* questions about bitbake world
@ 2012-04-10  8:24 Robert Yang
From: Robert Yang @ 2012-04-10  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bitbake-devel

Hello experts,

In the following code:

def buildWorldTargetList(self):
         for f in self.status.possible_world:
             terminal = True
             pn = self.status.pkg_fn[f]

             for p in pn_provides[pn]:
                 if p.startswith('virtual/'):
                     parselog.debug(2, "World build skipping %s due to %s
provider starting with virtual/", f, p)
                     terminal = False
                     break

Does it mean that if a recipe contains:

PROVIDES = "virtual/something"

Then it would not be built until a pkg depends on it? Why we design it in this
way, please?

--
Thanks

Robert

* Re: questions about bitbake world
@ 2012-04-10 13:58 ` Chris Larson
From: Chris Larson @ 2012-04-10 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Yang; +Cc: bitbake-devel

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 1:24 AM, Robert Yang <liezhi.yang@windriver.com> wrote:
> In the following code:
>
> def buildWorldTargetList(self):
>        for f in self.status.possible_world:
>            terminal = True
>            pn = self.status.pkg_fn[f]
>
>            for p in pn_provides[pn]:
>                if p.startswith('virtual/'):
>                    parselog.debug(2, "World build skipping %s due to %s
> provider starting with virtual/", f, p)
>                    terminal = False
>                    break
>
> Does it mean that if a recipe contains:
>
> PROVIDES = "virtual/something"
>
> Then it would not be built until a pkg depends on it? Why we design it in
> this
> way, please?

The original intent with world was that when two recipes provided the
same thing, we'd still only want to build one of them, not both, as
building both can cause problems with stepping on one another in
sysroot, etc.
--
Christopher Larson

* Re: questions about bitbake world
@ 2012-04-10 14:12   ` Robert Yang
From: Robert Yang @ 2012-04-10 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Larson; +Cc: bitbake-devel

On 04/10/2012 09:58 PM, Chris Larson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 1:24 AM, Robert Yang<liezhi.yang@windriver.com>  wrote:
>> In the following code:
>>
>> def buildWorldTargetList(self):
>>         for f in self.status.possible_world:
>>             terminal = True
>>             pn = self.status.pkg_fn[f]
>>
>>             for p in pn_provides[pn]:
>>                 if p.startswith('virtual/'):
>>                     parselog.debug(2, "World build skipping %s due to %s
>> provider starting with virtual/", f, p)
>>                     terminal = False
>>                     break
>>
>> Does it mean that if a recipe contains:
>>
>> PROVIDES = "virtual/something"
>>
>> Then it would not be built until a pkg depends on it? Why we design it in
>> this
>> way, please?
>
> The original intent with world was that when two recipes provided the
> same thing, we'd still only want to build one of them, not both, as
> building both can cause problems with stepping on one another in
> sysroot, etc.

Thanks for your reply, but it seems that it builts none currently.

@ 2012-04-10 14:15     ` Chris Larson
From: Chris Larson @ 2012-04-10 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Yang; +Cc: bitbake-devel

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 7:12 AM, Robert Yang <liezhi.yang@windriver.com> wrote:
> On 04/10/2012 09:58 PM, Chris Larson wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 1:24 AM, Robert Yang<liezhi.yang@windriver.com>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> In the following code:
>>>
>>> def buildWorldTargetList(self):
>>>        for f in self.status.possible_world:
>>>            terminal = True
>>>            pn = self.status.pkg_fn[f]
>>>
>>>            for p in pn_provides[pn]:
>>>                if p.startswith('virtual/'):
>>>                    parselog.debug(2, "World build skipping %s due to %s
>>> provider starting with virtual/", f, p)
>>>                    terminal = False
>>>                    break
>>>
>>> Does it mean that if a recipe contains:
>>>
>>> PROVIDES = "virtual/something"
>>>
>>> Then it would not be built until a pkg depends on it? Why we design it in
>>> this
>>> way, please?
>>

>> The original intent with world was that when two recipes provided the
>> same thing, we'd still only want to build one of them, not both, as
>> building both can cause problems with stepping on one another in
>> sysroot, etc.
>

> Thanks for your reply, but it seems that it builts none currently.

Fair point, I think in certain cases we also only wanted to build
things if they got pulled in via a dependency. For example, iirc
native and cross both exclude themselves from world via a variable set
in the classes. I don't recall if such was the case here, however.
--
Christopher Larson

* Re: questions about bitbake world
@ 2012-04-13  0:52       ` Robert Yang
From: Robert Yang @ 2012-04-13  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Larson; +Cc: bitbake-devel

Thanks, is there a way to skip the pkg if I don't want to build it
when bitbake world, please?

// Robert

@ 2012-04-13  2:44         ` Christopher Larson
From: Christopher Larson @ 2012-04-13  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)