* reiserfs corruption
@ 2006-01-26 10:49 Antonio
From: Antonio @ 2006-01-26 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-list

Hi to the list,

I'm using reiserfs v3 in my root partition of my debian testing system
for 3 years without a single problem. It's a quite common 32bit pc.

Since a week (approximately when I began to use 2.6.15.1, don't know
if it matters though) I beginned to see strange errors like this:

  kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
  kernel: hda9: rw=0, want=42762504, limit=14201397
  kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
  kernel: hda9: rw=0, want=42762504, limit=14201397
  kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
  kernel: hda9: rw=0, want=42762504, limit=14201397

and this:

  ReiserFS: warning: is_tree_node: node level 24111 does not match to
the expected one 1
  ReiserFS: hda9: warning: vs-5150: search_by_key: invalid format
found in block 1960. Fsck?
  ReiserFS: hda9: warning: vs-13070: reiserfs_read_locked_inode: i/o
failure occurred trying to find stat data of [172 59564 0x0 SD]

The first time I ran "reisefsck --rebuidl-tree" and corrected all the
errors. After few day I had again those errors, so I thinked that my
HD was at the end of his life. However I have another debian system on
the same disk that works without problems. I rebuilt the tree 3 times
this week but after some usage I get again those errors (and often the
system become instable).

I've ran smartctl (my IDE disk supports smart) but it didn't find any
error even doing the short and the long tests.

Then I thinked about badblocks, I've read the faq on the namesys site
so I ran "badbloks -b 4096 /dev/hda9" but no badblocks where found
(there was no output at all).

I've cheked all the other partitions and they have no error. The
partition which gived errors is the only reiserfs on this disk. So,
maybe my disk is damaged, but how can I be sure it isn't a software
problem if neither smartctl and badblocks can find any error? Is there
some other check I can do?

If it can help here is debugreiserfs output on the damaged partition:

# debugreiserfs /dev/hda9
debugreiserfs 3.6.19 (2003 www.namesys.com)

Filesystem state: consistent

Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x309 of format 3.6 with standard journal
Count of blocks on the device: 1775168
Number of bitmaps: 55
Blocksize: 4096
Free blocks (count of blocks - used [journal, bitmaps, data, reserved]
blocks): 384382
Root block: 8690
Filesystem is clean
Tree height: 5
Hash function used to sort names: "r5"
Objectid map size 158, max 972
Journal parameters:
        Device [0x0]
        Magic [0x1e79a00]
        Size 8193 blocks (including 1 for journal header) (first block 18)
        Max transaction length 1024 blocks
        Max batch size 900 blocks
        Max commit age 30
Blocks reserved by journal: 0
Fs state field: 0x0:
sb_version: 2
inode generation number: 5725378
UUID: be002094-1df2-415b-8f12-f0f199c6390c
LABEL:
Set flags in SB:
        ATTRIBUTES CLEAN

Any hit is welcome, tell me if you need further informations.

Best Regards,

  ~ Antonio

* Re: reiserfs corruption
@ 2006-01-26 13:42 ` Vladimir V. Saveliev
From: Vladimir V. Saveliev @ 2006-01-26 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonio; +Cc: reiserfs-list

Hello

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 11:49 +0100, Antonio wrote:
> Hi to the list,
>
> I'm using reiserfs v3 in my root partition of my debian testing system
> for 3 years without a single problem. It's a quite common 32bit pc.
>
> Since a week (approximately when I began to use 2.6.15.1, don't know
> if it matters though) I beginned to see strange errors like this:
>
>   kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
>   kernel: hda9: rw=0, want=42762504, limit=14201397
>   kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
>   kernel: hda9: rw=0, want=42762504, limit=14201397
>   kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
>   kernel: hda9: rw=0, want=42762504, limit=14201397
>
> and this:
>
>   ReiserFS: warning: is_tree_node: node level 24111 does not match to
> the expected one 1
>   ReiserFS: hda9: warning: vs-5150: search_by_key: invalid format
> found in block 1960. Fsck?
>   ReiserFS: hda9: warning: vs-13070: reiserfs_read_locked_inode: i/o
> failure occurred trying to find stat data of [172 59564 0x0 SD]
>
> The first time I ran "reisefsck --rebuidl-tree" and corrected all the
> errors. After few day I had again those errors, so I thinked that my
> HD was at the end of his life. However I have another debian system on
> the same disk that works without problems.

is it on reiserfs?
would you, please, show output of
fdisk -l /dev/hda

>  I rebuilt the tree 3 times
> this week but after some usage I get again those errors (and often the
> system become instable).
>
> I've ran smartctl (my IDE disk supports smart) but it didn't find any
> error even doing the short and the long tests.
>
> Then I thinked about badblocks, I've read the faq on the namesys site
> so I ran "badbloks -b 4096 /dev/hda9" but no badblocks where found
> (there was no output at all).
>
> I've cheked all the other partitions and they have no error. The
> partition which gived errors is the only reiserfs on this disk. So,
> maybe my disk is damaged, but how can I be sure it isn't a software
> problem if neither smartctl and badblocks can find any error? Is there
> some other check I can do?

Would you, please, downgrade to 2.6.14 (or whatever kernel you used
before 2.6.15.1) and see whether the problem comes up.

> If it can help here is debugreiserfs output on the damaged partition:

> # debugreiserfs /dev/hda9
> debugreiserfs 3.6.19 (2003 www.namesys.com)
>

> Filesystem state: consistent
>
> Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x309 of format 3.6 with standard journal
> Count of blocks on the device: 1775168
> Number of bitmaps: 55
> Blocksize: 4096
> Free blocks (count of blocks - used [journal, bitmaps, data, reserved]
> blocks): 384382
> Root block: 8690
> Filesystem is clean
> Tree height: 5
> Hash function used to sort names: "r5"
> Objectid map size 158, max 972
> Journal parameters:
>         Device [0x0]
>         Magic [0x1e79a00]
>         Size 8193 blocks (including 1 for journal header) (first block 18)
>         Max transaction length 1024 blocks
>         Max batch size 900 blocks
>         Max commit age 30
> Blocks reserved by journal: 0
> Fs state field: 0x0:
> sb_version: 2
> inode generation number: 5725378
> UUID: be002094-1df2-415b-8f12-f0f199c6390c
> LABEL:
> Set flags in SB:
>         ATTRIBUTES CLEAN
>
> Any hit is welcome, tell me if you need further informations.
>

> Best Regards,
>
>   ~ Antonio

* Re: reiserfs corruption
@ 2006-01-26 14:58   ` Antonio
From: Antonio @ 2006-01-26 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-list

Hi,

2006/1/26, Vladimir V. Saveliev <vs@namesys.com>:
[cut]
> > The first time I ran "reisefsck --rebuidl-tree" and corrected all the
> > errors. After few day I had again those errors, so I thinked that my
> > HD was at the end of his life. However I have another debian system on
> > the same disk that works without problems.
>
> is it on reiserfs?
> would you, please, show output of
> fdisk -l /dev/hda

No, the only reiserfs partition is hda9 which is the root partition of
one of the two debian systems I have on this machine.

As you requested:
# fdisk -l /dev/hda

Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60022480896 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7297 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hda1               1         382     3068383+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2   *         383         393       88357+  83  Linux
/dev/hda3             394        1122     5855692+  83  Linux
/dev/hda4            1123        7297    49600687+   5  Extended
/dev/hda5            1123        1851     5855661   83  Linux
/dev/hda6            1852        1915      514048+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hda7            1916        5562    29294496   83  Linux
/dev/hda8            5563        6413     6835626   83  Linux
/dev/hda9   *        6414        7297     7100698+  83  Linux

> Would you, please, downgrade to 2.6.14 (or whatever kernel you used
> before 2.6.15.1) and see whether the problem comes up.

Yes. I'm yet running the standard debian etch kernel 2.6.12. No
problem so far (~ 1 hour), but it's too early too say if this resolved
the problem. Even with the 2.6.15.1 kernel the system worked for days
before having problems.

I'll update you the situation as far as I get an error or otherwise tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply.

Best Regards,

  ~ Antonio

* Re: reiserfs corruption
@ 2006-01-27 14:17     ` Antonio
From: Antonio @ 2006-01-27 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-list

2006/1/26, Antonio <tritemio@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> 2006/1/26, Vladimir V. Saveliev <vs@namesys.com>:
[cut]
> > Would you, please, downgrade to 2.6.14 (or whatever kernel you used
> > before 2.6.15.1) and see whether the problem comes up.
>
> Yes. I'm yet running the standard debian etch kernel 2.6.12. No
> problem so far (~ 1 hour), but it's too early too say if this resolved
> the problem. Even with the 2.6.15.1 kernel the system worked for days
> before having problems.
>
> I'll update you the situation as far as I get an error or otherwise tomorrow.

So far no error with the older kernel. I strongly suspect my issues
are related to the 2.6.15.1 (vanilla) kernel. My HD seems really
(fingers crossed) sane. Even uder eavy load I've haven't no error in
other non reiaserfs partitions.

I saw this (probably) analoge thread on LKML:

  http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/1/27/115

Do you think have I to report my problems on LKML too?

Is there anything I can do to help testing?

Best Regards,

  ~ Antonio

* Re: reiserfs corruption
@ 2002-11-18  8:12 ` Oleg Drokin
From: Oleg Drokin @ 2002-11-18  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Wellnhofer; +Cc: reiserfs-list

Hello!

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 11:35:19PM +0100, Nick Wellnhofer wrote:

> But the system still runs fine, so I'm a bit scared to try a
> --rebuild-tree, especially because I have no direct access to the server
> right now. What are your experiences with --rebuild-tree? What are the
> chances of --rebuild-tree failing?

100%, there is no supported way to run reiserfsck --rebuild-tree on mounted fs.
You should boot off some other fs and run reiserfsck from there.

> Another thing: I expect that my reiserfs file system was already
> corrupted before the kernel upgrade, but only the new kernel version
> tells me about that. Does reiserfs report more error conditions in
> kernel 2.4?

Yes.

Bye,
    Oleg

* reiserfs corruption
@ 2002-11-16 22:35 Nick Wellnhofer
From: Nick Wellnhofer @ 2002-11-16 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-list

Hi,

we recently upgraded one of our servers from Linux kernel 2.2.16 to
2.4.18. After the upgrade I got the following error messages in syslog
repeatedly:

is_tree_node: node level 0 does not match to the expected one 1
vs-5150: search_by_key: invalid format found in block 1365267. Fsck?
vs-13070: reiserfs_read_inode2: i/o failure occurred trying to find stat
data of [4 40403 0x0 SD]

It's always the same block 1365267.

After I did a reiserfsck --check I was told to run --rebuild-tree (I
couldn't look at the exact output of the program since I have only
remote access to the server. I put the reiserfsck in the boot scripts,
rebooted and got a return value of 2). At first I only tried
--fix-fixable. Now I get one error message less, the only remaining ones are

is_tree_node: node level 0 does not match to the expected one 1
vs-5150: search_by_key: invalid format found in block 1365267. Fsck?

But the system still runs fine, so I'm a bit scared to try a
--rebuild-tree, especially because I have no direct access to the server
right now. What are your experiences with --rebuild-tree? What are the
chances of --rebuild-tree failing?

I'm using the old reiserfs 3.5 layout and the newest reiserfsprogs 3.6.4.

Another thing: I expect that my reiserfs file system was already
corrupted before the kernel upgrade, but only the new kernel version
tells me about that. Does reiserfs report more error conditions in
kernel 2.4?

Thanks for your help,

Nick Wellnhofer

--
The hot Caribbean sun and a sweet sea breeze are all that can be felt.
http://matadorworld.com/

fon: +4989 38380653
fax: +4989 38799384
wellnhofer@aevum.de