* GSoc 2015 man-pages proposal: a parser for glibc feature test macros
@ 2015-02-19  8:30 Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
       [not found] ` <CAKgNAkgXgVjNDU=aSVXfdZ5xmo6TZ6qCXhVRNBqte69u6Kas3A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) @ 2015-02-19  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell; +Cc: libc-alpha-9JcytcrH/bA+uJoB2kUjGw, linux-man

Hi Carlos,

I wonder if I might be able to engage you as a backup mentor for a
GSoC project that I am proposing here:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/gsoc_2015.html

The basic idea is to produce a parser for glibc code to tell answer
the questions: what feature test macros (FTMs) can be defined to
expose the definition of function foo(). The purpose is then to use
that information to update FTM information contained in the man pages.
However, it would of course also be useful information for the glibc
manual, should the project wish to start documenting such things. (I
believe this information is little documented in the manual at the
moment.)

What do you think of the idea? And would you be willing to be a backup
mentor? (I expect little effort to be involved on your part, but GSoc
requires two mentors for a proposal.)

BTW, if any other glibc maintainer would be willing to act as a backup
mentor, I'd be happy hear from you.

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk

* Re: GSoc 2015 man-pages proposal: a parser for glibc feature test macros
       [not found] ` <CAKgNAkgXgVjNDU=aSVXfdZ5xmo6TZ6qCXhVRNBqte69u6Kas3A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-02-19 14:43   ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2015-02-19 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
  Cc: libc-alpha-9JcytcrH/bA+uJoB2kUjGw, linux-man

On 02/19/2015 03:30 AM, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> Hi Carlos,
>
> I wonder if I might be able to engage you as a backup mentor for a
> GSoC project that I am proposing here:
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/gsoc_2015.html
>
> The basic idea is to produce a parser for glibc code to tell answer
> the questions: what feature test macros (FTMs) can be defined to
> expose the definition of function foo(). The purpose is then to use
> that information to update FTM information contained in the man pages.
> However, it would of course also be useful information for the glibc
> manual, should the project wish to start documenting such things. (I
> believe this information is little documented in the manual at the
> moment.)
>
> What do you think of the idea? And would you be willing to be a backup
> mentor? (I expect little effort to be involved on your part, but GSoc
> requires two mentors for a proposal.)
>
> BTW, if any other glibc maintainer would be willing to act as a backup
> mentor, I'd be happy hear from you.

I would be happy to be a backup mentor.

The idea sounds interesting. I don't know that all combinations of
FTMs are designed to be allowed, and I expect that the result will
always need some human expert cleanup. Therefore it would be good
to have glibc developer review of the results. I'm not suggesting
I should be that reviewer, but the community should review to make
sure it's correct.

Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: GSoc 2015 man-pages proposal: a parser for glibc feature test macros
@ 2015-02-19 18:28     ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
       [not found]       ` <CAKgNAkjmcP=ZKJpPzXAgPXRTAG7pNK9Wr3DKDk+DVf3DJ07B6Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) @ 2015-02-19 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell; +Cc: libc-alpha, linux-man

Hi Carlis,

On 19 February 2015 at 15:43, Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 02/19/2015 03:30 AM, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
>> Hi Carlos,
>>
>> I wonder if I might be able to engage you as a backup mentor for a
>> GSoC project that I am proposing here:
>> https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/gsoc_2015.html
>>
>> The basic idea is to produce a parser for glibc code to tell answer
>> the questions: what feature test macros (FTMs) can be defined to
>> expose the definition of function foo(). The purpose is then to use
>> that information to update FTM information contained in the man pages.
>> However, it would of course also be useful information for the glibc
>> manual, should the project wish to start documenting such things. (I
>> believe this information is little documented in the manual at the
>> moment.)
>>
>> What do you think of the idea? And would you be willing to be a backup
>> mentor? (I expect little effort to be involved on your part, but GSoc
>> requires two mentors for a proposal.)
>>
>> BTW, if any other glibc maintainer would be willing to act as a backup
>> mentor, I'd be happy hear from you.
>
> I would be happy to be a backup mentor.

Thank you, Carlos! Do you by chance have a login on the GSoC system;
if so, I will add you as a project mentor there.

> The idea sounds interesting. I don't know that all combinations of
> FTMs are designed to be allowed, and I expect that the result will
> always need some human expert cleanup.

Agreed. But I hope for a tool that significantly eases the human task.

> Therefore it would be good
> to have glibc developer review of the results. I'm not suggesting
> I should be that reviewer, but the community should review to make
> sure it's correct.

Yes, review would be good. In the first instance, we have a lot of
existing mark-up in the man pages that can serve as an initial measure
of correctness. (Of course, the man pages are also not perfectly up to
date, so we'd discover the problems in the pages as we go.)

Cheers,

Michael

--

@ 2015-02-19 18:42         ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2015-02-19 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
  Cc: libc-alpha-9JcytcrH/bA+uJoB2kUjGw, linux-man

Should be carlos-v2tUB8YBRSi3e3T8WW9gsOG/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org

>> The idea sounds interesting. I don't know that all combinations of
>> FTMs are designed to be allowed, and I expect that the result will
>> always need some human expert cleanup.
>
> Agreed. But I hope for a tool that significantly eases the human task.

Absolutely.

>> Therefore it would be good
>> to have glibc developer review of the results. I'm not suggesting
>> I should be that reviewer, but the community should review to make
>> sure it's correct.
>
> Yes, review would be good. In the first instance, we have a lot of
> existing mark-up in the man pages that can serve as an initial measure
> of correctness. (Of course, the man pages are also not perfectly up to
> date, so we'd discover the problems in the pages as we go.)

Understood.

c.

* Re: GSoc 2015 man-pages proposal: a parser for glibc feature test macros
@ 2015-02-19 19:10           ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
       [not found]             ` <CAKgNAkju9r5_Q8Lw2QgJK2NeUxi222ebSKMfwiO998oK+YQr4A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) @ 2015-02-19 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell; +Cc: libc-alpha, linux-man

On 19 February 2015 at 19:42, Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 02/19/2015 01:28 PM, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
>>> I would be happy to be a backup mentor.
>>
>> Thank you, Carlos! Do you by chance have a login on the GSoC system;
>> if so, I will add you as a project mentor there.
>
> Should be carlos@systemhalted.org.

The GSoC system seems to think it wants a username, not an email address.

Thanks,

Michael

--

@ 2015-02-19 22:06               ` Carlos O'Donell
       [not found]                 ` <54E65E68.4040003-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2015-02-19 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
  Cc: libc-alpha-9JcytcrH/bA+uJoB2kUjGw, linux-man

On 02/19/2015 02:10 PM, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:

>>> Thank you, Carlos! Do you by chance have a login on the GSoC system;
>>> if so, I will add you as a project mentor there.
>>
>> Should be carlos-v2tUB8YBRSi3e3T8WW9gsOG/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org
>
> The GSoC system seems to think it wants a username, not an email address.

No idea then. How do I make one?

c.

@ 2015-02-20  6:42                   ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) @ 2015-02-20  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell; +Cc: libc-alpha-9JcytcrH/bA+uJoB2kUjGw, linux-man

On 19 February 2015 at 23:06, Carlos O'Donell <carlos-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 02/19/2015 02:10 PM, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:

>>> Should be carlos-v2tUB8YBRSi3e3T8WW9gsOG/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org
>>
>> The GSoC system seems to think it wants a username, not an email address.
>
> No idea then. How do I make one?

As I understand it, one must login with a google account here:
https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2015
and then create a username.

Cheers,

Michael

--

@ 2015-02-20 16:37                     ` Carlos O'Donell
       [not found]                       ` <54E762CD.7090708-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2015-02-20 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtk.manpages; +Cc: libc-alpha, linux-man

On 02/20/2015 01:42 AM, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> On 19 February 2015 at 23:06, Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:

>>> The GSoC system seems to think it wants a username, not an email address.
>>
>> No idea then. How do I make one?
>
> As I understand it, one must login with a google account here:
> https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2015
> and then create a username.

Google won't let me spell my name correctly as given to me by
my parents. Apparently they hate the Irish. I've worked around it.

Username: codonell

Cheers,
Carlos.

@ 2015-02-20 21:55                         ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
       [not found]                           ` <CAKgNAkgsUHYuLTVOvYj9BRaB_7mea_4BC6Q7ETvHWCk-1Kgfog-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) @ 2015-02-20 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell; +Cc: libc-alpha-9JcytcrH/bA+uJoB2kUjGw, linux-man

Hi Carlos,

On 20 February 2015 at 17:37, Carlos O'Donell <carlos-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 02/20/2015 01:42 AM, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:

>>> No idea then. How do I make one?
>>
>> As I understand it, one must login with a google account here:
>> https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2015
>> and then create a username.
>
> Google won't let me spell my name correctly as given to me by
> my parents. Apparently they hate the Irish. I've worked around it.
>
> Username: codonell

Okay -- I seem to see that name in the system.

I've attempted to assign you as an administrator for man-pages in
GSoC. Apparently, you must explicitly accept (today!)

Cheers,

Michael

--

@ 2015-02-20 22:13                             ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2015-02-20 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
  Cc: libc-alpha-9JcytcrH/bA+uJoB2kUjGw, linux-man

On 02/20/2015 04:55 PM, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> Okay -- I seem to see that name in the system.
>
> I've attempted to assign you as an administrator for man-pages in
> GSoC. Apparently, you must explicitly accept (today!)

Accepted.

Cheers,
Carlos.