* Can the patch adding support for the Tasco USB microscope be queued up?
@ 2015-02-16 15:08 Steven Zakulec
From: Steven Zakulec @ 2015-02-16 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media; +Cc: Michael Hall

Hi, as an owner of a Tasco/Aveo USB microscope detected but not
working under Linux, I'd really like to see the patch adding this
variant added to the kernel.  I've copied the patch's author on the
email.
The people on the linux-uvc-devel list directed me over here.

The patch here:
http://sourceforge.net/p/linux-uvc/mailman/message/32434617/ , itself
an update of an earlier patch:
http://sourceforge.net/p/linux-uvc/mailman/message/29835445/ works.
The patch does make the USB microscope work where it didn't work at all before.

Thank you!

* Re: Can the patch adding support for the Tasco USB microscope be queued up?
@ 2015-02-16 15:31 ` Michael Hall
From: Michael Hall @ 2015-02-16 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Zakulec, linux-media

This is now the 3rd or 4th email to this list requesting that this patch
be merged in. If there is something wrong with the patch that needs
fixing, please let me know and I will work on the fix. Otherwise I've
lost interest in pushing to get it into upstream.

Michael Hall
mhall119@gmail.com

@ 2015-02-16 15:40   ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2015-02-16 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hall, Steven Zakulec, linux-media

On 02/16/2015 04:31 PM, Michael Hall wrote:
> This is now the 3rd or 4th email to this list requesting that this patch
> be merged in. If there is something wrong with the patch that needs
> fixing, please let me know and I will work on the fix. Otherwise I've
> lost interest in pushing to get it into upstream.

I can't remember ever seeing a patch for that posted to the linux-media
mailinglist.

The best way is just to post the patch to this mailinglist, check that it
appears in patchwork (https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/project/linux-media/list/),
make sure you keep the author and correct Signed-off-by line and it's
*guaranteed* that someone will look at it, and merge it or reply to it
if there are problems.

Mails like 'please pick up a patch from some other git repo' are very
likely to be forgotten due to volume of other postings. Patchwork won't
pick them up and that's what we all rely on.

So if either of you can just post this as a properly formatted patch,
then it will be taken care of.

Regards,

	Hans

@ 2015-02-16 16:01     ` Michael Hall
From: Michael Hall @ 2015-02-16 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil, Steven Zakulec, linux-media

My apologies, the other emails were sent to linux-uvc-devel, not
linux-media.

Do you want an attached patch file, or simply a diff in the body of the
email? I'm also not clear on what you mean by "correct Signed-off-by
line", I have very little experience with git, I've mostly used bzr.

Michael Hall
mhall119@gmail.com

@ 2015-02-16 16:08       ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2015-02-16 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hall, Steven Zakulec, linux-media, Laurent Pinchart

On 02/16/2015 05:01 PM, Michael Hall wrote:
> My apologies, the other emails were sent to linux-uvc-devel, not
> linux-media.
>
> Do you want an attached patch file, or simply a diff in the body of the
> email? I'm also not clear on what you mean by "correct Signed-off-by
> line", I have very little experience with git, I've mostly used bzr.

This is a good link with the relevant information:

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Development:_How_to_submit_patches

Anyway, I checked where the original patch came from, and Laurent Pinchart
wrote it. Since he's kernel maintainer he knows all about well-formatted
patches and it's best if he just posts and merges his own patch :-)

Laurent, it's all yours!

Regards,

	Hans

@ 2015-02-16 18:35         ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2015-02-16 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil; +Cc: Michael Hall, Steven Zakulec, linux-media

Hi Hans,

On Monday 16 February 2015 17:08:52 Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On 02/16/2015 05:01 PM, Michael Hall wrote:
> > My apologies, the other emails were sent to linux-uvc-devel, not
> > linux-media.
> >
> > Do you want an attached patch file, or simply a diff in the body of the
> > email? I'm also not clear on what you mean by "correct Signed-off-by
> > line", I have very little experience with git, I've mostly used bzr.
>
> This is a good link with the relevant information:
>
> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Development:_How_to_submit_patches
>
> Anyway, I checked where the original patch came from, and Laurent Pinchart
> wrote it. Since he's kernel maintainer he knows all about well-formatted
> patches and it's best if he just posts and merges his own patch :-)
>
> Laurent, it's all yours!

I've sent the patch to linux-media and will include it in my next uvcvideo
pull request.

Steven, could you please send me the output of

lsusb -v -d '1871:0516'

(if possible running as root) on your system ?

> >> I can't remember ever seeing a patch for that posted to the linux-media
> >> mailinglist.
> >>
> >> The best way is just to post the patch to this mailinglist, check that it
> >> appears in patchwork
> >> (https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/project/linux-media/list/), make sure you
> >> keep the author and correct Signed-off-by line and it's *guaranteed*
> >> that someone will look at it, and merge it or reply to it if there are
> >> problems.
> >>
> >> Mails like 'please pick up a patch from some other git repo' are very
> >> likely to be forgotten due to volume of other postings. Patchwork won't
> >> pick them up and that's what we all rely on.
> >>
> >> So if either of you can just post this as a properly formatted patch,
> >> then it will be taken care of.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> 	Hans

Laurent Pinchart

* Re: Can the patch adding support for the Tasco USB microscope be queued up?
@ 2015-02-19  2:47           ` Steven Zakulec
From: Steven Zakulec @ 2015-02-19  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Pinchart; +Cc: Hans Verkuil, Michael Hall, linux-media

Here are the results of running lsusb -v -d '1871:0516' on my system
that has the patch applied:
Thanks for your help here!

Bus 001 Device 104: ID 1871:0516 Aveo Technology Corp.
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass          239 Miscellaneous Device
  bDeviceSubClass         2 ?
  bDeviceProtocol         1 Interface Association
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x1871 Aveo Technology Corp.
  idProduct          0x0516
  bcdDevice            3.07
  iManufacturer           1 AVEO Technology Corp.
  iProduct                2 USB2.0 Camera
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength          411
    bNumInterfaces          2
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              500mA
    Interface Association:
      bLength                 8
      bDescriptorType        11
      bFirstInterface         0
      bInterfaceCount         2
      bFunctionClass        255 Vendor Specific Class
      bFunctionSubClass       3
      bFunctionProtocol       0
      iFunction               2 USB2.0 Camera
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass      1
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              2 USB2.0 Camera
      ** UNRECOGNIZED:  0d 24 01 00 01 4d 00 80 c3 c9 01 01 01
      ** UNRECOGNIZED:  12 24 02 01 01 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 00 00 00
      ** UNRECOGNIZED:  09 24 03 02 01 01 00 04 00
      ** UNRECOGNIZED:  0b 24 05 03 01 00 00 02 1b 04 00
      ** UNRECOGNIZED:  1a 24 06 04 52 f2 b8 aa d1 8e 72 49 8c ed 96
b1 7f 04 40 8b 01 01 03 01 03 00
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x85  EP 5 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               7
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        1
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           0
      bInterfaceClass        14 Video
      bInterfaceSubClass      2 Video Streaming
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              0
      VideoStreaming Interface Descriptor:
        bLength                            14
        bDescriptorType                    36
        bDescriptorSubtype                  1 (INPUT_HEADER)
        bNumFormats                         1
        wTotalLength                      207
        bEndPointAddress                  131
        bmInfo                              0
        bTerminalLink                       2
        bStillCaptureMethod                 2
        bTriggerSupport                     1
        bTriggerUsage                       0
        bControlSize                        1
        bmaControls( 0)                    27
      VideoStreaming Interface Descriptor:
        bLength                            27
        bDescriptorType                    36
        bDescriptorSubtype                  4 (FORMAT_UNCOMPRESSED)
        bFormatIndex                        1
        bNumFrameDescriptors                5
        guidFormat
{59555932-0000-1000-8000-00aa00389b71}
        bBitsPerPixel                      16
        bDefaultFrameIndex                  1
        bAspectRatioX                       0
        bAspectRatioY                       0
        bmInterlaceFlags                 0x00
          Interlaced stream or variable: No
          Fields per frame: 2 fields
          Field 1 first: No
          Field pattern: Field 1 only
          bCopyProtect                      0
      VideoStreaming Interface Descriptor:
        bLength                            30
        bDescriptorType                    36
        bDescriptorSubtype                  5 (FRAME_UNCOMPRESSED)
        bFrameIndex                         1
        bmCapabilities                   0x00
          Still image unsupported
        wWidth                            640
        wHeight                           480
        dwMinBitRate                147456000
        dwMaxBitRate                147456000
        dwMaxVideoFrameBufferSize      614400
        dwDefaultFrameInterval         333333
        bFrameIntervalType                  1
        dwFrameInterval( 0)            333333
      VideoStreaming Interface Descriptor:
        bLength                            30
        bDescriptorType                    36
        bDescriptorSubtype                  5 (FRAME_UNCOMPRESSED)
        bFrameIndex                         3
        bmCapabilities                   0x00
          Still image unsupported
        wWidth                            320
        wHeight                           240
        dwMinBitRate                 36864000
        dwMaxBitRate                 36864000
        dwMaxVideoFrameBufferSize      153600
        dwDefaultFrameInterval         333333
        bFrameIntervalType                  1
        dwFrameInterval( 0)            333333
      VideoStreaming Interface Descriptor:
        bLength                            30
        bDescriptorType                    36
        bDescriptorSubtype                  5 (FRAME_UNCOMPRESSED)
        bFrameIndex                         5
        bmCapabilities                   0x00
          Still image unsupported
        wWidth                            352
        wHeight                           288
        dwMinBitRate                 48660480
        dwMaxBitRate                 48660480
        dwMaxVideoFrameBufferSize      202752
        dwDefaultFrameInterval         333333
        bFrameIntervalType                  1
        dwFrameInterval( 0)            333333
      VideoStreaming Interface Descriptor:
        bLength                            30
        bDescriptorType                    36
        bDescriptorSubtype                  5 (FRAME_UNCOMPRESSED)
        bFrameIndex                         9
        bmCapabilities                   0x00
          Still image unsupported
        wWidth                           1280
        wHeight                           960
        dwMinBitRate                157286400
        dwMaxBitRate                157286400
        dwMaxVideoFrameBufferSize     2457600
        dwDefaultFrameInterval        1250000
        bFrameIntervalType                  1
        dwFrameInterval( 0)           1250000
      VideoStreaming Interface Descriptor:
        bLength                            30
        bDescriptorType                    36
        bDescriptorSubtype                  5 (FRAME_UNCOMPRESSED)
        bFrameIndex                        10
        bmCapabilities                   0x00
          Still image unsupported
        wWidth                           1280
        wHeight                          1024
        dwMinBitRate                157286400
        dwMaxBitRate                157286400
        dwMaxVideoFrameBufferSize     2621440
        dwDefaultFrameInterval        1250000
        bFrameIntervalType                  1
        dwFrameInterval( 0)           1250000
      VideoStreaming Interface Descriptor:
        bLength                            10
        bDescriptorType                    36
        bDescriptorSubtype                  3 (STILL_IMAGE_FRAME)
        bEndpointAddress                    0
        bNumImageSizePatterns               1
        wWidth( 0)                        640
        wHeight( 0)                       480
        bNumCompressionPatterns             1
      VideoStreaming Interface Descriptor:
        bLength                             6
        bDescriptorType                    36
        bDescriptorSubtype                 13 (COLORFORMAT)
        bColorPrimaries                     1 (BT.709,sRGB)
        bTransferCharacteristics            1 (BT.709)
        bMatrixCoefficients                 4 (SMPTE 170M (BT.601))
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        1
      bAlternateSetting       1
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass        14 Video
      bInterfaceSubClass      2 Video Streaming
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
        bmAttributes            5
          Transfer Type            Isochronous
          Synch Type               Asynchronous
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x020c  1x 524 bytes
        bInterval               1
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        1
      bAlternateSetting       2
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass        14 Video
      bInterfaceSubClass      2 Video Streaming
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
        bmAttributes            5
          Transfer Type            Isochronous
          Synch Type               Asynchronous
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x030c  1x 780 bytes
        bInterval               1
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        1
      bAlternateSetting       3
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass        14 Video
      bInterfaceSubClass      2 Video Streaming
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
        bmAttributes            5
          Transfer Type            Isochronous
          Synch Type               Asynchronous
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x03fc  1x 1020 bytes
        bInterval               1
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        1
      bAlternateSetting       4
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass        14 Video
      bInterfaceSubClass      2 Video Streaming
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
        bmAttributes            5
          Transfer Type            Isochronous
          Synch Type               Asynchronous
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0bfc  2x 1020 bytes
        bInterval               1
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        1
      bAlternateSetting       5
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass        14 Video
      bInterfaceSubClass      2 Video Streaming
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
        bmAttributes            5
          Transfer Type            Isochronous
          Synch Type               Asynchronous
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x13fc  3x 1020 bytes
        bInterval               1
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
  bLength                10
  bDescriptorType         6
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass          239 Miscellaneous Device
  bDeviceSubClass         2 ?
  bDeviceProtocol         1 Interface Association
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  bNumConfigurations      1
Device Status:     0x0000
  (Bus Powered)

@ 2015-02-24  1:18             ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2015-02-24  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Zakulec; +Cc: Hans Verkuil, Michael Hall, linux-media

Hi Steven,

On Wednesday 18 February 2015 21:47:58 Steven Zakulec wrote:
> Here are the results of running lsusb -v -d '1871:0516' on my system
> that has the patch applied:

Thank you.

> Thanks for your help here!

You're welcome. I'll include the device support patch in my v4.1 pull request.

Laurent Pinchart