* dm_mirror/dm_raid1 limitations ?.
@ 2015-01-26 13:51 Suresh Babu Kandukuru
From: Suresh Babu Kandukuru @ 2015-01-26 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-devel

Use case is : Two luns are mapped from storage array to linux host which are in same SAN fabric . we want to create a mirror on the linux host with these two luns and let  host use that mirror lun .  basic tests suggest that dm_mirror working fine . when we have any intermittent path issues with between host and san array , host i/o just freeze , never returns back even after the path is online.

Is dm_mirror viable solution here  ?. Can you point me any link which gives the limitations of dm_mirror ? . another alternate solutions you propose here ?. Thanks in advance .

Thanks

/Suresh

* Re: dm_mirror/dm_raid1 limitations ?.
@ 2015-01-26 14:16 ` Heinz Mauelshagen
From: Heinz Mauelshagen @ 2015-01-26 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-devel

On 01/26/2015 02:51 PM, Suresh Babu Kandukuru wrote:

> Use case is : Two luns are mapped from storage array to linux host
> which are in same SAN fabric . we want to create a mirror on the linux
> host with these two luns and let  host use that mirror lun .  basic
> tests suggest that dm_mirror working fine . when we have any
> intermittent path issues with between host and san array , host i/o
> just freeze , never returns back even after the path is online.

Hard to tell what's happening without any kernel log.

> Is dm_mirror viable solution here  ?. Can you point me any link which
> gives the limitations of dm_mirror ? . another alternate solutions you
> propose here ?. Thanks in advance .

We've switched the default away from "mirror" to "raid1" in order to
take advantage of th MD runtime.
Have you tested  "lvcreate --type raid1 ..." yet?
Please do.

Regards,
Heinz

@ 2015-01-26 15:34   ` suresh.babu.kandukuru
From: suresh.babu.kandukuru @ 2015-01-26 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: device-mapper development

Heinzm,thanks for the quick reply.. We are using dmestup create mirror ..as we want to do that on physical San lun (block devices) ... Not the one ( lv create ) you mentioned below.. Is there any advantage going with logical volume approach lvcreate -type

/Suresh

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2015-01-26 19:01     ` Marian Csontos
From: Marian Csontos @ 2015-01-26 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-devel

On 01/26/2015 04:34 PM, suresh.babu.kandukuru@oracle.com wrote:
> Heinzm,thanks for the quick reply.. We are using dmestup create
> mirror ..as we want to do that on physical San lun (block devices)
> ... Not the one ( lv create ) you mentioned below.. Is there any
> advantage going with logical volume approach lvcreate -type

One of LVM features is monitoring of mirror/raid LVs and
removing/replacing any missing legs.

Using dmsetup directly, you have to do this manually.

@ 2015-01-28  4:03       ` Suresh Babu Kandukuru
From: Suresh Babu Kandukuru @ 2015-01-28  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: device-mapper development

What is difference of  creating mirror with

1 ) mdadm (    mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=mirror --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 --spare-devices=1 /dev/sdd1 )
and
2)  dmsetup ( dmsetp create mirror )

Which one is better ?. and Pros and cons ?. Google is not helping much

/Suresh