* [Printing-architecture] Projects for GSoC 2015: Implementing PWG standards
@ 2015-01-26 14:33 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2015-01-26 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Printing-architecture

Hi,

I would like to open some student projects implementing PWG and IPP
standards, especially for the following three areas:

1. Printer maintenance
----------------------

system-config-printer should get a printer maintenance part doing things
like firmware update, ink/toner/consumable check, assign paper
sizes/types to trays, ... The part should be completely based in
standards to work with all conforming printers (IPP and IPP-over-USB).

2. SANE driver for IPP scanners
-------------------------------

This SANE driver allows scanning with the scanner parts of
multi-function printers connected via IPP and IPP-over-USB which
conformto appropriate IPP standards with all common scanning frontends
under Linux.

3. Fax wih IPP multi-function printers
--------------------------------------

Fax integration in he Linux desktop with PWG-Standard-conforming fax
parts in multi-function devices via IPP and IPP-over-USB.

Before creating the descriptions of the project ideas and posting them I
want to ask for some help:

1. Which PWG standards have to be implemented for each of the ideas above?

2. Would these be feasable by one student in one GSoC or are there
suggestions to split the projects to get them doe by more than one student?

3. Are there further ideas which we could post for the GSoC?

I appreciate any contribution.

    Till

* Re: [Printing-architecture] Projects for GSoC 2015: Implementing PWG standards
@ 2015-01-26 16:20 ` Michael Sweet
From: Michael Sweet @ 2015-01-26 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter; +Cc: printing-architecture@lists.linux-foundation.org

Till,

> On Jan 26, 2015, at 9:33 AM, Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter@gmail.com> wrote:
> 3. Fax wih IPP multi-function printers
> --------------------------------------
>
> Fax integration in he Linux desktop with PWG-Standard-conforming fax parts in multi-function devices via IPP and IPP-over-USB.

This is really just a matter of creating fax queues with PPDs containing "*cupsFax: true" and providing UI for the cover page (phone number, recipient, sender, subject, description, etc.)

CUPS itself already supports fax queues.

(and that is just if you feel there is enough demand for it - "PC fax" is increasingly not a supported MFP feature)

* Re: [Printing-architecture] Projects for GSoC 2015: Implementing PWG standards
@ 2015-01-26 21:55   ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2015-01-26 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Sweet; +Cc: printing-architecture@lists.linux-foundation.org

On 26.01.2015 14:20, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Till,
>
>> On Jan 26, 2015, at 9:33 AM, Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 3. Fax wih IPP multi-function printers
>> --------------------------------------
>>
>> Fax integration in he Linux desktop with PWG-Standard-conforming fax parts in multi-function devices via IPP and IPP-over-USB.
>
> This is really just a matter of creating fax queues with PPDs containing "*cupsFax: true" and providing UI for the cover page (phone number, recipient, sender, subject, description, etc.)
>
> CUPS itself already supports fax queues.
>
> (and that is just if you feel there is enough demand for it - "PC fax" is increasingly not a supported MFP feature)

So the missing piece here is support by the GTK and Qt print dialogs.
And at least Marek Kasik from GTK does not like to mentor GSoC students
... At least we should post feature requests for the two dialogs.

So let us prepare the first two points (and any new suggestion) as
project ideas for the GSoC.

@ 2015-01-27  1:59 ` Ira McDonald
From: Ira McDonald @ 2015-01-27  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter, Ira McDonald; +Cc: Printing-architecture

Hi Till,

Inline in BLUE

Cheers,
- Ira

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 9:33 AM, Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to open some student projects implementing PWG and IPP
> standards, especially for the following three areas:
>
> 1. Printer maintenance
> ----------------------
>
> system-config-printer should get a printer maintenance part doing things
> like firmware update, ink/toner/consumable check, assign paper sizes/types
> to trays, ... The part should be completely based in standards to work with
> all conforming printers (IPP and IPP-over-USB).

<ira> The IPP standard for uploading firmware will only be in the
work-in-progress
IPP System Service (milestone of Q3/Q4 2015 for Prototype draft).
Actually doing
the reboot to the new firmware is currently just an idea of mine for a new
operation
in IPP System Service.

Not sure at all about assigning paper sizes/types to trays - certainly IPP
System
Service will only be able to READ (but not WRITE) summaries of Printer MIB
subunits (e.g. InputTray) - might be able to be done with IPP JPS3 by
setting the
"printer-input-tray", "media-source", and/or "media-source-properties".
- Mike?

@ 2015-01-27 12:53   ` Michael Sweet
From: Michael Sweet @ 2015-01-27 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald
  Cc: printing-architecture@lists.linux-foundation.org, Till Kamppeter

Ira,

> On Jan 26, 2015, at 8:59 PM, Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic@gmail.com> wrote:
> <ira> The IPP standard for uploading firmware will only be in the work-in-progress
> IPP System Service (milestone of Q3/Q4 2015 for Prototype draft).   Actually doing
> the reboot to the new firmware is currently just an idea of mine for a new operation
> in IPP System Service.

There are a lot of security issues to address with firmware updates, and we'll need widespread adoption to make this useful.  On the consumer end of printers, most now offer updates via their control panels and/or web interfaces, and on the high end you need a service engineer to apply the update.

In any case, I don't see this as a GSoC 2015 project (2016?)

> Not sure at all about assigning paper sizes/types to trays - certainly IPP System
> Service will only be able to READ (but not WRITE) summaries of Printer MIB
> subunits (e.g. InputTray) - might be able to be done with IPP JPS3 by setting the
> "printer-input-tray", "media-source", and/or "media-source-properties".
> - Mike?

Yes, those are potentially READ-WRITE, assuming that the printer makes them so (most  don't).

@ 2015-01-27 13:34     ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2015-01-27 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Sweet, Ira McDonald
  Cc: printing-architecture@lists.linux-foundation.org

On 27.01.2015 10:53, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Ira,
>
>> On Jan 26, 2015, at 8:59 PM, Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <ira> The IPP standard for uploading firmware will only be in the work-in-progress
>> IPP System Service (milestone of Q3/Q4 2015 for Prototype draft).   Actually doing
>> the reboot to the new firmware is currently just an idea of mine for a new operation
>> in IPP System Service.
>
> There are a lot of security issues to address with firmware updates, and we'll need widespread adoption to make this useful.  On the consumer end of printers, most now offer updates via their control panels and/or web interfaces, and on the high end you need a service engineer to apply the update.
>
> In any case, I don't see this as a GSoC 2015 project (2016?)

OK, so my suggestions (1) and (3) are not (yet) suitable for a GSoC project.

WDYT about my suggestion (2), the SANE drier for IPP network scanners?
Is the standard already in a usable state? Are there already MF devices
with standard-conforming scanners?

Ira, what were your ideas of implementing PWG standards in GSoC projects?

@ 2015-01-27 13:37     ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2015-01-27 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Sweet, Ira McDonald
  Cc: printing-architecture@lists.linux-foundation.org

@ 2015-01-27 14:25       ` Michael Sweet
From: Michael Sweet @ 2015-01-27 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter; +Cc: printing-architecture@lists.linux-foundation.org

Till,

I am not aware of any shipping MFDs or scanners that support IPP Scan yet...

@ 2015-01-27 16:01       ` Ira McDonald
From: Ira McDonald @ 2015-01-27 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter, Ira McDonald
  Cc: printing-architecture@lists.linux-foundation.org

Hi Till,

I'm not sure that there are recent IPP standards that are suitable for GSoC
2015
projects.

I have reservations about SANE, because it competes with new IPP Scan
Service,
but doesn't add any value (that I can see).

IPP Everywhere self-certification is moving forward, but slower than we all
hoped.

IPP Finishings 2.0, IPP FaxOut, IPP Scan are all good technology, but much
too
new to be widely deployed in shipping printers.

IPP MSN 2.0 (Media Standardized Names) does do important extensions to
media properties that would be worth reflecting in client print UIs, but it
might be hard to get
a student excited about more complete and accurate media properties.

IPP JPS3 (Job and Printer Extensions Set 3) is full of good stuff - high
value
new attributes include "ipp-features-supported", "job-contraints-supported",
"media-source-supported", "preferred-attributes-supported",
"printer-geo-location", "printer-get-attributes-supported", "printer-icons",
"printer-mandatory-job-attributes", and "printer-supply".  Many of these are
required by the subsequent IPP Everywhere spec, but it's IPP Everywhere
that will be the impetus for widespread adoption, I think.

We should talk about GSoC 2015 more after next week's PWG F2F meeting.

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic@gmail.com

@ 2015-01-27 16:44         ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2015-01-27 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald; +Cc: printing-architecture@lists.linux-foundation.org

On 27.01.2015 14:01, Ira McDonald wrote:
> Hi Till,
>
> I'm not sure that there are recent IPP standards that are suitable for
> GSoC 2015
> projects.

So then I will simply re-post what did not get taken last year.

> I have reservations about SANE, because it competes with new IPP Scan
> Service,
> but doesn't add any value (that I can see).

The value is that common scan frontends (simple-scan, X-Sane, scan
functionality of LibreOffice, ...) can be used with IPP scanners.

> IPP Everywhere self-certification is moving forward, but slower than we
> all hoped.

And I do not see where this would benefit from a GSoC project.

> IPP Finishings 2.0, IPP FaxOut, IPP Scan are all good technology, but
> much too
> new to be widely deployed in shipping printers.

Are the standard ready for use? Is it only the manufacturers not
adopting them? If the standard is ready and at least one somewhat
available device on the market it should already be enough for a GSoC
project (at least if there is a good chance of wide adoption in the near
future).

> IPP MSN 2.0 (Media Standardized Names) does do important extensions to
> media properties that would be worth reflecting in client print UIs, but
> it might be hard to get
> a student excited about more complete and accurate media properties.

This looks like some of the boring thingies which one can get only done
if one pays someone for it. And if one is not able to find students to
make a Common Print Dialog then one will never, ever find one for this.

> IPP JPS3 (Job and Printer Extensions Set 3) is full of good stuff - high
> value
> new attributes include "ipp-features-supported", "job-contraints-supported",
> "media-source-supported", "preferred-attributes-supported",
> "printer-geo-location", "printer-get-attributes-supported", "printer-icons",
> "printer-mandatory-job-attributes", and "printer-supply".  Many of these are
> required by the subsequent IPP Everywhere spec, but it's IPP Everywhere
> that will be the impetus for widespread adoption, I think.

This is what could perhaps make up a project, like "Extend
system-config-printer to poll printer capabilities and features via IPP
based on IPP JPS3)".

> We should talk about GSoC 2015 more after next week's PWG F2F meeting.

OK, you could also talk about the GSoC as possible implementation
platform for standards on the meeting.

    Till