* [Qemu-devel] [question] block: do we have any consideration about adding retry support in error handling?
@ 2014-12-25  1:57 Bin Wu
From: Bin Wu @ 2014-12-25  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel
  Cc: Kevin Wolf, pbonzini@redhat.com >> Paolo Bonzini, Stefan Hajnoczi

Hi,

When IO error happens in physical device, qemu block layer supports error
reporting, error ignoring and error stoping(for example, virtio-blk). Can we
have any way to resend the error IO?

thanks
--
Bin Wu

* Re: [Qemu-devel] [question] block: do we have any consideration about adding retry support in error handling?
@ 2014-12-25  2:42 ` Fam Zheng
From: Fam Zheng @ 2014-12-25  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bin Wu
  Cc: Kevin Wolf, pbonzini@redhat.com >> Paolo Bonzini,
	qemu-devel, Stefan Hajnoczi

On Thu, 12/25 09:57, Bin Wu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When IO error happens in physical device, qemu block layer supports error
> reporting, error ignoring and error stoping(for example, virtio-blk). Can we
> have any way to resend the error IO?

With error stop, the request is retried after resume.

Fam

* Re: [Qemu-devel] [question] block: do we have any consideration about adding retry support in error handling?
@ 2014-12-25  3:46   ` Bin Wu
From: Bin Wu @ 2014-12-25  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fam Zheng
  Cc: Kevin Wolf, pbonzini@redhat.com >> Paolo Bonzini,
	qemu-devel, Stefan Hajnoczi

On 2014/12/25 10:42, Fam Zheng wrote:
> On Thu, 12/25 09:57, Bin Wu wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When IO error happens in physical device, qemu block layer supports error
>> reporting, error ignoring and error stoping(for example, virtio-blk). Can we
>> have any way to resend the error IO?
>
> With error stop, the request is retried after resume.
>
> Fam

Thank you very much, Fam, I see. Another question: I think error stop is not the
default error handling strategy, how can we configure error stop in the VM XML
file? Can you just show me some example? Thanks again:>

--

@ 2014-12-25  7:19     ` Fam Zheng
From: Fam Zheng @ 2014-12-25  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bin Wu
  Cc: Kevin Wolf, pbonzini@redhat.com >> Paolo Bonzini,
	qemu-devel, Stefan Hajnoczi

On Thu, 12/25 11:46, Bin Wu wrote:
> On 2014/12/25 10:42, Fam Zheng wrote:
> > On Thu, 12/25 09:57, Bin Wu wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> When IO error happens in physical device, qemu block layer supports error
> >> reporting, error ignoring and error stoping(for example, virtio-blk). Can we
> >> have any way to resend the error IO?
> >
> > With error stop, the request is retried after resume.
> >
> > Fam
> >

> Thank you very much, Fam, I see. Another question: I think error stop is not the
> default error handling strategy, how can we configure error stop in the VM XML
> file? Can you just show me some example? Thanks again:>

This is a question for libvirt, look for "error_policy":

https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html

Fam

* Re: [Qemu-devel] [question] block: do we have any consideration about adding retry support in error handling?
@ 2014-12-25  9:19       ` Bin Wu
From: Bin Wu @ 2014-12-25  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fam Zheng
  Cc: Kevin Wolf, pbonzini@redhat.com >> Paolo Bonzini,
	qemu-devel, Stefan Hajnoczi

On 2014/12/25 15:19, Fam Zheng wrote:
> On Thu, 12/25 11:46, Bin Wu wrote:

>>> With error stop, the request is retried after resume.
>>>
>>> Fam
>>>

>> Thank you very much, Fam, I see. Another question: I think error stop is not the
>> default error handling strategy, how can we configure error stop in the VM XML
>> file? Can you just show me some example? Thanks again:>
>
> This is a question for libvirt, look for "error_policy":
>
> https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html
>
> Fam

yes,
<driver name='qemu' type='qcow2' cache='none' error_policy='stop' io='native'/>

Bin Wu