* Weird/Unneeded call to msleep in exynos_mipi_dsi_wr_data in exynos_mipi_dsi_common.c
@ 2014-12-17 22:57 ` nick
From: nick @ 2014-12-17 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: inki.dae
  Cc: linux-fbdev, linux-samsung-soc, dh09.lee, linux-kernel,
	kyungmin.park, tomi.valkeinen, kgene, plagnioj, linux-arm-kernel

Greetings Fellow Maintainers,
Sorry if I wasting your time but it seems there is a unneeded call to msleep and rather trivial fix me to fix in the file,exynos_mipi_dsi_common.c for the function,exynos_mipi_dsi_wr_data . If there is a valid reason for this call please let me known when any of you  have some free time. Otherwise I will send in a patch to remove this unneeded
call to msleep.
Thanks,
Nick

From: nick @ 2014-12-17 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Greetings Fellow Maintainers,
Sorry if I wasting your time but it seems there is a unneeded call to msleep and rather trivial fix me to fix in the file,exynos_mipi_dsi_common.c for the function,exynos_mipi_dsi_wr_data . If there is a valid reason for this call please let me known when any of you  have some free time. Otherwise I will send in a patch to remove this unneeded
call to msleep.
Thanks,
Nick

* Re: Weird/Unneeded call to msleep in exynos_mipi_dsi_wr_data in exynos_mipi_dsi_common.c
  (?)
@ 2014-12-18 10:26   ` Krzysztof Kozłowski
From: Krzysztof Kozłowski @ 2014-12-18 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nick, inki.dae
  Cc: linux-fbdev, linux-samsung-soc, dh09.lee, linux-kernel,

On 17.12.2014 23:57, nick wrote:
> Greetings Fellow Maintainers,
> Sorry if I wasting your time but it seems there is a unneeded call to msleep

Hi,

1. Please describe exactly why do you think this is not needed.
2. Do you have Exynos-based hardware to test your changes?

Best regards,
Krzysztof

From: Krzysztof Kozłowski @ 2014-12-18 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

From: Krzysztof Kozłowski @ 2014-12-18 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2014-12-18 13:35     ` nick
From: nick @ 2014-12-18 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krzysztof Kozłowski, inki.dae
  Cc: linux-fbdev, linux-samsung-soc, dh09.lee, linux-kernel,
	kyungmin.park, tomi.valkeinen, kgene, plagnioj, linux-arm-kernel

Krzysztof,
If we look at the code for this function, it already is handling the data correctly. In addition  the locks
seem to be better protection then msleep. Further more is no reason for this delay as we are neither resetting
the hardware or waiting for the hardware here so why is it needed? I don't have Exynos based hardware lying
around through to test it.
Nick

@ 2014-12-18 13:39       ` Lucas Stach
From: Lucas Stach @ 2014-12-18 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nick
  Cc: Krzysztof Kozłowski, inki.dae, linux-fbdev,
	linux-samsung-soc, dh09.lee, linux-kernel, kyungmin.park,

Am Donnerstag, den 18.12.2014, 08:35 -0500 schrieb nick:
> Krzysztof,
> If we look at the code for this function, it already is handling the data correctly. In addition  the locks
> seem to be better protection then msleep. Further more is no reason for this delay as we are neither resetting
> the hardware or waiting for the hardware here so why is it needed? I don't have Exynos based hardware lying
> around through to test it.

If you can't test it, don't touch it. It's that simple.

Regards,
Lucas
--
Pengutronix e.K.             | Lucas Stach                 |
Industrial Linux Solutions   | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |

From: Lucas Stach @ 2014-12-18 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

From: Lucas Stach @ 2014-12-18 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2014-12-18 13:48         ` nick
From: nick @ 2014-12-18 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lucas Stach
  Cc: Krzysztof Kozłowski, linux-samsung-soc, dh09.lee,
	linux-fbdev, linux-kernel, inki.dae, kyungmin.park,
	tomi.valkeinen, kgene, plagnioj, linux-arm-kernel

Lucas,
That's fair do you known of anyone who does have the hardware so we can test my patch. If you do then we can get this fixed rather
easily.
Cheers Nick

@ 2014-12-18 14:05           ` Tomi Valkeinen
From: Tomi Valkeinen @ 2014-12-18 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nick
  Cc: Lucas Stach, Krzysztof Kozłowski, inki.dae, linux-fbdev,
	linux-samsung-soc, dh09.lee, linux-kernel, kyungmin.park, kgene,
	plagnioj, linux-arm-kernel

On 18/12/14 15:48, nick wrote:
> Lucas,
> That's fair do you known of anyone who does have the hardware so we can test my patch. If you do then we can get this fixed rather
> easily.
> Cheers Nick
>
> On 2014-12-18 08:39 AM, Lucas Stach wrote:
>> Am Donnerstag, den 18.12.2014, 08:35 -0500 schrieb nick:
>>> Krzysztof,
>>> If we look at the code for this function, it already is handling the data correctly. In addition  the locks
>>> seem to be better protection then msleep. Further more is no reason for this delay as we are neither resetting
>>> the hardware or waiting for the hardware here so why is it needed? I don't have Exynos based hardware lying
>>> around through to test it.
>>
>> If you can't test it, don't touch it. It's that simple.

There seems to be multiple msleep(20)s in exynos_mipi_dsi_common.c, a
few with /* FIXME */ and a few without any comments. Looks like bad (but
relatively harmless) code to me, but as Lucas said, if you can't test
it, don't touch it.

 Tomi

From: Tomi Valkeinen @ 2014-12-18 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

From: Tomi Valkeinen @ 2014-12-18 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2014-12-18 14:08             ` nick
From: nick @ 2014-12-18 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomi Valkeinen
  Cc: Krzysztof Kozłowski, linux-samsung-soc, dh09.lee,
	linux-fbdev, linux-kernel, inki.dae, kyungmin.park, kgene,
	plagnioj, linux-arm-kernel, Lucas Stach

On 2014-12-18 09:05 AM, Tomi Valkeinen wrote:
> On 18/12/14 15:48, nick wrote:
>> Lucas,
>> That's fair do you known of anyone who does have the hardware so we can test my patch. If you do then we can get this fixed rather
>> easily.
>> Cheers Nick

>>> If you can't test it, don't touch it. It's that simple.
>
> There seems to be multiple msleep(20)s in exynos_mipi_dsi_common.c, a
> few with /* FIXME */ and a few without any comments. Looks like bad (but
> relatively harmless) code to me, but as Lucas said, if you can't test
> it, don't touch it.
>
>  Tomi

Tomi,
That is totally fair, sorry for wasting your time :(. I was just trying to help out.
Cheers Nick

From: nick @ 2014-12-18 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel