org is gone.

I do wonder why the kernel hasn't dropped it yet though.

I'm curious as to what Mr. Z's thoughts are going to be.

Thanks for your time and input Sami!

* Re: RFC hwclock: refactoring
@ 2014-11-24  1:56   ` JWP
From: JWP @ 2014-11-24  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benno Schulenberg; +Cc: Karel Zak, util-linux

On 11/23/2014 05:27 AM, Benno Schulenberg wrote:

> Hello JWP,
>
> On Sat, Nov 22, 2014, at 22:20, JWP wrote:
>> For example, do we need a workaround for the 1994 Award BIOS
>> bug?
>
> In my opinion machines with that BIOS are too old.  So no.
> Also because I wondered a few times about this phrase:
>
>>               hwclock warns you that you probably need --badyear  whenever  it
>>               finds your Hardware Clock set to 1994 or 1995.
>
> Nowhere in the source of hwclock can I find this warning.  But it
> has been there in 2000, because this user reports having gotten it:
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.lang.basic/ilp_6HwLvZE/sE1nBoiD_LcJ
>
> Since no one ever complained that the above phrase in the man page
> is incorrect, it most likely means that no one uses such machines
> any more.
>
> Benno

Thanks for your time and input Benno!

* Re: RFC hwclock: refactoring
@ 2014-11-24 10:14       ` Karel Zak
From: Karel Zak @ 2014-11-24 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JWP; +Cc: kerolasa, util-linux

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 08:54:59PM -0500, JWP wrote:
> I intentionally did not include --directisa and hwclock-cmos.c in my
> RFC, because my current position is that I2C access should remain in
> hwclock for troubleshooting and testing purposes.

Sure, hwclock-cmos.c is still usable.

> of the main development channel.  I wanted to see if the Alpha and
> Award code was somehow important to someone.  My opinion is to remove
> it, but maybe there is something I am unaware of.

I think we don't have to care about Award workarounds at all.

Linux kernel provides RTC layer for Alpha, the question is usability,
but I think we can be optimistic and drop the alpha specific cmos code :-)

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com

* Re: RFC hwclock: refactoring
@ 2015-02-16  9:02   ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2015-02-16  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kerolasa; +Cc: JWP, Karel Zak, util-linux

On 23 Nov 2014 13:31, Sami Kerola wrote:
> On 22 November 2014 at 21:20, JWP wrote:
> > Do we need Alpha code?  Is there a Linux distro that
> > still officially supports Alpha machines?
>
> I'm not sure if there is any up to date distribution for Alpha.

Gentoo still produces up-to-date releases
-mike

* Re: RFC hwclock: refactoring
@ 2015-02-16 11:37     ` J William Piggott
From: J William Piggott @ 2015-02-16 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Zak, util-linux, Mike Frysinger

On 02/16/2015 04:02 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On 23 Nov 2014 13:31, Sami Kerola wrote:
>> On 22 November 2014 at 21:20, JWP wrote:
>>> Do we need Alpha code?  Is there a Linux distro that
>>> still officially supports Alpha machines?
>>
>> I'm not sure if there is any up to date distribution for Alpha.
>
> Gentoo still produces up-to-date releases
> -mike

Hello Mike,

Yes, I contacted the two most authoritative Alpha people I could find,
Tobias Klausmann and Matt Turner. Matt requested that we continue to
maintain hwclock's Alpha code. I forgot to post a follow up here about
it, sorry.

William

* Re: RFC hwclock: refactoring
@ 2015-02-16 12:32       ` Mike Frysinger