* bug in iptables-restore and "recent" module
@ 2015-02-15 12:31 richard lucassen
From: richard lucassen @ 2015-02-15 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

When using the "recent" module and when the hitcount max (defaults to
20) is violated, "iptables-restore" is testing the file OK, but fails
on loading the filter table:

The file "iptables.save" contains the rule (note: "--hitcount 21"
exceeds the default max of 20):

-A INPUT  -m state --state NEW -p tcp --dport 443 -m recent --update
--name https --seconds 50 --hitcount 21 -j REJECT

The -t option (test file) shows an OK:

# iptables-restore -t < iptables.save
# echo $?
0

But:

# iptables-restore < iptables.save
iptables-restore: line 180 failed

On line 180 there is the "COMMIT" of the filter table.

Distro: Debian testing
# iptables --version
iptables v1.4.21

R.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak
aloud and remove all doubt.

| Richard Lucassen, Utrecht                                        |

* Re: bug in iptables-restore and "recent" module
@ 2015-02-15 23:08 ` Pascal Hambourg
From: Pascal Hambourg @ 2015-02-15 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

richard lucassen a écrit :
> When using the "recent" module and when the hitcount max (defaults to
> 20) is violated, "iptables-restore" is testing the file OK, but fails
> on loading the filter table:
>
> The file "iptables.save" contains the rule (note: "--hitcount 21"
> exceeds the default max of 20):
>
> -A INPUT  -m state --state NEW -p tcp --dport 443 -m recent --update
> --name https --seconds 50 --hitcount 21 -j REJECT
>
> The -t option (test file) shows an OK:
> But:
>
> # iptables-restore < iptables.save
> iptables-restore: line 180 failed
>
> On line 180 there is the "COMMIT" of the filter table.

That sounds like expected behaviour. Where's the bug ?

* Re: bug in iptables-restore and "recent" module
@ 2015-02-16 22:53   ` richard lucassen
From: richard lucassen @ 2015-02-16 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter; +Cc: Pascal Hambourg

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 00:08:41 +0100
Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:

> > On line 180 there is the "COMMIT" of the filter table.
>
> That sounds like expected behaviour. Where's the bug ?

I'd say in iptables-restore. Apparently the -t (test) does not notice
that there is a problem while the real iptables-restore does.

@ 2015-02-17  8:52     ` Pascal Hambourg
From: Pascal Hambourg @ 2015-02-17  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

richard lucassen a écrit :
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 00:08:41 +0100
> Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
>
>>> On line 180 there is the "COMMIT" of the filter table.
>> That sounds like expected behaviour. Where's the bug ?
>
> I'd say in iptables-restore. Apparently the -t (test) does not notice
> that there is a problem while the real iptables-restore does.

Sorry, my question was not clear enough. Let me rephrase.

As -t does not commit the tables to the kernel, I do not expect it to
detect errors related to the kernel configuration. So I do not see any
bug in your description, it sounds like expected behaviour to me. Where
do you see a bug in that behaviour ?

* Re: bug in iptables-restore and "recent" module
@ 2015-02-17 11:12       ` Dennis Jacobfeuerborn
From: Dennis Jacobfeuerborn @ 2015-02-17 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal Hambourg, netfilter

On 17.02.2015 09:52, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> richard lucassen a écrit :

>>> That sounds like expected behaviour. Where's the bug ?
>>
>> I'd say in iptables-restore. Apparently the -t (test) does not notice
>> that there is a problem while the real iptables-restore does.
>
> Sorry, my question was not clear enough. Let me rephrase.
>
> As -t does not commit the tables to the kernel, I do not expect it to
> detect errors related to the kernel configuration. So I do not see any
> bug in your description, it sounds like expected behaviour to me. Where
> do you see a bug in that behaviour ?

This should probably be mentioned in the man page. Most people would
think that if the ruleset passes a test with -t this means the ruleset
can be activated. Which part specifically of the mentioned rule is it
that cannot be tested without being committed the rule in the kernel?

Regards,
  Dennis

* Re: bug in iptables-restore and "recent" module
@ 2015-02-20 21:05       ` richard lucassen
From: richard lucassen @ 2015-02-20 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 09:52:54 +0100
Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:

> > I'd say in iptables-restore. Apparently the -t (test) does not
> > notice that there is a problem while the real iptables-restore does.
>
> Sorry, my question was not clear enough. Let me rephrase.
>
> As -t does not commit the tables to the kernel, I do not expect it to
> detect errors related to the kernel configuration. So I do not see any
> bug in your description, it sounds like expected behaviour to me.
> Where do you see a bug in that behaviour ?

You have a point :) And I agree with Dennis to add it to the
manpage.

@ 2015-02-20 21:22         ` Neal Murphy
From: Neal Murphy @ 2015-02-20 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

On Friday, February 20, 2015 04:05:44 PM richard lucassen wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 09:52:54 +0100
>
> Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
> > > I'd say in iptables-restore. Apparently the -t (test) does not
> > > notice that there is a problem while the real iptables-restore does.
> >
> > Sorry, my question was not clear enough. Let me rephrase.
> >
> > As -t does not commit the tables to the kernel, I do not expect it to
> > detect errors related to the kernel configuration. So I do not see any
> > bug in your description, it sounds like expected behaviour to me.
> > Where do you see a bug in that behaviour ?
>
> You have a point :) And I agree with Dennis to add it to the
> manpage.

To state it a little more explicitly:
  o '-t' can only validate the syntax; it cannot check the data
  o 'the kernel' validates the data

* Re: bug in iptables-restore and "recent" module
@ 2015-03-02  7:52         ` richard lucassen
From: richard lucassen @ 2015-03-02  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter; +Cc: Dennis Jacobfeuerborn

On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 12:12:30 +0100
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml@conversis.de> wrote:

> > As -t does not commit the tables to the kernel, I do not expect it
> > to detect errors related to the kernel configuration. So I do not
> > see any bug in your description, it sounds like expected behaviour
> > to me. Where do you see a bug in that behaviour ?
>
> This should probably be mentioned in the man page. Most people would
> think that if the ruleset passes a test with -t this means the ruleset
> can be activated. Which part specifically of the mentioned rule is it
> that cannot be tested without being committed the rule in the kernel?

--hitcount

Default is 20 and when --hitcount exceeds this value, "iptables-restore
-t" approves the syntax but the kernel does not accept this value.