* RFC: sysctl fixes
@ 2015-03-04 13:18 Marian Marinov
       [not found] ` <54F7061B.80002-NV7Lj0SOnH0@public.gmane.org>
From: Marian Marinov @ 2015-03-04 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello,
we are running hundreds of containers and we got some valid requests from customers that want to be able to change their
container's hostname using the sysctl command.

The current implementation does not allow each UTS namespace to change its own hostname.

So we sponsored the development of fix for this issue.

Please checkout the changes here:
  https://github.com/1HLtd/linux/compare/b24e2bdde4af656bb0679a101265ebb8f8735d3c...sysctl-hostname-fixes

If this fix is acceptable I'll send the patches as it is common. But first I want to know if you think this is the way
to go.

Thank you,
Marian

* Re: RFC: sysctl fixes
@ 2015-03-04 15:48 ` Stephan Mueller
       [not found] ` <54F7061B.80002-NV7Lj0SOnH0@public.gmane.org>
From: Stephan Mueller @ 2015-03-04 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marian Marinov; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi Marian,

The description in http://lwn.net/Articles/531381/ does not work?

>Thank you,
>Marian
>
>--

Ciao
Stephan

* Re: RFC: sysctl fixes
@ 2015-03-04 15:53   ` Marian Marinov
From: Marian Marinov @ 2015-03-04 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephan Mueller; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 03/04/2015 05:48 PM, Stephan Mueller wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 4. März 2015, 15:18:19 schrieb Marian Marinov:
>
> Hi Marian,
>
>> Hello,
>> we are running hundreds of containers and we got some valid requests
> >from customers that want to be able to change their container's
>> hostname using the sysctl command.
>>
>> The current implementation does not allow each UTS namespace to change
>> its own hostname.
>>
>> So we sponsored the development of fix for this issue.
>>
>> Please checkout the changes here:
>>
>> https://github.com/1HLtd/linux/compare/b24e2bdde4af656bb0679a101265ebb
>> 8f8735d3c...sysctl-hostname-fixes
>>
>> If this fix is acceptable I'll send the patches as it is common. But
>> first I want to know if you think this is the way to go.
> The description in http://lwn.net/Articles/531381/ does not work?

Stephan, the users can change the hostname of the container using the hostname command. I can also change their hostname
when I'm creating the containers.
However the customers need to be able to change the hostname of the machine using valid system command:

sysctl kernel.hostname=newhost
sysctl kernel.domainname=newdomain

Both of these commands try to talk to the kernel via the /proc filesystem. This is why we propose these fixes.
Without them, only the root on the host node can do this.

Correct me, if I'm wrong.

Marian

>> Thank you,
>> Marian